What are you brewing in 2017 ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What was your recipe for that one? I like the colour, I've used Golden Promise but other malts have changed the colour significantly compared to this...

This one was a simple recipe - 100% golden promise and Motueka hops.

Usually when I try a new malt I do a simple SMASH so I get a feel for it without being confused by other ingredients.

The colour in my photo was shining a torch into the fermenter, will be interesting to see if the colour follows through into the final beer. Hope it does.

Made another Irish red last night

4kg BB ale
150g BB med xtal
150g GF dark xtal
100g JW roast barley
Styrian Goldings @ 60 for 33 ibu
WY1084 will ferment at 19, starter currently crashing.

Was aiming for 1.044 but ended up with 1.049.

After exploring a 4 malt grain bill for my session ales with the Base Jumper series, I'm moving to a ternary blend to see how that fares. I will also increase the abv up from low 4% to mid 4s keeping the ibu around 18.

# 153 - Triple Threat Ale 1

OG - 1044
FG - 1008
ABV - 4.6%
IBU - 18
EBC - 7.4
Vol - 20lt

32% Pilsner
32% Vienna
32% Wheat
Acidulated for lower pH approx 150g (4%)

mashed at 66c for 45mins, target pH will be 5.4, sulphate @ 100ppm, chloride @ 50ppm ( usually target 200ppm sulphate, backing it off a bit)

60mins boil

Amarillo @ 10m
Amarillo and Galaxy Whirlpool for 20mins

Chill to 18c and ferment with Danstar BRY97 West Coast ale

Dry hop with be same combo Amarillo & Galaxy = 2g per L for 3 days.

Did a collab brew with @murpho on the new rig yesterday - an Imperial India Red Ale to give it a good working over. Scaled up and tweaked a previous Amber Ale recipe that we'd done, but don't know whether this is going to be hop-overload or how well the malts will scale. Will see in a coupla weeks. Have dropped little a bit in the conversion efficiency compared to the old rig so will look at tweaking that back up over the next few brews. My boiloff was a little lower than planned so didn't quite meet the 1.093/20lt target. Bumped it up to a 2-hour boil so I could run a thinner mash but that extra mash water probably wasn't necessary in the end.

Mountain Rang

OG - 1089
FG - 1017
ABV - 9.3%
IBU - 100-ish
EBC - 27
Vol FV - 22lt

Wey Bo Pils - 83.2%
Wey Munich Dark - 8.5%
Gladfield Crystal Medium - kg 2.8%
Gladfield Crystal Dark - 2.8%
Wey Melanoidin - 2.8%

Boil 120 mins

Columbus @ 120 mins
Columbus and Centennial @ 0 mins
Columbus and Centennial @ 80 deg whirlpool 30 mins
Centennial dry hop

US-05

IMG_20170912_061223.jpg

Last edited:
That has to be the cleanest krausen I've ever seen!

Got an email to say my grain will arrive today, watching my sister's in a netty grandfinal and cutting up a couple of pigs on the farm with the old man on Saturday
So Sunday is looking the day for my first wheat beer [emoji106]

double brew day tomorrow

hobgoblin clone &

a mega swill for the AFL granny for my mates incase my current stash runs out calling it

Amarillo Armadillo
wey pilsner (100%)
amarillo whirlpool for 30 min at 70 degrees
dry hop with amarillo aswell.

had great success with the same simple recipe with galaxy so thought I would give amarillo a run this time

What's your hobgoblin clone recipe mate? How close do you rate it?

For no other reason than I've got a heap of grapefruit on my tree, I wanted to make a grapefruit IPA.
Going to have a few strong beers on tap, so aiming for more of a session.

Anyone got any thoughts on this recipe?

23l batch
4.3kg (79%) MO
0.54 (10%) Munich I
0.27 (5%) Wheat
0.21 (4%) Caramunich I
0.11 (2%) Acidulated

15g Magnum @ 60
30g each of Cascade, Simcoe and Citra in the cube

Dry hop with 30g each of Citra & Simcoe
3-4 grapefruit skins in vodka overnight and then into the fermenter for a couple of days before kegging

Very keen to just give it a shot, but never done anything with grapefruit (or any fruit) before so not sure what it'll do

Send a PM to AJ80, his swap beer was a grapefruit beer. Having never brewed with it myself, I do recall AJ saying he got more acidity and/or bitterness from the grapefruit than expected.

EDIT: Like your grain bill by the way!

I myself would go for a lighter-flavoured base malt. That's what I almost always do when I have a subtle flavour I want to bring out.

I myself would go for a lighter-flavoured base malt. That's what I almost always do when I have a subtle flavour I want to bring out.
What sort would you choose instead?

The pith (the white part of the skin) imparts a great deal of bitterness, hence in cooking they only use the zest.
I was thinking that - was planning on not including the pith

Send a PM to AJ80, his swap beer was a grapefruit beer. Having never brewed with it myself, I do recall AJ saying he got more acidity and/or bitterness from the grapefruit than expected.
Yes of course, good idea!

