What Are You Brewing III

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally have my BIAB setup complete and first AG brew to go on today. Will be getting stuck in after lunch (given it's so farking cold in Canberra now!!) and would appreciate any thoughts on the following recipe I put together in brewmate. Setup is crown urn 40L concealed element ( thanks Ross), skyhook pulley system and wort chiller hooked up to the water tank...

I am wondering if 29L will be enough liquid given its all new season dried hop flowers ( great crop this year!) and the size of the grain bill? Am assuming 70% efficiency based on other biab posts to date. will do a mashout to increase efficiency and pull the bag out at 76 degrees as Thirsty B suggests.

b]First BIAB [/b] (English Bitter )

Original Gravity (OG): 1.050 (P): 12.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (P): 3.3
Alcohol (ABV): 4.91 %
Colour (SRM): 7.5 (EBC): 14.8
Bitterness (IBU): 10.7 (Average)

90% Maris Otter Malt (4700g)
10% Crystal 20 (522g

0.9 g/L East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Aroma)
0.7 g/L East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)

Single step Infusion at 66C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 19C with Safale S-04

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

I'm doing two ofthe recipes for the AHA Big Brew Day - the wit and IPA.
(I've slightly modified the late hop additions for a quicker turn around - but close)
link
About to get cracking :)

Finally have my BIAB setup complete and first AG brew to go on today. Will be getting stuck in after lunch (given it's so farking cold in Canberra now!!) and would appreciate any thoughts on the following recipe I put together in brewmate. Setup is crown urn 40L concealed element ( thanks Ross), skyhook pulley system and wort chiller hooked up to the water tank...

I am wondering if 29L will be enough liquid given its all new season dried hop flowers ( great crop this year!) and the size of the grain bill? Am assuming 70% efficiency based on other biab posts to date. will do

I find that Brewmate tends to underestimate the volume of strike liquor for BIAB - not a drama as you'll soon make adjustments almost without thinking - but I'd seriously go 33L and see how you go, especially with hop flowers. After a few brews, once you hit the sweet spot just mark the sight tube with a permanent marker. I take it you will be enclosing the flowers in a hopsock as they'll block the urn almost instantly. A great hop bag is Ross's 2 ft square bag for about $8, pegged round the top of the urn and chuck a few SS spoons or something in to stop it billowing up.

Recipe looks great but I'd be looking at a Wyeast (liquid yeast snob I guess :lol: )

+1 on what BribieG says on strike water. I use about 32-33L for a 20L brew (90 minute boil). With that grain bill you might even need a bit more. Enjoy your first BIAB - you never look back.
Cheers
BBB

Recipe: Kent the Mild
Brewer: Mitch Dudarko
Asst Brewer:
Style: Mild
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 22.89 L
Estimated OG: 1.032 SG
Estimated Color: 30.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 28.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.80 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 90.32 %
0.10 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (236.4 EBC) Grain 3.23 %
0.10 kg Caramunich Malt (110.3 EBC) Grain 3.23 %
0.10 kg Chocolate Malt (886.5 EBC) Grain 3.23 %
45.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [3.80 %] (60 min) Hops 24.0 IBU
25.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [3.80 %] (10 min) Hops 4.8 IBU
1 Pkgs London Ale (White Labs #WLP013) Yeast-Ale

Thinking I might drop the choc malt. Will pull off 4L of first runnings to boil down.

I find that Brewmate tends to underestimate the volume of strike liquor for BIAB - not a drama as you'll soon make adjustments almost without thinking - but I'd seriously go 33L and see how you go, especially with hop flowers. After a few brews, once you hit the sweet spot just mark the sight tube with a permanent marker. I take it you will be enclosing the flowers in a hopsock as they'll block the urn almost instantly. A great hop bag is Ross's 2 ft square bag for about $8, pegged round the top of the urn and chuck a few SS spoons or something in to stop it billowing up.

Recipe looks great but I'd be looking at a Wyeast (liquid yeast snob I guess :lol: )

Awesome, thanks for that - will go to 33l and add a touch more malt to keep the alcohol where I like it. Yep have 2 hop bags ready to go (will pick up a hop sock when Ross has them back in stock). Thanks for the tip re the weights for the bags. Cheers

J :D

I am wondering if 29L will be enough liquid given its all new season dried hop flowers ( great crop this year!) and the size of the grain bill? Am assuming 70% efficiency based on other biab posts to date. will do a mashout to increase efficiency and pull the bag out at 76 degrees as Thirsty B suggests.

b]First BIAB [/b] (English Bitter )

Original Gravity (OG): 1.050 (P): 12.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (P): 3.3
Alcohol (ABV): 4.91 %
Colour (SRM): 7.5 (EBC): 14.8
Bitterness (IBU): 10.7 (Average)

90% Maris Otter Malt (4700g)
10% Crystal 20 (522g

0.9 g/L East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 19C with Safale S-04

Probably a little late now, but if possible i would try to up the bittering to around 30IBU as a minimum for your estimated OG:FG.

