What are you brewing in 2017 ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Title: VIOLATOR (Session IPA May '17)

Just noticed that the eff is set low, probably need to change that to 78 and adjust

Milling tonight for an auto-timer mash/start at 4am

*the 20minute hop additions are all at flame out but they're sitting at high temps for a solid 20minutes...it worked on the last brew...

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American Session IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 66 liters (ending kettle volume)
Boil Size: 81 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.032
Efficiency: 70% (ending kettle)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.040
Final Gravity: 1.007
ABV (standard): 4.35%
IBU (tinseth): 44.6
SRM (morey): 3.93

FERMENTABLES:
7 kg - German - Pilsner (57.4%)
3.52 kg - German - Wheat Malt (28.9%)
0.27 kg - German - CaraMunich I (2.2%)
0.4 kg - German - Acidulated Malt (3.3%)
0.5 kg - German - Caramel Pils (4.1%)
0.5 kg - Rolled Oats (4.1%)

HOPS:
10 g - Super Pride, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: First Wort, IBU: 6.44
50 g - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 11.72
25 g - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.8, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 8.04
25 g - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 8.86
50 g - cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 9.54

Dry-hop at 1010 with Citra and Simcoe 4g/l 20dC for 4 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 64 C, Time: 120 min, Amount: 40 L
Starting Mash Thickness: 3 L/kg

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Yeast cake

Fermentation Temp: 20 C

TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Profile Name: Light colored and hoppy
Ca2: 75
Mg2: 5
Na: 10
Cl: 50
SO4: 150
HCO3: 0
Water Notes:

well...I was going to just chuck them in...but I am intrigued, what would you suggest, given there's 4 hours prep time tonight before auto mash starting early am?

how long does it take to toast an oat Stu?

I've gotten excited all of a sudden :beerbang:

Toasting "an oat", one at a time will take a little while. [emoji185]
But you could probably tip 0.25-1kg into a (very clean) fry pan and lightly toast over 5-10mins with a bit of stirring. Or oven bake for a similar length of time.
Don't have the details with me at the mo' but you could probably guesstimate.
Using supermarket "instant oats" or serious brewing oats? (I've used the instant ones myself).

I'm still exploring the oat thing, but I've read by a few "experienced" brewers that toasting brings out more of the oaty flavour, whereas just chucking 1-5% in "raw" may not impart much flavour.

I'll be sampling my new fav in ~1 hour: an oaty Belgian Ale done with WLP-530 and 7.5% of lightly toasted oats. Took a month to mellow, but is tasting mighty fine.
Then I'll tuck into a Red NEIPA with 15% oats (not toasted).
Oats FTW!!

(Admittedly in an IPA you might be struggling to detect a distinct oatiness anyway).

well now, it's too late for this one, she's all in - minerals and all in, including breakfast oats (raw) with a vol increased from 500gms (66FV) to an all in the container: 842gms

feeling the pinch of a few pulpy session IPA's right now which btw, are available to anyone free to door who posted in that thread about the session IPA / hop feedback (before tonight) to contemplate on/with...

what's the all-time greatest yeast for such an occasion? or a notable mention? for next time yo yo mah

Tested on consensus at a case swap on a (previous case swap) Pliny the Elder clone.
Enhances bitterness but especially enhances the fruity hoppiness - compared to US-05, 1056 (& one other i can't remember, other Belgians/IPAs pinching at this end B) ).
Clearly the best option for straight American IPAs on that sample. Though the White Labs equivalent might also be worthwhile ;) .

As said, at ~5%, i don't think you'd get much either way from the oats other than the head and a slight slickness in mouthfeel.
Just supped on a 15% oats Red NEIPA and as well as that, i get a vanilla element backing up the malts. Works rather well after a few weeks to mellow :D .

^ I believe the white labs equivalent is 051 and is also a cracking yeast.

I'm waiting for my first proper all grain batch to carbonate in the bottle I made 2 quick batches last night.

Dark Belgian ale:
1x coopers Dark ale can
1x coopers Aussie pale ale can
1kg BE3
80g roasted barley
50g Santiam hops at flame out.
Made to 28L and pitched T-58 and S-33 Belgian yeasts.

Other batch was a pale ale of sorts:
Coopers English bitter
500g light dry malt
1kg BE3
35g Equinox and 15g Fuggle hops at flame out.
Made to 26L and pitched 3 packets of kit yeast.
Will probably dry hop this with a further 50g hops of something.
All fermenting at 18C

Low Carb Beer Experiment. Ultra Dry?

19lt instead of a 40lt brew in case it insults my senses like that Ultra Dry commercial stuff and I may ditch it with discust.
Then the possibilty that it may be a decent crisp refresing beer.

19lt brew
OG = 1.036
FG = 1.000
IBU = 24
EBC = 10
ABV = 4.7%
IBU/SG = 0.680 Bitterness Ratio
Calories = 319 kcal/l

Total grain bill = 3.21kg haha.. :lol:
70.1% Golden Promice
7.8% Dark Munick
7.8% Melanoiden
7.8% Cara-Pils/Dextrine
4.0% Wheat Malt
2.5% Acidulated

Infusion Protein rest 50c. Infusion Sacc rest 65c. Decoction 69c. Decoction 75c.
~ 90min boil.