Did a collab brew with @murpho on the new rig yesterday - an Imperial India Red Ale to give it a good working over. Scaled up and tweaked a previous Amber Ale recipe that we'd done, but don't know whether this is going to be hop-overload or how well the malts will scale. Will see in a coupla weeks. Have dropped little a bit in the conversion efficiency compared to the old rig so will look at tweaking that back up over the next few brews. My boiloff was a little lower than planned so didn't quite meet the 1.093/20lt target. Bumped it up to a 2-hour boil so I could run a thinner mash but that extra mash water probably wasn't necessary in the end.

Mountain Rang

OG - 1089
FG - 1018
ABV - 9.3%
IBU - 100-ish
EBC - 27
Vol FV - 22lt

Wey Bo Pils - 83.2%
Wey Munich Dark - 8.5%
Gladfield Crystal Medium - kg 2.8%
Gladfield Crystal Dark - 2.8%
Wey Melanoidin - 2.8%

Boil 120 mins

Columbus @ 120 mins
Columbus and Centennial @ 0 mins
Columbus and Centennial @ 80 deg whirlpool 30 mins
Centennial dry hop

US-05

View attachment 108281

So turns out I'm a little short on Columbus for my planned dry hopping quantity, does anyone have any thoughts regarding a Centennial/Simcoe dry hop combo instead, to go with the Centennial/Columbus that went into the kettle and whirlpool?

I do have most of the other big-name US hops in freezer as well, but since I'm aiming for a orange/citrus/pine profile I thought the Simcoe might be the go. The beer is kinda loosely inspired by the Kaiju Betelgeuse Imperial Amber Ale.

Going to be dailling in my new Brau tomorrow. Bit of an experiment.

After trying the Cascade resin, and getting dinged in competition for a 2g cube addition that "overpowered the wheat" in an American Wheat, I will probably make something quite strong on hop flavour.

Title: Kitchen Sink Ale

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American Pale Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 22 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 26 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.039
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)
No Chill: 20 minute extended hop boil time

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.046
Final Gravity: 1.011
ABV (standard): 4.65%
IBU (tinseth): 46.27
SRM (morey): 4.19

FERMENTABLES:
3.2 kg - German - Pale Ale (76.2%)
500 g - German - Vienna (11.9%)
300 g - German - Munich Light (7.1%)
200 g - German - Rye (4.8%)

HOPS:
1 g - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 61.4, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 8.25
6 g - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 61.4, Use: Whirlpool for 5 min at 99 °C, IBU: 16.75
30 g - centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.9, Use: Whirlpool for 5 min at 99 °C, IBU: 12.14
5 g - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 40.2, Use: Whirlpool for 5 min at 99 °C, IBU: 9.14

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 50 C, Time: 10 min
2) Infusion, Temp: 66 C, Time: 60 min
3) Infusion, Temp: 76 C, Time: 15 min
Starting Mash Thickness: 6.42 L/kg

YEAST:
Wyeast - German Ale 1007
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 75%
Flocculation: Low
Optimum Temp: 12.78 - 20 C
Fermentation Temp: 14 C
Pitch Rate: 0.75 (M cells / ml / deg P)
Additional Yeast: 2L Starter

@DJ_L3ThAL
It's orfy's recipe from the net should be pretty easy to find ( I got it from brewmans brewbuilder) .
I haven't tried the original but have heard good things so thought I would have a crack .
I'm brewing atm but I can post the recipe if you like tomorrow if you can't find it

I'm super organised today so while everthings going wee for the brew day I'll quickly post it ............brewing at as we speak

Hobgoblin
IBU 23
ABV5.5%

Maris otter floor malted 91%
medium crystal 4%
cara pils 2.9%
chocolate malt 2.1%

fuggles 60 min 7.7 IBU
styrian golding 60 min 8.8
fuggles 30 min 3.8 IBU
styrian goldings 30 min 2.7

flame out fuggles and styrian again

Mash in at 50
68 for 90 min
mashout 77 for 10 min

ONly difference I'm doing is FWH instead of 60 min (finding FWH is a smoother bitterness that I prefer so doing it for all 60 min additions of late
and I'll hopstand/ whirlpool at 70 for 30 minutes

After a few discussions with @droid awhile back, putting this one down for grand final day. Just mashed in and leaving overnight.

Dry Amber Fluid
22 EBC
unknown IBU

Mash 52/62/67/72/78 for 10/10/50/10/10

Castle (Chateau) Pale 78%
Cane Sugar 20%
Midnight Wheat 2%
Homegrown Chinook FWH (just a smidge) and lots of whirlpool.
Wy1272 American Ale II @ 16C
(Some cubes will get Wy2042 for summer and some Melbourne Ale if anyone wants to give me a vial)

Latest posts

Back