What Are You Reading?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reading "Yeast" again. Sheesh.. the more I read this book the more I find that I had missed previously. Apart from reading cover to cover it is a good reference book too.

Just got a heap of Star Wars novels last night...looking forward to them since SWMBO is reading Fifty Shades of Grey again :rolleyes:

tricache said:
Just got a heap of Star Wars novels last night...looking forward to them since SWMBO is reading Fifty Shades of Grey again :rolleyes:
Guess who's gettin' lucky tonight...

Amber Fluid said:
Reading "Yeast" again. Sheesh.. the more I read this book the more I find that I had missed previously. Apart from reading cover to cover it is a good reference book too.
I'm also reading Chris White and Jamil Zainasheff's 'Yeast. A practical guide to beer fermentation'.

A great brewing book, I'm very glad I have it for both reference and expanding my brewing .

Finished the last Bernard Cornwell saxon novel...another cracker (sure, they are all the same, but...meh...they are awesome).

Trying to read some China Mievelle at the moment but not getting very far...mostly cos my PhD readings are getting in the way. None of which are particularly interesting for anyone other than me.

Keen to read some more Kafka shortly after finally getting around to reading The Metamorphosis.

RexBanner said:
Didn't really care for Reynolds but loved The Skinner by Neal Asher. Actually I haven't read a bad Asher book so far.
Just started re reading Robert G Barretts works after his recent passing. One of the greatest Aussie authors in my opinion. Am also re reading Magician by Raymond E Feist. Just finished The Last Theorem by Arthur C Clarke & Frederick Pohl brilliant book & very sad Clarke is also no longer with us. Also have The World of Null A by A E Van Vogt to start next week
Also hated GRR Martins books so ******* dull that I stopped after 4 books & the tv series is the worst piece of shit I've seen in years imo. Did winter ever come?
I'm really enjoying The Skinner RB.

I found an old stash of early 50s sci fi on a free ebook server. Its all the old issues of pulp sci fi magazines like Amazing, Astonishing, What If and Analog. This is where the greats like Asimov and Clarke got started. All out of copyright.

There is some fantastic stuff on there. Some really amazing early speculative sci fi. There is also some of the worst, most appalling, sexist, racist, crap you have ever read. You pays your money, you takes your chances.

Cheers
Dave

anyone read any Michael Moorcock ? he wrote some pretty trippy stuff back in the 70s

browndog said:
I'm really enjoying The Skinner RB.
Thanks for jogging my memory Browndog. Just ordered from book depository.

RexBanner said:
Didn't really care for Reynolds but loved The Skinner by Neal Asher. Actually I haven't read a bad Asher book so far.
Just started re reading Robert G Barretts works after his recent passing. One of the greatest Aussie authors in my opinion. Am also re reading Magician by Raymond E Feist. Just finished The Last Theorem by Arthur C Clarke & Frederick Pohl brilliant book & very sad Clarke is also no longer with us. Also have The World of Null A by A E Van Vogt to start next week
Also hated GRR Martins books so ******* dull that I stopped after 4 books & the tv series is the worst piece of shit I've seen in years imo. Did winter ever come?
Really enjoyed The Skinner and keen to read some more of his works. Found a bunch of novels I'd read ages ago and currently rereading First Blood by David Morrell. Makes the Hollywood Rambo look like a bit of a softcock.

Anyone else a fan of Steven Kings Darktower? These have too be my all time favourite novels. A blend of fantasy, sci-fi, supernatural and western.

Slowly making my way through Foucault's pendulum.

Slowly because I don't read as much as I used to and because it's quite dense but Eco has joined the ranks of my favourite authors now.

Just started 2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson, just finished City of Dragons by Robin Hobb.
Will be re-reading Rama Revealed shortly.

Loving Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson at the moment, about half way through the mammoth 10 book story.

Makes GRRM's A Song of Ice and Fire look small in both scope and complexity.

Camo6 said:
Anyone else a fan of Steven Kings Darktower? These have too be my all time favourite novels. A blend of fantasy, sci-fi, supernatural and western.
I've read the first one, but I didn't like it as much as I though I would. Needed more cocaine fuelled fantasticality.

Is it worth reading on?

treefiddy said:
I've read the first one, but I didn't like it as much as I though I would. Needed more cocaine fuelled fantasticality.

Is it worth reading on?
I think it is but that's because I first read it in a time and age of cocaine fuelled fantacism. The Gunslinger is very different from the ensuing novels but it was written when King was young and the subsequent novels were released over the years and kind of became his magnum opus. If you didn't like the first book you may not enjoy the rest but they do evolve with his writing and if you're a fan of his other works a lot of them tie in with these.

I didn't not like it, it just wasn't quite what I was expecting. I know he was pretty young when he wrote it, I just wondered if his drug habits/and or maturity helped in the later books.
I really feel like I should give it another go though.

Definitely give it a go. And with all them eyes you'll finish it in no time. :)

Back