What Imparts A Raisin Flavour?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chappo1970

Piss off or Buy Me A Beer
Reaction score
I am trying to nut out a recipe for a clone and I need a hint of raisins? It's basically a brown ale with an amber tinge. Any ideas?

I am trying to nut out a recipe for a clone and I need a hint of raisins? It's basically a brown ale with an amber tinge. Any ideas?

Try using Windsor Yeast - every time I use it it throws raisins in spades.

So I dont use it anymore

RM

Combination of crystals will get you there, or so I've heard. Maybe mix up some Dark crystal with some medium.

Some cara-aroma in there will definitely help with that...

There's something called Special B which is used for raisin flavors in Belgian ales. There's something else readily available locally but I can't remember what it's called...

sap.

PS. Looks like Special B is roughly equivalent to Caraaroma - link

Some dark moist brown sugar, maybe 200g in the brew. Another grocery item that screams raisin is fake maple syrup but you would be a brave man........ ^_^

Raisins?..... :p

Hey someone had to say it...

I've found Muscavado sugar and cara malts like CaraAmber, CaraRed etc give a really nice background flavour of dried fruits and raisins

Some dark moist brown sugar, maybe 200g in the brew. Another grocery item that screams raisin is fake maple syrup but you would be a brave man........ ^_^

Go for the maple flavouring for the side benefit of pancakes. I ordered internationally through amazon.com in the states a box of the stuff for pancake purposes alone. Aussie costs on syrup is extortionist to the extreme. To make paxake syrup used 1/2 tsp of extract or so. You are talking 7 cents or less to make syrup costing upwards of $10 in the shops here localy. I even make my own self raising flour mix and pancake mix as that costs cents compared to the one use mixers in the supermarkets here. Buttermilk will react and make extra fluffy pancakes :) -- 7c + 12c of generic std sugar In a ratio comparisson means you save in the thousands of dollars which justifies ordering it with intl shipping. And of course spend your savings on more brew equipment and supplies + can try your raisin flavour. Win win :)

Hmmmm... lots to consider

Thanks Gentlemen for your kind responses. Very appreciated.

I guess I should have said it's there in the background and it's definitely raisin/dried fruit. To me my gut says it's in the malts and not the yeast simply because the flavour is in the background subtle if you get my drift.

Rodger the Windsor when you say "in spades" does that imply a dominating effect? I'm very keen to try a yeast outside of my little comfort zone but I don't need it to dominate in this one.

Schooey, bconnery (007) you might be closer there I already have carared in the recipe but maybe a peppering of cararoma as well.

I might steep say 50gr of each in the plunger and see if that unlocks ant hints?

The recipe so far looks like this:

4.50 kg Maris Otter
0.80 kg Carared
0.20 kg Biscuit Malt
0.10 kg Caraaroma
0.10 kg Roasted Barley

Any further inputs are appreciated.

Definately an english dark crystal. Bairds being my fav.
For me i don't think windsor gives it by itself, it's definately low attenuating and fruity.. So it will help get you some raisin with the dark crystal.

carared + caraaroma + carafa spec = :icon_drool2:

Great combo.
edit...add in to that mix Bramling Cross in the hops for those great blackcurrant notes, and you'll crap your pants and call it icecream. :p

carared + caraaroma + carafa spec = :icon_drool2:

Great combo.
edit...add in to that mix Bramling Cross in the hops for those great blackcurrant notes, and you'll crap your pants and call it icecream. :p

I was just whacking them together in BS in my maybe list.

How do think Bramling Cross would work with saaz MrB?

On topic, but still a classic :lol:

I was just whacking them together in BS in my maybe list.

How do think Bramling Cross would work with saaz MrB?

oooh, with saaz? No, I don't see that working well at all....
But I don't see saaz working too flash with that grain combo, either....in a clean crisp pils, yea....not in a nutty, roasty, caramal-y brown/amber ale....2c.

Hmmmm... I'm barking up the wrong tree again, huh?

I guess I just haven't tasted enough varieties of hops yet.

The learning curve is good but steep.

EDIT: Thanks for the honest input Butters

All those damn irish red ales and red ales I bought last week. I had a Belgium brown amber ale, forgot its name now notes are in the man cave somewhere, that stuck out clearly in front. I took notes while tasting because I have a shocking memory for names and what I did and didn't like about the beer.

I do this because I have bought abbott ale about ten times, every time I see it I go "oooh is that one I like?" only to discover that I got it wrong again.

EDIT: Piss typing again

Back