What Imparts A Raisin Flavour?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe a soak in hot boiling water, even a boil? Then a quick blend to release the flavours? Correct me if I'm wrong but grapes and raisins are wild yeast magnets so I will definitely have to boil them to kill any nasties?

Chappo - Just add to your boil mate, I'd be mincing them & adding 15 mins from end of boil.

Cheers Ross

Couldn't agree with your sentiments more PoMo. Make beer, not beer + x.

Says the man who decided to put pasta noodles in a beer? :blink:

Come on, we all like to experiment some what.. Sometimes with very good results, like my port beer, was very happy with it!

Says the man who decided to put pasta noodles in a beer? :blink:

Come on, we all like to experiment some what.. Sometimes with very good results, like my port beer, was very happy with it!

I think you'll find that that was religious observance. RAmen.

Indeed, religious activities do not need to be justified.

Ooooooright ooright ooright....

The moist "raisiny" beer I ever brewed was a dubbel. Malt bill was pilsner, munich, carafa special III, touch of amber, touch of dark cyrstal, touch of caraaroma, 20% white sugar and fermented with, iirc, 1762. As well as raisins, there were chocolate, prune and other dried fruit notes. I did not add any raisins, prunes or candy. My point above was about getting these beer flavours from beer ingredients and technique. Coffee in stout is one that really gets to me. Why not have a cup of coffee and then a stout. Why do both those things have to be in the same glass????

I am trying to nut out a recipe for a clone and I need a hint of raisins? It's basically a brown ale with an amber tinge. Any ideas?

Geez boys I was only asking for some ideas and or suggestions being a noob and all?

Thanks reviled but I wasn't bothered by the comments as ppl's opinions are just that, their opinions. :icon_cheers:

Geez boys I was only asking for some ideas and or suggestions being a noob and all?

kleenex.jpg

:lol: Sorry Chappo, couldn't help myself. You know we luvs ya!!

Maybe chop up some raisins, quick boil to sterilize them, the rack onto them in a secondary for a few days. That way you can taste a sample each day or so and when the hint of raisin seems right, thats when you keg.

:icon_cheers: SJ

Well duh! You've got press print first!!! Geez...... old people and computers :p

:icon_cheers: SJ

Coffee in stout is one that really gets to me. Why not have a cup of coffee and then a stout. Why do both those things have to be in the same glass????

Because they taste great & we can B)

Cheers Ross

But you taste neither the coffee nor the stout. Each to their own, but I reckon it's a wank.

Ok what I am trying to clone is a Brunehaut Organic Amber. I got my hands on a few from the Wine Emporium in Fortitude Valley and I really enjoyed it. They are new into Australia or maybe just Queensland, I dunno but it tickled my fancy.

Here's the website if anyone is interested. http://www.brunehaut.com/

Ross I will bring one into the shop on Saturday to see what you think?

Yep POMO also mentions special yeasts. Hence I am back to where I was 15 posts ago. It has to be a combination of specialty malts and yeast that drives the flavour.

Edit: I saw the raisins as a quick fix but on thinking about it they would dominate it too much IMO.

Ooooooright ooright ooright....

The moist "raisiny" beer I ever brewed was a dubbel. Malt bill was pilsner, munich, carafa special III, touch of amber, touch of dark cyrstal, touch of caraaroma, 20% white sugar and fermented with, iirc, 1762. As well as raisins, there were chocolate, prune and other dried fruit notes. I did not add any raisins, prunes or candy. My point above was about getting these beer flavours from beer ingredients and technique. Coffee in stout is one that really gets to me. Why not have a cup of coffee and then a stout. Why do both those things have to be in the same glass????

So if I want to brew a Rasberry Hefeweizen - what are my options? I guess I add fruit to the beer.

I think your being a bit precious PoMo - surely the final result is what is important - if it tastes the goods - so be it.

Sheeesh

RM

Surely a mix of dark crystals such as caraaroma/caramunich III/carafa, combined with one of the more ester producing belgian yeasts would get you close.

From the description on the website it sounds like it may be producing aromas/flavours associated with the english old ale..........

I get a toffee, dried fruit sort of taste/aroma from heavy handed use of Bairds Dark Crystal. Think Theakstons Old Peculier.

Back