Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_0209 (2).JPG i was expecting more aroma from it but overall its a great beer probably hard to live up to the hype its reasonably fresh to bottled on the 12/9/13

I shared a bottle of 3 fountains oude gueze golden blend with a fellow brewer. Good sourness level, but very smooth, and good funk. Really easy to drink. Not cheap but I'd probably buy it again for special occasions.

Had a Port Brewing Lost Abbey Inferno and it was great! I am pretty sure I will try anything Lost Abbey related when it comes to NZ after this. Not as much heat as I expected with a name like Inferno but a great drop for sure!

View attachment 66262
Clarke's cathedral blonde 3.9%
A lovely ale from HB Clark Wakefield uk .
Selected by the cathedral in Wakefield as their own to help raise funds for restorations.
Cascade hops , as we know , give it a luberly fresh fruity twang .
Fresh off the plane via a friend who arrived today :)

Firestone Walker Grand Reserve Porter. Smoothest Porter I have had to date! I though Ballast Point had this shit on lockdown. I will try and hunt more of this down asap! :icon_drool2:

Trois monts last night. Really love this beer. Sweet malty aroma, almost perfume like aroma. Subtle esters and dry finish, especially considering the 8.5%. Followed up with a life radiuese. Another great beer. Reminds me I need some more dark candy syrup

Ballast Point Sculpin IPA fresh from the tap :icon_drool2: The local got it in on Fill Your Own and it was as glorious as ever! I had a beer off between this and Pliny in LA and I am now reminded how Ballast Point won hands down! Maybe one day I will have a better IPA but for now this is easily #1 :beer:

Why oh Why can't we get this over the ditch? What's wrong with you Dan Murphy.

Ballast Point Sculpin is boss as f*ck.

A pity that it doesn't package well into small pack. On tap it is sex.

Picture quality is going to be even worse than usual. Phone only, no say in lighting or glasware (or surroundings...).

IMG_20131116_213544.jpg

Samuel Adams - Tetravis

Oak aged Belgian Quad. Doesn't seem terribly traditional to me (not one of my preferred styles) but was enjoyable none the less. Cloves on the nose. Dark fruit in the mouth, finishes a little more bitter than I might expect. KInda of suffered a little from being second cab off the ranks after a Chimay blue (750ml bottle for under $10!).

IMG_20131117_160104.jpg

Ace - Pumpkin Hard Cider

Smells almost exactly like pumpkin (raw not roast). Tastes a little tart, mostly sweet none of the pumpkin form the aroma but I'mm assuming this is where the sweetness comes from because it is fairly dry. Sort of sits in about the same place as Lindeman's Peche (except not nearly as sweet) - really good example of girly lolly-water.

IMG_20131117_193713.jpg

Deschutes/Great Lakes Class of 88 Imperial Smoked Porter

Very smokey aroma but more towards campfire/ashy rather than cured meaty. Flavour is roasty smoke with a bitter finish. Perhaps a little bit of astringency hanging around in there too. Nice beer.

IMG_20131117_201553.jpg

Deschutes Jubelale

Not a patch in 2011's (the only other one I've had). This one has a light tropical hop aroma (which is a little weird in a dark beer, for mine), little bit of a sherberty thing going on. The tropical hop gives way in the flavour though. Tastes like a fairly bitter brown. Good but the previous batch I tried had me rushing out to find clone recipes so I could build one (I couldn't build one, incidentally).

IMG_20131117_210906.jpg

AleSmith - X Extra Pale Ale

I saw this and couldn't help expecting something along the lines of Bear Republic's XP - a big yet sessionable APA. Well, this beer sorta aims at the same end via a very different route. Very light bodied, low malt character, light bitterness (for style). Smells great though - classic APA citrus and pine. Looks like they they tried to build a lawnmower beer. Nice but not my bag.

bum said:
attachicon.gif
IMG_20131117_160104.jpg

Ace - Pumpkin Hard Cider

Smells almost exactly like pumpkin (raw not roast). Tastes a little tart, mostly sweet none of the pumpkin form the aroma but I'mm assuming this is where the sweetness comes from because it is fairly dry. Sort of sits in about the same place as Lindeman's Peche (except not nearly as sweet) - really good example of girly lolly-water.

Who thinks a thread will soon pop up in the Non beer brewing section along the lines of 'Pumkin cider'.

Just sayin.

Only if you can do it without actually learning anything.

bum said:
Picture quality is going to be even worse than usual. Phone only, no say in lighting or glasware (or surroundings...).

attachicon.gif
IMG_20131116_213544.jpg

Samuel Adams - Tetravis

Oak aged Belgian Quad. Doesn't seem terribly traditional to me (not one of my preferred styles) but was enjoyable none the less. Cloves on the nose. Dark fruit in the mouth, finishes a little more bitter than I might expect. KInda of suffered a little from being second cab off the ranks after a Chimay blue (750ml bottle for under $10!).

attachicon.gif
IMG_20131117_160104.jpg

Ace - Pumpkin Hard Cider

attachicon.gif
IMG_20131117_193713.jpg

Deschutes/Great Lakes Class of 88 Imperial Smoked Porter

Very smokey aroma but more towards campfire/ashy rather than cured meaty. Flavour is roasty smoke with a bitter finish. Perhaps a little bit of astringency hanging around in there too. Nice beer.

attachicon.gif
IMG_20131117_201553.jpg

Deschutes Jubelale

Not a patch in 2011's (the only other one I've had). This one has a light tropical hop aroma (which is a little weird in a dark beer, for mine), little bit of a sherberty thing going on. The tropical hop gives way in the flavour though. Tastes like a fairly bitter brown. Good but the previous batch I tried had me rushing out to find clone recipes so I could build one (I couldn't build one, incidentally).

attachicon.gif
IMG_20131117_210906.jpg

AleSmith - X Extra Pale Ale

I saw this and couldn't help expecting something along the lines of Bear Republic's XP - a big yet sessionable APA. Well, this beer sorta aims at the same end via a very different route. Very light bodied, low malt character, light bitterness (for style). Smells great though - classic APA citrus and pine. Looks like they they tried to build a lawnmower beer. Nice but not my bag.

:D :lol:

IMG_20131118_200557.jpg

New Belgium - Rampant Imperial IPA

Aroma is mild but lovely dankness, a little malt. Flavour is a bit more dank and some pine and a bit more malt (slightly sweet caramel) but this beer is all about that firm but controlled bitterness. All up in your business from the very start right through to a long, lovely fade. Exactly the sort of bitterness that I love in the style.

IMG_20131118_210908.jpg

Anchor Brewing - Big Leaf Maple Red Ale

Brewed with maple syrup, I'm lead to believe. I guess that stuff doesn't fully ferment out like I would imagine because this beer is super unbalanced towards sweetness. A little toasty malt reigns it in. Just. Brittle toffee flavour everywhere. Some bitterness comes in at the fade and doesn't gel with the rest of the beer despite being quite welcome.

IMG_20131118_215707.jpg

New Belgium - Fresh Hop IPA

The hops are certified salmon safe - and thank Christ for that, amirite? Won't someone think of the salmon? I'd be happy if I made it but they kinda pantsed themselves here by releasing this at the same time as Rampant. That is a significantly better beer. A bit resinous on the nose. Chewy malt with moderate bitterness to balance. Some citrus. A little unfocused maybe but still a nice beer.

[EDIT: torpor]

Where do you get your delicacies from bum? Postage or is there a local in melbourne?

Latest posts

Back