What are you brewing in 2017 ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Galaxy lager

83% Pilsner
10% Munich
5% Carapils
2% Acidulated

Step mashed 63C for 45 minutes, 70C for 30 minutes then mash out.

20g Hallertau at 90 min
30g Galaxy at 10 min
15g Hallertau at 10 min
30g Galaxy at 0 min

Fermented with W34/70 at 11C

Robusticus Porterus

O.G. 1068 (1.074) need to check efficiencies
F.G ...

IBU 44
ABV 7.3%

Pale/base malt mix 90%
Choc 3.8
pale CVhoc 0.9
Caraaroma 1.9
Lt. Crystal 2.8
Special-B 0.6

Magnum 60
Cascade 30
Cascade 15

Wyeast 1098

IMG_1013.JPG IMG_1009.JPG IMG_1012.JPG

Too many empty bottles so am trying a SMOTY ale but like so:

Coopers pale ale, dark ale, 150g dark crystal, 150g chocolate, 150g dextrose.

Steeped grains in small pot. Stained. Brought to boil. Off. Ounce of EKG in to infuse.

Pour everything in. Makes 23L. 1050 OG.

S04 yeast

Brewed again this weekend, this overnight mash not only increases my efficiency by 8% but Ive got it cubed and cleaned up in under 3hrs.

Today i kept 1.2lts for a yeast starter with a whitelabs Pacific Ale yeast that was out of date AUG-16, on the stir plate right now.

# 159 - American Pale Ale - Citra/Amarillo

OG 1050
FG 1012
ABV 5%
IBU 32
EBC 10.5
Vol 22.5lt
Eff 83.5%

Overnight Mash - 20/120, 52/30, 67/60, 72/30, 76/180
Sulphate @ 200ppm, Chloride @ 60ppm

42% Maris Otter
42% Pilsner
10% Vienna
4% Light Crystal (70ebc)
2% Wheat

60Min Boil

Citra @ 5m = 16ibu
Amarillo @ 5m = 16ibu

Fermented with the Pacific Ale yeast if it kicks off, back up yeast will be BRY97 West Coast.

:bigcheers:

Dan, is your brewery a single pot recirc type ? Has anyone tried similar with a 3V RIMS ? What's the maximum timeframe for the initial soak ?

Dan, is your brewery a single pot recirc type ? Has anyone tried similar with a 3V RIMS ? What's the maximum timeframe for the initial soak ?
hi,

brewing on a 20lt braumeister. I think thee may be a few that use a 3V system and overnight mash, just need control panel with step mash options.

I used to only do a 20min hydration rest and extended that to 120min and that gets better efficiency. The BM has a max 180mins per step.

Thanks Dan, no problems with doing that with my system. My only concern ( maybe not justified) would be getting a good recirc going at that low temp. I'll have a look around for some info.

Just kegged my first lager. Pilsner with a new world edge (was out of Perle so subbed Mosaic and cascade). No finings, no filter, just 4 days @4C and 6 days @ -1C.
Drinking now but putting some away to lager properly.

44L, 80% eff, OG 1050 FG 1010 ABV 5.2% IBU 33.5

8.5kg Pils
100g Acidulated Malt
100g Melanoidin

20g Warrior FWH
50g Motueka 10 min
30g cascade flowers Whirlpool

S189 yeast cake.

Pressure ferm @12C with 18C d-rest.

20171112_171226_resized.jpg

Today i kept 1.2lts for a yeast starter with a whitelabs Pacific Ale yeast that was out of date AUG-16, on the stir plate right now.
I did a starter with the same yeast, it was much older and I had to do a couple steps but it all came back to life and wow, it made a delightfully fruity XPA!

I brewed a Black IIPA on the weekend, sadly I didn't hit my numbers;

===================
Black IIPA (BIAB)
OG 1083
FG 1018
ABV 8.9%
IBU 103
EBC 114
VOL 24L

Grain Bill
65.5% American Ale
9.7% Aurora
9.1% White Sugar
4.8% Dark Crystal
4.8% Midnight Wheat
3.6% Carafa 3
2.4% Acidulated

Hop Schedule
40g Citra @ 60 mins
25g Chinook @ 25 mins
25g Cascade @ 25 mins
15g Centennial @ 10 mins
(Yeast Nutrient @ 10 mins - forgot!)
(Whirlfloc @ 10 mins - forgot!)
30g Chinook @ 5 mins
100g Citra @ Aroma Steep
25g Chinook @ Aroma Steep
25g Cascade @ Aroma Steep
(Haven't worked out the dry hop yet)

