Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20131005_1707251.jpg
Yum

Spent a whole bunch more than I should have on USA beers lately. My local gets cheaper (trade) prices off Beercellar nz so I have picked up HeBrew Mana Pale ale which was brilliant last time I had it, Firestone Walker Wookey Jack, FW Reserve Porter, Sculpin cans, and the two Knee Deep Simtras & Lost Abbey Inferno I mentioned earlier. Just picking the right time to bust some of these out as I still have a nice haul from when the bub came along.
Grand Final day should give good reason to loosen the caps on a couple of cracking beers.

Old Bar Beach Festival on this weekend, biggest gathering of Kombi vans in the Southern Hemisphere, Roulettes aerobatics, fireworks, etc... and not one, but two German Sausage stalls.

And for a well earned thirst you need a big cold beer.
And the best cold beer as we all know:

vb and kransky.jpg

Plus a pretty good cheese and chilli Kransky with sauerkraut etc.

mgcan.jpg
These things are pretty good. The beer inside is pretty good, its the summery-est summer ale I've had in a while, but its soft drink like exterior means you can casually sneak a quick one in on a crowded lake without the others on water being aware of the horrible drunk you really are.

Grand final day and knocked back a can of BP Sculpin (Brilliant) and the 2013 edition of Epicurian Coffee and Fig Stout. Better than I remember it! Beauty! Cheers everyone (well not Manly supporters, no one likes them :p )

IMG_20131008_211334.jpg

I guess there's a good reason they put it in cans - who wants to be seen drinking something that looks like that?

I guess it's alright if you like inoffensive, boring shit or you like your odds of getting away with drinking them on the train home. I'm kinda gutted I had to buy 6 to try it though.

Kooinda Pale Ale.

Lacking in aroma, but a nicely balanced beer. Enough hop flavour and bitterness with a light sweetness underneath.

IMG_20131009_205740.jpg

Sail & Anchor - Devil Dodger

Wasn't expecting much from this but bought it anyway. Got it from Dan's so I don't even know how recent this beer is. Turns out to be one of the better examples of the US dank thing I've had from an Australian brewery. Not an amazing beer by any stretch of the imagination but they have got that one aspect down pretty well. Beer underneath that is far too sweet. More hot alc than I like in the style. I touch of something like (cooked?) onion on the nose. Abrasive on the mouth without coming across as terribly bitter (for style).

12546-1.jpg

On a short break to Port Macquarie and ducked into the local Dan's.

They are selling 24x 500ml Budvar cans for $48.

Not sure if it is all Dan's store but at that price I couldn't pass it up.

Drinking JS Four Wives Pilsner. No need for a photo as it is common as muck. Got to say it is pretty tasty and the lacing lasts the whole glass.

That's a really good deal for the Budvar! What's the expiration date ?

More importantly...do they taste good ?

Has anyone tried James Squire's Constable Copper Ale?
Had a few off tap the other night, smashable ale

Ballast Point Big IPA cans this time and they were bloody good. Also a cheeky Lagunitas Maximus. Went down nicely watching the Joseph Parker (NZ boxer) fight on live stream err Pay Per View :ph34r:

Just bought these. I'm starting my wild brewing adventure soon so thought I'd try some commercial stuff to compare.
Oh and the IPA's are awesome too. image.jpg

The 2009 is very nice. Not as good as Grand Cru but still tremendously good.

What is your wild brewing adventure? My understanding is that Australian wild yeasts are generally considered pretty awful for beer. I hope you're grabbing a commercial strain of a known variety (if we can still call that "wild").

Latest posts

Back