What are you brewing in 2017 ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, my research suggests if the shop has it, substitute midnight wheat instead of the roasted barley.

Maybe lighten up on the chocolate to 125g as well. And halve the roasted malt to 250g.

We'll see what they have.

Might be a muddy brown IPA in colour.

Planned tomorrow - Time to use up some of the home grown hops.

Pale Ale something, 69L @ 1.056 & eff knows how many IBU's

12.45kg Gladfields American Ale (76%)
1.64kg Gladfields Gladiator (10%)
1.64kg Munich I (10%)
0.66kg CaraMunich II (4%)

Mashed @ 68°C

No bittering hops here...
100g Cascade/Chinook @ 10min
200g Cascade/Chinnok @ 0min
600g Cascade/Chinook for a 20min hop stand once temp has dropped < 85°C

I might bump the last one to 700g just to make that even kilo... :ph34r:

Greenbelt (maybe Wy west coast ipa) to get it to attenuate well. No dry hopping... I want to see what these big kettle additions bring.

Matplat said:
That red ale looks delish, I did one with similar quantities of red back and shepards delight a few months ago, was awesome.

As it happens I have a hefe in the FV right now with WB-06, mashed at 66 fermented at 22, no banana but still coming up a treat.
I'm brewing the hefe now, after reading the article that Mardoo posted above I went with the following:

55C for about ten minutes while I mash in
63C for 40 minutes
72C for 30 minutes
76C mashout

Since I'll be fermenting it with the red ale I'll probably do it at 20C, maybe raise the temp after a couple of days.

Oatmeal Stout
Resurrecting the BIAB gear for a single 23ltr batch.
5kg of Golden promise
200g Victory Malta
200g Black malt
150g Caramunich 3
150g Roast Barley
450g Uncle Toby's oats toasted under the grill
65g of EKG @60
Probably use Wlp 002
Cheers

Curly79 said:
Can't edit? Tried FWH on this one for the first time.
I like FWH but not for any other reason than I can throw hops in and then get distracted with something else...

Oops, forgot the attachment.
1493027232972.jpg

Haha. I can relate to that pic Mofox. If only there was some useful thing you could do with all those spent hops ey. They still smell so good!

ANZAC Old Ale:

64% Maris
13% Vienna
11% Golden syrup
6% Oats
5% Heritage crystal
1% Pale chocolate

OG: 1.070; 35 IBU of Super Pride at FWH, 7 IBU of EKG at WP (no chill).

Will ferment with 002 and drop some rum soaked american oak dominos in the keg.

First brews in 9 or 10 months.

Simple APA 95% pale, 5% crystal, simcoe bittering and cascade flavour/aroma on notingham.

Simple bo pils 100% wey bo pilsner, simcoe bittering, motueka and Czech Saaz flavour and aroma on mangrove jack bo pilsner. The pils is sitting at 15 degrees.

Both 50-55 litre to the fermenters and have clarity ferm to reduce gluten for my coeliac friends.

I am yearning for a small scissor lift trolley as the 50-60kg lifts are killing me.

Two brews down today.

IPA

4.45kg BB Ale
1.24kg Munich
.4kg Caramunich I
.1kg Acidulated

Hopped with Citra, Mosaic and Huell Melon. US05. 43ibu. OG 1.059

American Amber Ale

4.25kg BB Ale
.64kg Caramunich I
.1kg Acidulated
.08kg Roasted Barley

Hopped with Northern Brewer, EKG and Nelson Sauvin. US05. 36ibu. OG 1.048

enoch said:
Both 50-55 litre to the fermenters and have clarity ferm to reduce gluten for my coeliac friends.
Do your coeliac friends find that clarity ferm is effective enough? I had thought that it was only good for lesser 'gluten intolerance'?

I have a friend trying to make gluten free beer, but sorghum tastes like shit apparently.

Wife and father in law both diagnosed coeliac plus a friend or two. Doesn't make any neg impact on the beer otherwise.
No issue but only moderate drinkers. Some may be more sensitive - some of the us brew boards are full of people saying it's not perfect but so long as people know what they are trying then they can make their choice.
Look at Omission ale and lager at Dan's which uses the same enzyme to reduce gluten. It's a nice beer if a little full bodied for me. Buy before you try brewing.
Sorghum tastes like shit - agree. Would work(ish) as an insanely high hopped ipa but they all try to do delicate lagers.

I wanted to brew a roggenbier and a dunkelweizen but decided to combine the two and make a Ryekelweizen:

32% Pilsner
32% Wheat
16% Munich
16% Rye
4% Caramunich 60L

+ 100g acid malt and 5g cal chloride.

OG 1.056, mash 66C/75C for 60/10mins; 18IBU of Hallertau (16 FWH, 2 WP).

WLP351.

Im going to do a 100% light munich brew tomorrow. Maybe a lager with hel mit.
Or maybe an apa/ipa with Simcoe and what ever else i can find.
Maybe 2 or 3% Caraamber in the lager?
Maybe 10% wheat in the ale?
Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back