Whats a hop you could live with forever?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vini2ton said:
East Kent Goldings, the quiet achiever, getting the job done. Like an English rose, subtle and not crass or over-stated.
Sunshine_Brewer said:
Hallertau Mittelfrueh

If disease broke out and wiped the crop then Saaz all the way.
Be like saying...

Here is a beer, here is another, and another beer

Can you drink all 3 then tell me why you like beer

I'd need three or four goes at that trial before I could give a suitable explanation

Hmmm starting to get really thirsty now - lets throw this silly quota system away

the journey so far

Most used is Magnum (and still on my first 500g that is 2009 stock)
Favorite UK is Northdown
Favorite US is Apollo

If I had to pick one, Northdown.

Honorable mention to EKG, gone through them pretty quick this year.

Tough question, almost like 'if you could only listen to one song for the rest of your life..'

(That is an impossible question, even ten songs is still a tough ask)

My vote is Hallertauer Mittelfrüh, purely because it works in a lager, pils, tripel, alt, dunkel etc, all the Euros.

I haven't tried it but I imagine it could also work in a pale ale, stout and/or white IPA.

One song?

Helpless child by swans
or amber rain by coil
or emmanuelle by einsturzende neubauten.
or sick by chelsea wolfe....

I see what you mean.

I've already made the mistake of promising to live with one female until I die. Please don't make me do the same with my hop flowers.

I now live vicariously through my hop additions and can't bring myself to brew SMASH beers.

But, if I have to give an answer (hypothetically ofcourse), then the choice is easy: Lyndsey Pelas.

There is alot of good quality info here, I will be trying a few of the ones you guys brought up might buy bulk hops and want a single one for every job.

Just want to put it out there, but my fav hop combo is POR & SAAZ ( Cheque SAAZ......you know....the expensive ones )

Makes the ducks ricegulls of pale ales

Czech, not cheque. :rolleyes:

In Czech breweries, Saaz hops are the default, but many breweries are very particular about their Saaz hops. Some breweries have their own farms.

Check out this Czech publication that gives more detail, it's called The Atlas of Czech hop varieties.

peteru said:
Czech, not cheque. :rolleyes:
Its CHEQUE when you pay for them

I remember the days when true SAAZ was ******* expensive....and 4% AA........but oh so beautiful ....oh so beautiful... B)

Hah! When was the last time you saw a cheque in action?

I have a legacy bank account that is called a cheque account, but the bank sent out a letter a few years ago saying they were no longer issuing cheque books.

It's much easier to see a Czech in action. :D

Latest posts

Back