Mashed @ 64 degrees for 60 mins
Mash out @ 75 degrees for 10 mins (I have questions about this below)
Boil for 75 Mins
Cooled to 80 degrees and did a aroma steep for further 30 mins
Dumped to cube

WL051 California Ale V (harvested)
===================

The recipe calls for about 750g of sugar which I was going to syrup and add to the fermenter at high kraussen, so without that addition I was meant to hit 1.071 but only managed 1.060. I think there were two contributors to this; my LHBS don't do a very good mill of the grain (my own mill coming this week) and secondly, I think I sparged/rinsed with too much water (about 3L too much), subsequently I didn't boil down far enough either. I had forgotten that I was targeting 24L instead of my usual 26L and as I was brewing with a crowd (and a few beers under my belt) some things slipped my mind. Note to self; don't brew bigger beers with a crowd.

Anyway, I don't think it will matter too much, in terms of ABV it might just make it a IPA on the higher end of the scale. I'm wondering, with a late sugar addition how do I recalculate the ABV?

Also, as I BIAB, I typically just raise the bag, set the urn to boil, drain/squeeze followed by a light rinse of 75 degree water and final squeeze. Everytime I've done this I haven't had a problem but a mate of mine was getting in my ear about mashing out, dumping the bag back in for 10 minutes at 75 degrees. I don't know, this sorta stuffed my usual process and I think this is where I started making some mistakes - curious though, what do other BIAB'ers do in regards to mash out?

Finished brewing at about 2 am, spent the whole next day cleaning with a slight hangover. Urgh, still suffering.

I did a starter with the same yeast, it was much older and I had to do a couple steps but it all came back to life and wow, it made a delightfully fruity XPA!

I brewed a Black IIPA on the weekend, sadly I didn't hit my numbers;

===================
Black IIPA (BIAB)
OG 1083
FG 1018
ABV 8.9%
IBU 103
EBC 114
VOL 24L

Grain Bill
65.5% American Ale
9.7% Aurora
9.1% White Sugar
4.8% Dark Crystal
4.8% Midnight Wheat
3.6% Carafa 3
2.4% Acidulated

Hop Schedule
40g Citra @ 60 mins
25g Chinook @ 25 mins
25g Cascade @ 25 mins
15g Centennial @ 10 mins
(Yeast Nutrient @ 10 mins - forgot!)
(Whirlfloc @ 10 mins - forgot!)
30g Chinook @ 5 mins
100g Citra @ Aroma Steep
25g Chinook @ Aroma Steep
25g Cascade @ Aroma Steep
(Haven't worked out the dry hop yet)

Mashed @ 64 degrees for 60 mins
Mash out @ 75 degrees for 10 mins (I have questions about this below)
Boil for 75 Mins
Cooled to 80 degrees and did a aroma steep for further 30 mins
Dumped to cube

WL051 California Ale V (harvested)
===================

The recipe calls for about 750g of sugar which I was going to syrup and add to the fermenter at high kraussen, so without that addition I was meant to hit 1.071 but only managed 1.060. I think there were two contributors to this; my LHBS don't do a very good mill of the grain (my own mill coming this week) and secondly, I think I sparged/rinsed with too much water (about 3L too much), subsequently I didn't boil down far enough either. I had forgotten that I was targeting 24L instead of my usual 26L and as I was brewing with a crowd (and a few beers under my belt) some things slipped my mind. Note to self; don't brew bigger beers with a crowd.

Anyway, I don't think it will matter too much, in terms of ABV it might just make it a IPA on the higher end of the scale. I'm wondering, with a late sugar addition how do I recalculate the ABV?

Also, as I BIAB, I typically just raise the bag, set the urn to boil, drain/squeeze followed by a light rinse of 75 degree water and final squeeze. Everytime I've done this I haven't had a problem but a mate of mine was getting in my ear about mashing out, dumping the bag back in for 10 minutes at 75 degrees. I don't know, this sorta stuffed my usual process and I think this is where I started making some mistakes - curious though, what do other BIAB'ers do in regards to mash out?

Finished brewing at about 2 am, spent the whole next day cleaning with a slight hangover. Urgh, still suffering.

