What happened to Wide Eyed And Legless?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krz

Reaction score
I was brewing regularly a few years ago, then Covid hit and I ended up moving houses, so havent been on this site since then.
Just resurrected the gear and started again, just wondering where WEAL has gone. No recent posts.
He may have ruffled a few feathers, but he certainly knew his stuff when it came to brewing. I miss him

That bloke annoyed me.
Always had to drag the whole keg king/land bullshit into every thread.

I was brewing regularly a few years ago, then Covid hit and I ended up moving houses, so havent been on this site since then.
Just resurrected the gear and started again, just wondering where WEAL has gone. No recent posts.
He may have ruffled a few feathers, but he certainly knew his stuff when it came to brewing. I miss him

I think if you look at the amount of posts appearing on AHB it is self explanatory, 6 posts in total in the last 24 hours. I was a supporting member on this forum I believe WEAL was too.

This forum is abysmal, poor administration and poor moderating, neither of which parties has any interest in the future of AHB, as long as they can delete posts, lock threads and bar members.
Has WEAL been barred, I don't know but with these moderators I wouldn't be surprised, the only time they put a post up is when ink bird has a give away.
There was the bulk buys he used to organise for grain and the spunding valves, not just on this forum but AUSSIE CRAFT BREWING at the same time with any excess money going to some children's charity.

I expect to hear, "well everyone is now on Facebook", those who think that should look at the sister forums in USA and UK different administrators and moderators they are flying, like this one used to do.
Sad times.

I think if you look at the amount of posts appearing on AHB it is self explanatory, 6 posts in total in the last 24 hours. .....

I expect to hear, "well everyone is now on Facebook", ......

Sad times.

Three comments from me....

• Can you really blame the moderation when there is only 6 posts in 24 hours? You can hardly moderate (good or bad) if there is nothing to moderate. The other forum is just the same - virtually no activity there either, and that's a completely different set of mods and admins. Is the demise of forums an Aussie thing?
  • I feel like the standard of knowledge on FB is so much lower than here....I find myself cringing at some of the advice that is given. Feels like anyone that has brewed a batch considers themselves "experienced" on FB. At least on here you can recognise the experienced posters (like MHB etc) pretty easily. I am yet to see much on any of the FB brewing groups that holds a candle to either forum
  • Agreed... Sad times indeed.

• Can you really blame the moderation when there is only 6 posts in 24 hours? You can hardly moderate (good or bad) if there is nothing to moderate. The other forum is just the same - virtually no activity there either, and that's a completely different set of mods and admins. Is the demise of forums an Aussie thing?
  • I feel like the standard of knowledge on FB is so much lower than here....I find myself cringing at some of the advice that is given. Feels like anyone that has brewed a batch considers themselves "experienced" on FB. At least on here you can recognise the experienced posters (like MHB etc) pretty easily. I am yet to see much on any of the FB brewing groups that holds a candle to either forum
You're missing the point, the forum was going fine until 2 years ago when heavy handed moderating came in. Grmblz is another one with a wealth of information hardly posts on here now, how many threads did he get locked down or deleted. Same as a lot of us who don't post on here regularly.

The whole idea of a forum is for discourse between members and attract members to partake. To use a WEAL phrase, "put bums on seats", now members are barely coming through the bloody door!
Just because a mod doesn't like what is being said doesn't give them the right to lock the thread or delete the posts.
How many Bulk Buys are there now? There aren't enough on board to make it worthwhile. Bulk Buys were another way of getting members involved and posting.

The other forum was always going to be a failure because there wasn't the characters on there to liven it up. That forum is capable of sending a glass eye to sleep, now this one is following suit. Check out Home Brew Forum UK and Homebrew Talk USA, the mods get involved in posting, they have more get up and go. They don't sit on their hands waiting for a post they don't like to pop up so they can delete it.

I refuse to post on FB, as the amount of muppets who don't listen or jump down on anyone who doesn't align with how they think is nuts. Its also impossible to find previous information so the amount of times the same question gets asked is frustrating.

Honestly some of the information I have gained from users off various sites has made me a better brewer, I like to think that I take on board what people say however and am willing to accept that I am wrong ;)

I am not on here that much these days because there is no new content, I now and then refresh myself on something I haven't done in awhile.

Even the pub is empty

I did another cream ale the other day and decided to not cook the polenta I used as I was being lazy, didn't post anything on here for others to learn as it seemed pointless (I was 14 points down!)

You're missing the point, the forum was going fine until 2 years ago

I think the issues go way back beyond 2 years ago when the "big forum split" of 2018 happened. Before then this place was loaded with characters and endless banter. People came on for the sense of community and fun as much as they did the knowledge. Most of the characters (ie Cock, Yob etc) of the forum were lost then.

As far as the loss of knowledge on this forum - you only have to look at the list of top posters and most of them are gone. MHB is about the only one left - the likes of Manticle, Batz, Bribie G etc all had a wealth of knowledge that was on a par with MHB's - back in those days you could get some really great technical discussions happening.

What I think the moderation in the past 2 years or so has done (including my 12 months or so in the moderation chair) was curtail the sponsor bickering. The unfortunate effect of that - and I will happily accept some blame for it - is the loss of one side of the fence on that. Not that I miss the shit fights but I regret that the forum doesnt hear anything about one companies products any more.

