Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last nights drinks
All pretty tasty
Really enjoyed the HIX never seem it before
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

In a few hours I'll be trying this. I tried wyeast 3725 beire de garde yeast a few weeks back and loved it, and when I found this at the bottle shop I had to grab it. From the few sites I found about home brewing this beer i see quite a few recommend just using a clean yeast. I'm no expert but to me the beire de garde yeast adds something very subtle, but definately something. Anyway, I'm keen to try this.

image.jpg

Just cracked this one and it looked so good i thought i would take a pic and share it.

Very well crafted beer!

kinda like a big SNPA fermented with a belgian yeast.

mje1980 said:
In a few hours I'll be trying this. I tried wyeast 3725 beire de garde yeast a few weeks back and loved it, and when I found this at the bottle shop I had to grab it. From the few sites I found about home brewing this beer i see quite a few recommend just using a clean yeast. I'm no expert but to me the beire de garde yeast adds something very subtle, but definately something. Anyway, I'm keen to try this.
Just spotted this at my local bottle-o, I'm interested in hearing what it's like.

mje1980 said:

Super smooth, nice and dry, with only small hints of spiciness at the end, very very subtle. Almost, almost a faint wine like flavour/aroma at the end. Doesn't seem to have as much earthiness as trois monts, but like trois monts is a super smooth dry ale with the slightest of slight hints of Belgiany spiciness and ester. I really like this beer. It wasn't cheap though, much more expensive than trois monts, which I can get at first choice. Would be the only reason I'd choose trois monts over this though. I paid almost 30 bucks for this, compared to 12 or so for trois monts.

If you didn't know this was 8%ish you'd get pissed very quickly, as there is no alcohol warming, and it drinks like a 5%er.

Sound delicious! I'll have to pick one up, pretty sure the place down the road has them for less than $20.

Another Jenlan here:

Delicious belgian style brown. Filtered, super deep red colour, very smooth and at 7% but you wouldn't know it. Nothing particularly unique just a very well made beer.

image.jpg

The or was filtered too, no yeast. I quite like how both the trois monts and jenlain aren't as full on as other Belgians. It's one of the things I really like. I dunno why, just a really nice beer, but slightly belgian in character. Not to say I don't like other Belgians haha.

I shouldn't, but I've got one of my beire de gardes in the freezer chilling down so I can compare. It's only a few weeks old, so I really should leave it but it's pretty nice already.

The bottle shop only had the one I got, no brune. At least I know someone out there imports the stuff.

Actually, if you don't mind, does the little sticker in the bottle mention who imports it??. There nothing on my bottle

Now this is a nice beer. Malty without being sweet, solid bitterness. Plenty of hop flavour, a little piney, the mrs says it tastes like crayfish. A bit of wet hop aroma and and some yeastiness I can't describe very well. Yum. Not much like the current standard US IPA hop bomb. It's balanced.

image.jpg

Liam_snorkel said:
Now this is a nice beer. Malty without being sweet, solid bitterness. Plenty of hop flavour, a little piney, the mrs says it tastes like crayfish. A bit of wet hop aroma and and some yeastiness I can't describe very well. Yum. Not much like the current standard US IPA hop bomb. It's balanced.
It's a great beer. Love that it's so available these days.

This one is nice. A little subdued, very easy drinking but there's no mistaking that it's a RIS. Alcohol is well hidden even at just below room temp. Adjudicator in the background.

image.jpg

LCs IPA at Pig and Whistle, Olinda.

Very mild IPA. Also had a pint of JS Hop Thief, and if you asked me to pick the IPA in a blind taste, I'd probably pick the JS.

Both nice, very commercially 'safe', sessionable beers...nothing sensational here though.

Cracked open a bottle of saison dupont today. Man, this is a nice beer. It's bitterer than I imagined it'd be, especially at the end the yeast brings some bitterness with it. It's spicy, really spicy. I'd have to work out how to get a saison this spicy!

Have one more saison in a bottle to try. So far, no disappointments from the imports.

a beer bph87 bought back from his Europe trip for me a smoked porter with peat smoke. Im a sucker for raunchbiers and have ever had a peat smoked beer I must say its a completely different style of smoke character. very intense. but enjoyable IMAG0806 (1).jpg

Cheeky Monkey Hagenbeck, not amazing, but a thoroughly enjoyable drop.
Peachy, orangey, creamy mouthfeel, purfumey nose. Appreciably subtle on the Belg front.

Stopped at uncle dans, was pretty disappointed but then I found a gift pack from st fuiellien which was a blond brune and triple with a glass. Been wanting a Belgian glass for a while. Got the brune chilling in the fridge for this arvo.

lukiferj said:
It's a great beer. Love that it's so available these days.
Agreed, had one last nite.

Back