Home Grown Hops
12g Victoria FWH = 14.8 IBU
15g Cascade 10min = 5.0 IBU
15g Cascade Steep/wirl 10min = 2.5 IBU
30g Victoria Hop Stand at ~70c for 20 minutes = 1.1 IBU
60g Cascade Hop stand at 70c 20min = 1.2 IBU

German Ale 1007 Wyeast recycled.
Dry Enzyme to get FG at 1.000
Ferment start at 14c to end at 19c. Pressure ferment naturally carbonated.

Just about to mash out another stout.

Stout weather. Same slapdash recipe as last week.

Irish Red Ale planned for tomorrow.

~4.5% ABV

90% Maris Otter
4.5% medium crystal
4.5% caraaroma
1% roast barley

Challenger at 60 and 20 minutes to about 25 IBU

WLP004 Irish Ale yeast.

manticle said:
Just about to mash out another stout.

Stout weather. Same slapdash recipe as last week.
That recipe sounds so good, gotta add that to the list

Danscraftbeer said:
Low Carb Beer Experiment. Ultra Dry?
19lt instead of a 40lt brew in case it insults my senses like that Ultra Dry commercial stuff and I may ditch it with discust.
Then the possibilty that it may be a decent crisp refresing beer.

19lt brew
OG = 1.036
FG = 1.000
IBU = 24
EBC = 10
ABV = 4.7%
IBU/SG = 0.680 Bitterness Ratio
Calories = 319 kcal/l

Total grain bill = 3.21kg haha.. :lol:
70.1% Golden Promice
7.8% Dark Munick
7.8% Melanoiden
7.8% Cara-Pils/Dextrine
4.0% Wheat Malt
2.5% Acidulated

Infusion Protein rest 50c. Infusion Sacc rest 65c. Decoction 69c. Decoction 75c.
~ 90min boil.

Home Grown Hops
12g Victoria FWH = 14.8 IBU
15g Cascade 10min = 5.0 IBU
15g Cascade Steep/wirl 10min = 2.5 IBU
30g Victoria Hop Stand at ~70c for 20 minutes = 1.1 IBU
60g Cascade Hop stand at 70c 20min = 1.2 IBU

German Ale 1007 Wyeast recycled.
Dry Enzyme to get FG at 1.000
Ferment start at 14c to end at 19c. Pressure ferment naturally carbonated.

Interested to see how this one works out , I would be husband of the year if I could come up with a low carb beer for the Mrs lol

Matplat said:
That recipe sounds so good, gotta add that to the list
Add leaky tap to the process list.
Lucky if I get 8L from adding my usual (set aside, decanted, reboiled kettle) extra wort to the cube.

Always check your brew 10 mins later.

Day off so I'm having a bit of a muck around brew.

Standard (for me 10L batch)

1.85kg Glad Pilsner Malt
0.4 kg home made feedbag Malt
+ a Handfull of roasted wheat crushed with mortar and pestle and thrown in.

Hops I'm not sure yet. I have in the freezer Cascade, Riwaka, Wakitu, EKG and Super alpha.... Might just go with some cascade...

End of a week of for birthday related celebrations so I'm having a crack at rare schizenfest beer. Recipe is simple start off planning a 100% munich malt lager then realise you don't have enough so make the rest of the grain bill up with pale malt, do some jobs for the wife and come back to find instead of mashing at 65C your grainfather has overshot and you've been mashing 70C for the last 30 minutes. Get to near boil and realised you left the pump filter off the bloody grainfather so transfer 85C wort to a spare fermenter so you can fit said pump filter then find a way to get the hot wort back into grainfather so you can continue on with the brew. Only thing I've got right so far is the hops and not burning myself with boiling wort but the day isn't over yet!

stuartf said:
End of a week of for birthday related celebrations so I'm having a crack at rare schizenfest beer. Recipe is simple start off planning a 100% munich malt lager then realise you don't have enough so make the rest of the grain bill up with pale malt, do some jobs for the wife and come back to find instead of mashing at 65C your grainfather has overshot and you've been mashing 70C for the last 30 minutes. Get to near boil and realised you left the pump filter off the bloody grainfather so transfer 85C wort to a spare fermenter so you can fit said pump filter then find a way to get the hot wort back into grainfather so you can continue on with the brew. Only thing I've got right so far is the hops and not burning myself with boiling wort but the day isn't over yet!
Mashed at 70C? Sounds like a job for brett!

Kingy said:
I bet it turns out a cracker, them brew days where everything goes wrong I usually write them off, then when it turns out good I haven't got many good notes to go off for next time.
That's what I'm hoping for, I had done a 50C rest so I'm hoping there was enough beta activity between that and the time it got to 70C. Fermenting as planned so ill see how it turns out. Can't be any worse than the 3 batches I made filled with yummy chlorophenol flavours.

Latest posts

Back