Sugar calculator here (use chaptalization and dilution calculator - it is created for winemaking) will help you calculate it: http://web2.airmail.net/sgross/fermcalc/index.html

Re: biab mash out. Depends on how you are adding heat to your mash tun (or if you can for that matter). If you can directly heat your mash tun then I think most BIABers will just add heat and stir the whole time until mash out temp is hit (generally 78) and then pull the bag. Alternatively, like any version of mashing you can add hot water to bring it up to mash out temp, but obviously need to account for this in your recipe calculation.

Adam.

Thanks @themonkeysback I'm using a 40l Crown urn so I normally just lift the bag at the end of the mash in the 64-67 degree range - sounds like I should be leaving it in there until it hits 78 degrees for 10 mins before I lift it..

So my BIIPA is fermenting along nicely as of this morning with some WL051 I harvested from a previous brew and pitched 36 hours ago.

As previously mentioned my efficiency was lower than expected with this brew, I pulled up 11 points lower than expected (1.060 instead 1.071) and the next stage was to add 750g of white sugar (dissolved) at high kraussen to get this guy well into IIPA territory. With the lower OG I'm now thinking about adding an additional 250g white sugar (1kg total) and 750g dark dry malt in addition to the sugar to get the ABV back up to where it was meant to be - good idea or bad idea do you think? Sugar alone will result in a 7.3% beer, whereas the extra dark malt would bring it to 8.5% (closer to what it was meant to be at about 8.9%).. I was also wondering if it's better to add dextrose over table sugar (which I'll be dissolving in about 1.5L of boiling water)?

^ ^ I would be just adding the sugar and aiming for the 7.3%

it was mashed at 64c which will give quite a low FG and will be relatively balanced with all those steeping hops.

oh yeah and dextrose, don't use table sugar.

Thanks @themonkeysback I'm using a 40l Crown urn so I normally just lift the bag at the end of the mash in the 64-67 degree range - sounds like I should be leaving it in there until it hits 78 degrees for 10 mins before I lift it..
Make sure you use a false bottom or at least lift the bag off the bottom of the urn before turning the heat on, otherwise you may burn a hole in the bag.

Regarding the lower efficiency, that's pretty normal with big beers like that. I always drop my efficiency between 5 and 10% when constructing recipes around big grain bills for that reason.

And if you're cubing, get it in the cube before it drops below 80C, otherwise you're just risking infections unless you pitch it the day after or something.

oh yeah and dextrose, don't use table sugar.

I think you can probably get a way with sucrose in a big beer like that. Doing K&K brews, not so much as they have pretty little flavour and stuff all malt to begin with.

Depending on the IBU, i would be concerned about adding anything other than malt though. If you are pushing 100IBU+ like a lot of IIPAs then you want it to be reasonably malty to balance out the bitterness as well as the booziness. I would be adjusting with a combination of light and dark malts personally, only adding sugar if the projected FG is too high.

Thanks fellas, I have some dex, light and dark dry malt so I might lean on the malts with a bit of dex and try and balance it out a bit.. thanks for all the input, will see how this one ends up and report back in about a month! Cheers!

Another two brews down on the weekend.

NZ IPA at the top with Vienna and Wheat malts, hopped with Pacific Jade, Motueka and Nelson Sauvin, fermenting with WLP644 Sacc Trois.
Below is a 'Super' Kolsch, with Pilsner and Munich malts, bittered with Perle and a late addition of Saaz, fermenting with K-97 German Ale Yeast

IMG_20171113_081205.jpg

Krausen of the Kolsch after 24 hours

IMG_20171113_195649.jpg

After about 36 hours, looks like shes peaked, but I have heard it sticks around for a long time with this strain.

IMG_20171114_090953.jpg

Another two brews down on the weekend.

NZ IPA at the top with Vienna and Wheat malts, hopped with Pacific Jade, Motueka and Nelson Sauvin, fermenting with WLP644 Sacc Trois.
Below is a 'Super' Kolsch, with Pilsner and Munich malts, bittered with Perle and a late addition of Saaz, fermenting with K-97 German Ale Yeast

Both those brews sound really good, I wouldn't mind doing a regular pale version of your NZ IPA (I have three IPA's on the go at the moment and probably need to do something more sessionable). The Super Kolsch sounds interesting too - I'm not much of a Kolsch drinker myself but still I would love to hear what you think of it when it's ready!

Latest posts

Back