What are you brewing in 2017 ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that, I'm taking some notes here! I was thinking about how best to get some real passionfruit and pineapple flavours in there.. will probably use WL041 Pacific Ale for ferment.

I'm looking to do a light but fruity pale (something in the 4.5% region).. something similar to, or a clone of, the Kaiju! Crush.. anyone have any recipe suggestions? Also a fan of the Two Birds Passion Victim..
https://byo.com/stories/issue/item/3550-neipa-style-profile
Try this recipe. A really good version of a NEIPA, very fruity.
Screenshot_2017-12-08-12-04-03.png

Just adjust recipe to give you 4.5% with same hopping.

Thanks for that, I'm taking some notes here! I was thinking about how best to get some real passionfruit and pineapple flavours in there.. will probably use WL041 Pacific Ale for ferment.
Have you ever tried el dorado hops?
maybe use them in place of cascade (or as well?) for some real juice. i find them super super juicy - fair bit of pineapple/mango going on.

i've actually got one I'm kegging tonight, with a similar grain bill to the grapefruit one - but with Galaxy, El Dorado and Cascade hops. Tastes amazing from the fermenter!

Have you ever tried el dorado hops?
maybe use them in place of cascade (or as well?) for some real juice. i find them super super juicy - fair bit of pineapple/mango going on.

No I haven't and I was just thinking about trying some new hops, I've primarily stuck with Citra, Centennial, Cascade and Mosaic (and a handful of others) - would like to try something else, thanks for the suggestion!

I did a 'grapefruit' beer that was delicious, but not very grape-fruity.

I recently did a pale ale using primarily Amarillo late and dry. Got heaps of grapefruit from it, way too much from my liking.

I'm looking to do a light but fruity pale (something in the 4.5% region).. something similar to, or a clone of, the Kaiju! Crush.. anyone have any recipe suggestions? Also a fan of the Two Birds Passion Victim..

for a simple fruity crushable beer

80/20 Pils/wheat
mashed at 65c for a dry edge
fermented with chico strain like US05 or bry97
10m addition of citra, mosaic and galaxy or.....any of the fruit abundant hops you have
dry hopped with the same hops in the boil.

the key to the beer is hitting the pH at 5.2 for a crispness and also getting the sulphate ppm right, for that style id be targetting 120ppm to 50ppm on the chloride.

Brew day tomorrow, another American Pale to use up some more of my hops before I order some new varieties to try out. This one features Chinook, Citra and Simcoe.

25 litre batch size, based on 75% brewhouse efficiency.

Water and Treatment
36.00 l Brisbane Water (APA) Water 1 -
10.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -
3.50 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -
2.00 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 4 -

Grains
4.500 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5.6 EBC) Grain 5 83.3 %
0.500 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 6 9.3 %
0.300 kg Crystal Malt - Medium (Thomas Fawcett) (150.0 EBC) Grain 7 5.6 %
0.100 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (4.5 EBC) Grain 8 1.9 %
Mash at 67C for 70 mins, raise to 72C for 15 mins; 78C mash out.

Hops
8.00 g Hallertau Magnum {10.50 %} - Boil 60.0 min Hop 9 7.9 IBUs
10.00 g Citra {13.90 %} - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 2.6 IBUs
10.00 g Simcoe {12.60 %} - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 2.4 IBUs
*15.00 g Chinook {13.00 %} - Steep/Whirlpool 5.0 min Hop 12 1.8 IBUs
15.00 g Chinook {13.00 %} - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min Hop 13 5.5 IBUs
*15.00 g Citra {13.90 %} - Steep/Whirlpool 5.0 min Hop 14 1.9 IBUs
15.00 g Citra {13.90 %} - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min Hop 15 5.9 IBUs
15.00 g Simcoe {12.60 %} - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min Hop 16 5.4 IBUs
*15.00 g Simcoe {12.60 %} - Steep/Whirlpool 5.0 min Hop 17 1.8 IBUs
75 minute boil
Will dry hop with some combination of the three as well.

Yeast
Wyeast 1272 American Ale II 6th gen, fermented at 19.5C.

The Stats
Est Original Gravity: 1.0508 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.0123 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.1 %
Bitterness: 35.1 IBUs
Est Color: 15.7 EBC

*These are cube additions, my first time trying this technique. I've put them at 5 minutes because I figure by the time the wort goes in it will be under 90C and drop below 80 reasonably quickly so the IBU contribution will probably be pretty close to a 5 minute steep, as Beersmith bases the whirlpool utilisation on the time spent above 85C. I have found recently that some of my APAs have been a little too bitter when brewing to 39/40 IBUs so I've backed it off a little on this one to see how it turns out.

*These are cube additions, my first time trying this technique. I've put them at 5 minutes because I figure by the time the wort goes in it will be under 90C and drop below 80 reasonably quickly so the IBU contribution will probably be pretty close to a 5 minute steep.

I have found it can take a while for my cube to drop to 79 degrees so for my cube hops I don't usually transfer until the wort is about 82-84 degrees to avoid that extra bitterness.. :)

I thought about doing that too, but decided instead to reduce the bitterness contributions from the boil and flameout additions. I'll know in about 3-4 weeks how well it worked!

I have found it can take a while for my cube to drop to 79 degrees so for my cube hops I don't usually transfer until the wort is about 82-84 degrees to avoid that extra bitterness.. :)
FWIW, you might want to consider the sanitising function of the hot wort. It might be hot enough as is, but the main idea with transferring ~95°C wort to your cube & sealing it is to do with ensuring any bug that might've gotten in there is definitely getting killed. Letting the wort cool a bit will increase your risk of infection.
(might not be much of an increase, but i guess you'll be finding out ;)).
Someone with familiarity with it might be able to calculate an estimate of the HSU (Heat Sterilising Units) your process is achieving, and if that'll be enough to reliably sanitise the wort & cube (if you're interested, that is).

