What Imparts A Raisin Flavour?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if I want to brew a Rasberry Hefeweizen - what are my options? I guess I add fruit to the beer.

I think your being a bit precious PoMo - surely the final result is what is important - if it tastes the goods - so be it.

Sheeesh

RM

I've tasted a lot of beers doctored with things like raspberries, chocolate, coffee, fruit of all kinds and while "different", I've only actually enjoyed one or two, and they were commercial krieks, which are very out there, complex wild fermented freaks of beers. In my experience, brewing with strong flavoured fruity additions is a waste of time. Seldom do I drink a beer and think "hmmm, really could use some pineapple"...

I knew my words would raise a controversy...

Very open minded of you there PoMo, guess that's why they made you a moderator on AHB :lol: !

C&B
TDA

I can post my opinion, like any member. I did post "each to his own", which you quoted. If you like things like Youngs Choc stout, then good for you, all I could taste was chocolate essence ruining what could have been a good dry stout. I'd much prefer to drink a decent beer and nibble a piece of good dark chocolate.

Raisin flavours will come from specialty malts in the right proportion. You don't need to put raisins in the kettle or fermenter. Coffee flavours will come from roast barley in a stout, you don't need to add coffee. But as I said, each to his own. I would have to be pretty bored of "normal" beer before I wasted a precious brew day making something like that.

Plenty of ways of enjoying yourself without going into the chocolate tunnel. But, hey, all power to you.

Among Belgian dark ales and Old-style English beers, i'd also associate raisin characters to certain dessert and fortified wines, particularly muscat and port.
Aside from being wines at heart, which are made from grapes and raisins are grapes etc etc, alot of the raisin character you get from these wines is from other forces at play. Oak aging is one thing, and oxidisation not just from being barrel aged but in particular, bottle aged "Vintage" ports, that seem to exhibit a bit more raisin. In fact, raisin is a flavour often associated with oxidisation in beer...which isn't so much a good thing.

Anyway, what i'm trying to say is not so much add port or muscat to you beer (though it could work), rather consider the prospect of aging your beer on oak, or leave it to mature in the fermenter for an extended period to oxidise it just the little bit extra. However, make sure it is a particularly hearty brew to begin, plenty of residual sugars and crystal malts (as well as other dark malts) definately help with the aging process.

Good for you squeezing in another double entendre. Can we let Chappo have his thread back now?

Yep agreed, has been a bit derailed...
you might need to go and rack that ... oatmeal stout you have in primary.. :lol:

Sorry chappo,

KoNG

As I've been saying there is nothing in my brewing philosophy against mash and kettle adjuncts. You'll often see me sugaring up a brew, or mashing rice in a lager. Good traditional brewing practices.

*gah* I'm at it again. Letting it go... letting it go...

Sorry Chappo.

Ok Chappo Here is the secret , you want to impart a raisin flavour you really need Briess 'Special Roast' but you cant get that in Australia .

So here is what you do.

Take some crystal malted grain 100 EBC.

Soak in water for 24 hours .

drain and spread on baking paper and bake in oven at about 120C

You will get a lovely toasted raisiny flavour from the grain

Pumpy ( Ps dont tell anyone this secret ;) )

:lol: Thanks pumpy your secret is safe with me!
Well I tried steeping combinations of grains last night in a coffee plunger and to be honest nothing jumped out at me and said YES. I will give the roasting ago tonight, so I can maybe be putting something together for a brew friday night, time permitting.

How much % wise would you suggest into the grain bill pumpy?

Chappo there was only a small amount of the Special Roast in this recipe I done but it came out nice

Jamil Zainasheff Special bitter
Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)

Type: All Grain
Date: 9/01/2009
Batch Size: 40.00 L
Brewer: Pumpy
Boil Size: 47.96 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment 40
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.50 kg BB Ale Malt (6.0 EBC) Grain 88.32 %
0.40 kg JWM Dark Crystal (220.6 EBC) Grain 4.71 %
0.40 kg Weyermann Melanoidin (70.9 EBC) Grain 4.71 %
0.19 kg Special Roast (100.5 EBC) Grain 2.25 %
100.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.20 %] (60 min) Hops 25.6 IBU
28.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.20 %] (20 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
28.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.20 %] (1 min) Hops 0.3 IBU

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.83 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 30.3 IBU Calories: 90 cal/l
Est Color: 22.3 EBC Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body Total Grain Weight: 8.49 kg
Sparge Water: 21.16 L Grain Temperature: 22.2 C
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C TunTemperature: 22.2 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Light Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 22.13 L of water at 72.2 C 65.6 C
10 min Mash Out Add 14.17 L of water at 93.6 C 75.6 C

Thanks Pumpy for that.

Ok I have measured 200gr of Crystal into a tupperware container. But how much water and should be hot or cold?

Thanks Pumpy for that.

Ok I have measured 200gr of Crystal into a tupperware container. But how much water and should be hot or cold?

Chappo

Cold is Ok give it a good wetting and leave for 24 hours

Pumpy

Cheers Pumpy. Done and glad wrapped.

:icon_offtopic: I opened the vac pack and it just occured to me I will never get sick of the smell of malted grains :icon_drool2:

+1. Smells much better than opening a pack of raisins. :D

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Bwahahaha! :icon_cheers:

Just couldn't help yourself PoMo huh?

OK the grains are nicely spread out on a damp paper towel in a tupperware container in the fridge so tonight I can go a roasting. Might have to read through that thread somewhere here on the making your own crystals experiment SWJ? did.

Back