What Are You Reading?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up Tara Moss's Fetish the other week since it was free on iBook and forgot all about it, started reading it the other night and it's actually not too bad!! Murder, models and some guy with a foot fetish (don't worry not a spoiler) :super:

Hell's Angels: The Strange and Terrible Saga of the Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs by Hunter S. Thompson

Very early Hunter S. Typical gonzo styled, but nascent. Only a few chapters in

Camo6 said:
Really enjoyed The Skinner and keen to read some more of his works. Found a bunch of novels I'd read ages ago and currently rereading First Blood by David Morrell. Makes the Hollywood Rambo look like a bit of a softcock.

Anyone else a fan of Steven Kings Darktower? These have too be my all time favourite novels. A blend of fantasy, sci-fi, supernatural and western.
The Dark Tower series is awesome, I love the way he actually wrote himself into the plot. An amazing imagination.

A really ordinary translation of Daodejing. Not sure why I am persisting with it, really.

Just read Jack London's White Fang. Great little book.

bum said:
Just read Jack London's White Fang. Great little book.
There's a blast from the past. Read that book when I was 12 or so. Totally agree. I put it up there with Watership Down.

The physics book : from the Big Bang to quantum resurrection, 250 milestones in the history of physics.

3 minute Stephen Hawking : an instant introduction to the world's second most famous theoretical physicist.

Amazing facts - Australia's southern skies.

bum said:
A really ordinary translation of Daodejing.
Which translation?

Once talking beyond surface scratching Taoism they are all pretty ordinary unfortunately haha. Thomas Cleary version is nice for some contrast, although speaking to a Taoist lineage holder he still poo-pooed Cleary as getting the underlying metaphysics all wrong as Cleary is personally Buddhist-oriented (according to this guy).

James Legge.

On one hand he keeps using the most literal translation for some words then uses parends to offer more contextually "correct" English words to clarify and on the other hand he changes (I assume he does, anyway) the poetry stuff so that it rhymes. In either case it is just really clumsy and horrible to read.

Plus 1 on the Dark Tower series. Recently finished my 3rd re-read of them. Pretty much anything by King gets the thumbs up from me though.

Surprised nobody's mentioned Stephen Donaldson yet (I think... ) , his Chronicles of Thomas Covenant ( now waiting for book 4 of the 3rd chronicles, supposed to be out end of this year ) would be the best " fantasy" style series ever IMO, and if you want sci- fi he's got that covered in the Gap series; high Tech, high drama and some freakin awesome battle sequences, can't wait for someone ( are you listening Chris Nolan? ) to make the movies. His writing style takes a little bit to get used to ( need a dictionary on standby ) but once you get on the wavelength it's bloody hard to put his books down.
" Reave The Just " is a collection of short stories of his which is a good place to start on his books.

Ps. No I'm not his publicist ha ha just a fan...

bum said:
bum, on 18 Jun 2013 - 7:42 PM, said:
so that it rhymes.
Eek!

edit - ah yea, ok, a 19th century missionary...not an authority to be trusted on anything Taoist heh heh.

manticle said:
Anyone here an Iain Banks or Iain M banks fan?
Consider Phlebas was the first one I read. I found it in one of those freebie book swap bins. I'd never heard of him but gave it a go.

I read it again a couple of years later because I was still thinking about it.

Les the Weizguy said:
Hell's Angels: The Strange and Terrible Saga of the Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs by Hunter S. Thompson

Very early Hunter S. Typical gonzo styled, but nascent. Only a few chapters in
Hunter got more than he bargained for out of that project.

hst06lwm1.jpg

simplefisherman said:
Plus 1 on the Dark Tower series. Recently finished my 3rd re-read of them. Pretty much anything by King gets the thumbs up from me though.

Surprised nobody's mentioned Stephen Donaldson yet (I think... ) , his Chronicles of Thomas Covenant ( now waiting for book 4 of the 3rd chronicles, supposed to be out end of this year ) would be the best " fantasy" style series ever IMO, and if you want sci- fi he's got that covered in the Gap series; high Tech, high drama and some freakin awesome battle sequences, can't wait for someone ( are you listening Chris Nolan? ) to make the movies. His writing style takes a little bit to get used to ( need a dictionary on standby ) but once you get on the wavelength it's bloody hard to put his books down.
" Reave The Just " is a collection of short stories of his which is a good place to start on his books.

Ps. No I'm not his publicist ha ha just a fan...
Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, brilliant series,

Gibson's Neuromancer (again), and some Rebus novel.

Just finished Keith Richards autobiography. Quite an interesting read indeed..

browndog said:
Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, brilliant series,
Bit heavy chewing at times to keep your head in it for me.

Clutch said:
Gibson's Neuromancer (again), and some Rebus novel.

Great book the Neuromancer, mines way tatted. If you like that you'll like The Celestial Steam Locomotive for sure.

Just starting brew like a monk. Very interesting. Side note on shantaram. I knew doc when he was writing the book. Saw a lot of the early drafts. He told me lots was fiction based on his experiences. Obviously you can't make money from crime so it was important not to be linked to real events. Amazing bloke. Taught me a lot. Didn't know he wrote another book.

Latest posts

Back