The wort is sanitised by the boil, the cube should be clean and sanitised before transfer (don't be relying solely on hot wort to take care of that). I rest wort for 20 mins, then whirlpool and rest for 20 mins before cube transfer. I have previously measured transfer temp at very close to 80. Nothing will be growing in my wort while it cools from 100 to 80 and I expect nothing to grow in my clean, sanitised cube either: at least no more than might grow in any clean sanitised wort recipient.

Thin plastic walls coated in 80 deg wort should stay well above standard pasteurisation temps and times.

FWIW, you might want to consider the sanitising function of the hot wort. It might be hot enough as is, but the main idea with transferring ~95°C wort to your cube & sealing it is to do with ensuring any bug that might've gotten in there is definitely getting killed. Letting the wort cool a bit will increase your risk of infection.
(might not be much of an increase, but i guess you'll be finding out ;)).
Someone with familiarity with it might be able to calculate an estimate of the HSU (Heat Sterilising Units) your process is achieving, and if that'll be enough to reliably sanitise the wort & cube (if you're interested, that is).
Thanks for the reply, I'm only 10 or so brews in with the cube but I'm yet to have an infection, I thoroughly clean and sanitize the cube after I pitch and then again before I transfer just above 80 degrees. I'm fairly confident that works okay, I say that and probably my next brew will get an infection! Hahaha! I don't leave wort in there long, 1-2 days at most before I pitch to fermenter.. :)

double brew day

Done a Gumballhead clone , think the recipe come from here ? , One I have wanted to do for awhile as really loving Amarillo atm..............and damn they have got one of the best decals going around. The most wheat I've done in a beer and left a decent old burn mark on the bottom of the grainfather , hopefully will all be good , didn't quite hit my numbers aswell, first time in ages.

Other brew for the day was my own little brew called Chinsimtra , second time brewing this sort of a session IPA , loved the flavour combo last time and smelt awesome today.

Pale Malt 80%
Rolled Oats 10%
Carahell 10%
Mash in 69 for 60 min
Mash Out 76 for 10
60 min boil

Chinook Citra FWH

Chinook Citra Simcoe Whirlpool 30 min @70
Dry hop the same

Hope it's half as good as last time

Misso getting into the brewing game. Small batch raspberry wine.

Super stoked... This is barely a week or so after getting a cheese cave (bar fridge and temp controller) which is now maturing four rounds of (soon to be) brie. And follows various sourkraut and fermented chilli batches.

#complementaryhobbies #brewingwin

View attachment 110172
And we're into secondary, in an old gallon beam bottle I've been hoarding for about 15 years as a shed ornament (well cleaned!). Extras went into a couple of PET bottles with loosened lids.

Wasn't much left of the hydro sample after, er, sampling, but it's a beautiful pink colour and already nice and dry at 1.002 (from 1.073), so almost at the 10% mark already. May well need some lactose for back sweetening.

IMG_20171208_004058.jpg
IMG_20171207_234939.jpg

Just a whole heap of blitzed raspberries and strained is it Mick? Any need for heat or does that affect flavour?

I'm pretty sure they were whole.... Something like a few kilos frozen raspberries, kilo of sugar and water. I don't think it was heated/boiled. If I'm wrong I'll update later.

The raspberries broke apart during the ferment. I think the fact they were frozen meant they would come apart fairly easily.

Edit: and yep, just strained the fruit through a seive into the bottle.

Haven't brewed for ages given the rennos going on at my place but I've set up a temporary spot for my pots and just mashed in:

40% Wey pils
40% Gladfield American ale
9% BM Vienna
8% BM Munich
3% BM Wheat

Shooting for 4x 15L cubes at 1.040, mashed at 65C with 15IBU of saaz at FWH.

1) +tettnang 1L of D2 Candi Syrup with 3739PC Flanders Golden ale
2) +citra & centennial - US05
3) +saaz WLP830
4) +saaz WY2565

Too many empty bottles so am trying a SMOTY ale but like so:

Coopers pale ale, dark ale, 150g dark crystal, 150g chocolate, 150g dextrose.

Steeped grains in small pot. Stained. Brought to boil. Off. Ounce of EKG in to infuse.

Pour everything in. Makes 23L. 1050 OG.

S04 yeast

Only got to 1016 but with the heavy bitterness this is very nice and only 4.6%. Very flavoursome. Will see how this compares with the tricked up English kit Porter which is very similar extra bits...

Making an American Wheat no chill this weekend to pitch onto a yeast cake of BRY97 - quick keg filler .

Ashby Ale 1

OG 1038
FG 1007
ABV 4.2%
IBU 19
EBC 6.5
Vol 20L
Eff 80%

50/50 blend of Pilsner and Wheat malt + 150g of acidulated malt to lower pH

Mashed at 66c for 60mins, target pH of 5.2 for a crisp finish - sulphate @ 125ppm, Chloride @ 50ppm

60min boil

@ 10m = Simcoe, Mosaic & Cascade = 19ibu

BRY 97 @ 17c for 3 days, ramp to 22c to reach FG - under ~ 8psi pressure

Dry Hopped with Galaxy & Amarillo ~ 1.5g per L for about 3-4days

Mashed in about 20 mins ago...

Kolsch

91% wey premium pils
9% wheat
Hersbrucker @ 60 for 25 ibu
WLP029

:overhead:

Latest posts