Last edited:
I refuse to post on FB, as the amount of muppets who don't listen or jump down on anyone who doesn't align with how they think is nuts. Its also impossible to find previous information so the amount of times the same question gets asked is frustrating.

Honestly some of the information I have gained from users off various sites has made me a better brewer, I like to think that I take on board what people say however and am willing to accept that I am wrong ;)

I am not on here that much these days because there is no new content, I now and then refresh myself on something I haven't done in awhile.

Even the pub is empty

I did another cream ale the other day and decided to not cook the polenta I used as I was being lazy, didn't post anything on here for others to learn as it seemed pointless (I was 14 points down!)
Can I see that cream ale recipe? Polenta?

Did not WEAL have health issues? Things can sometimes go south at a rate of knots. His political comments infuriated me but I loved his posts. People come and go, they always will. But seriously, if I read another post about misreading of refractometers, I'll spew up. I wonder what happened to WEAL?

I think the issues go way back beyond 2 years ago when the "big forum split" of 2018 happened. Before then this place was loaded with characters and endless banter. People came on for the sense of community and fun as much as they did the knowledge. Most of the characters (ie Cock, Yob etc) of the forum were lost then.

As far as the loss of knowledge on this forum - you only have to look at the list of top posters and most of them are gone. MHB is about the only one left - the likes of Manticle, Batz, Bribie G etc all had a wealth of knowledge that was on a par with MHB's - back in those days you could get some really great technical discussions happening.

What I think the moderation in the past 2 years or so has done (including my 12 months or so in the moderation chair) was curtail the sponsor bickering. The unfortunate effect of that - and I will happily accept some blame for it - is the loss of one side of the fence on that. Not that I miss the shit fights but I regret that the forum doesnt hear anything about one companies products any more.
I agree 2018 was a set back I was an innocent casualty and got barred with quite a few other members and had to rejoin again. To which I may add yourself and Warra AKA philrob played an active part in trying to close down this forum as Brad had offered an alternative forum which was going to be the forum to end all forums. And like sheep most of the members followed. But since then with members like WEAL and MHB along with a few others this forum got going again. By 2020 the posts on this forum was out stripping the posts on Australian Craft Brewer, which is another dead in the water Aussie forum.
So the demise of AHB and *** are down to one mans ego.
But the biggest blow to this forum was the appointment of 2 moderators, who aren't leaders, but part of Brads flock of sheep!

I would love to see this forum become a Phoenix, but the way it is being run at the moment I can't see it happening.
Before the harsh moderating came into play there were healthy discussions on here, now nothing. Most of the discussions are on Keg Land Questions and Answers, and if either of you moderators took the time to look at the posting history of some of those posting on that thread it sticks out like dogs balls some of the the posters are either100% or close to it for every post being on Keg Land. The tail is now wagging the dog.

One other thing 4 weeks ago was my last post, how come a thread from the crypt (5 years old) was answered by a forum member who hasn't been seen for 2 years and may even be dead. Was replied to in an American vernacular when the poster is a fair dinkum Aussie? (Weizguy)

Aw I miss you too.
That bloke annoyed me.
Always had to drag the whole keg king/land bullshit into every thread.
If you took the time to see who started the Keg King/Keg Land bullshit go back to its origin on the thread Keg Land.com.au whata you got thread. Easy to shoot crows on a fence when they can't reply back.
Did not WEAL have health issues? Things can sometimes go south at a rate of knots. His political comments infuriated me but I loved his posts. People come and go, they always will. But seriously, if I read another post about misreading of refractometers, I'll spew up. I wonder what happened to WEAL?
Still alive and kicking, as for politics, we can't all be on the winning side, wouldn't be a democracy otherwise.;)
As I said, nothing to do with moderating.
I've not deleted any posts, other than an offensive one in the jokes thread.
I remember you putting up an offensive joke a few years ago. The one about a dog having sex with a woman. The woman taking the dog to the vets to have its nails clipped. Probably still there in the jokes section. How offensive is that with a woman administrator?

I agree with you Reg. I would love to see this forum rise from the ashes. It can with the right leadership. The members are the important ones not the advertisers, get a healthy forum with members being able to discuss products without getting posts deleted.

OK, you have your views, some of which are incorrect.
Warra is banned on this site. Hasn't been seen for 5 years or so.
As a moderator, I don't have any authority to ban members, nor have I ever done so. 99% of what I do is to approve new members and their posts, and to kill obvious spam. I have nothing to do with Brad, and I'm not his lackey now, nor have I ever been. I've never tried to sabotage this forum or the other one. No point. Everyone is entitled to run a forum if they wish.
I'm over and out on this discussion.
I'm in the process of moving to Brisbane. Maybe we'll have a beer or two one day.
Cheers and beers.

Forever the rebel cant resist having a dig at authority. How is your daughter still raising money for cancer?
Still doing things like the morning teas etc.... But hasn't shaved her head again.

@Reg Holt .... I'm not a mod, haven't been for a while.

Gave it away when I started getting abusive messages from a forum member to my personal phone because they didn't like moderation.

It's just an internet forum....I don't care enough to put up with that sort of crap.

I'm just here for the beer now.

Latest posts

Back