Turn on Brewmate's "style nazi" to help get an idea of where these values should sit if you are aiming for a particular style.

Cheers
:beer:

Awesome, thanks for that - will go to 33l and add a touch more malt to keep the alcohol where I like it. Yep have 2 hop bags ready to go (will pick up a hop sock when Ross has them back in stock). Thanks for the tip re the weights for the bags. Cheers

J :D

I gave my 2 hop socks (the ones with the plastic tops and sock like bottoms) away to people at my last brew day, I find the hops - especially flowers - seem to get a better boil in the plain bags.

I gave my 2 hop socks (the ones with the plastic tops and sock like bottoms) away to people at my last brew day, I find the hops - especially flowers - seem to get a better boil in the plain bags.

Thanks Bribie and Malt

Actually no, well in time to adjust the recipe. Had a fun interlude with the new urn that didn't work on setup (post 33L going in) but fixed that easily (they really are simple kit inside!) so 30min into mash time. I have some pride of ringwood hop flowers still - last season but frozen so will add 20g of them at 60 boil to bump it up. Was chasing a hop sock but people seem to be out of stock - bought a large hop bag and a medium hop bag so can do two clean additions in the interim.

DAMN my garage smells great with the fresh wort!

Jake

Thanks Bribie and Malt

Actually no, well in time to adjust the recipe. Had a fun interlude with the new urn that didn't work on setup (post 33L going in) but fixed that easily (they really are simple kit inside!) so 30min into mash time.

Ok had a cracker of a first biab once I got going. Everything went pretty much to plan, got 23L in the fermenter with 33L in and 2 left in the urn, at 1.060 instead of 1.050 as planned. Looks like efficiency was better than 70%. Not able to calculate efficiency on Brewmate - is there a calculation I can use?

Wort chiller dropped the wort from boil to 24 degrees in 10 minutes!

Ok had a cracker of a first biab once I got going. Everything went pretty much to plan, got 23L in the fermenter with 33L in and 2 left in the urn, at 1.060 instead of 1.050 as planned. Looks like efficiency was better than 70%. Not able to calculate efficiency on Brewmate - is there a calculation I can use?

Wort chiller dropped the wort from boil to 24 degrees in 10 minutes!

I think you can in brewmate - go to brewday and bottom right corner is the actual brewhouse efficiency. I started off on 70% efficiency - now I set it at 80%.
Go the BIAB
Cheers
BBB

Just crushed the grain for this mixed beer - using up a mixture of grains and testing it on some new equipment so tomorrow morning should be an interesting. The odd batch size is to hopefully get nearly the right amount into my cube for no chilling. Calcd the 10min and 0mins but will try to do a small boil using around 3lts of the wort the day I transfer into fermenter.

Recipe: Testing Testing APA
Brewer: Keith
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
Taste: (0.0)

Recipe Specifications
Batch Size: 19.78 L
Boil Size: 26.32 L
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 10.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 39.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
3000.00 gm Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (3.Grain 69.77 %
1000.00 gm Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)Grain 23.26 %
150.00 gm Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EBGrain 3.49 %
80.00 gm Aromatic Malt (51.2 EBC) Grain 1.86 %
70.00 gm Crystal Malt - Medium (145.0 EBC) Grain 1.63 %
15.00 gm Galena [11.70 %] (45 min) Hops 21.3 IBU
20.00 gm Apollo [18.90 %] (10 min) Hops 18.1 IBU
25.00 gm Apollo [18.90 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs US-05 (Safale #US-05) [Starter 2000 ml] Yeast-Ale

Have mashed in a Belgian Pale Ale and Southern English Brown, have had breakfast and will add the mash out water in 20 mins. Been trying different approaches with BPA, all OK but not quite on the spot. With the SEB I have increased the grain bill, will collect only 20L and add 10L of sparge water to it plus boil down the first 2L of runnings to try and get that depth of flavour I am after.
It is a great morning. Need to pick up a fridge during the wort settling and be at a Mother's Day lunch my 12.30 pm.
Life's great.

I have the same urn as you and start with 34L for a 60 minute boil. I boil off 3L per hour, lose about 3L to grain absorbtion on 5 kg grainbill and leave 4-5L in the bottom of the urn (break material etc). Unless you've mounted a pickup tube in yours, that's about tap level.

Good luck with your first brewday.

Ash

I have the same urn as you and start with 34L for a 60 minute boil. I boil off 3L per hour, lose about 3L to grain absorbtion on 5 kg grainbill and leave 4-5L in the bottom of the urn (break material etc). Unless you've mounted a pickup tube in yours, that's about tap level.

Good luck with your first brewday.

Ash

Thanks Ash - subsequent post above gives results - I watched the wort chiller do its thing and the fluid condensed/reduced pretty significantly with it, and seemed to leave all the break material in what looked more like 2 ltrs, so was able to let tap run dry (not tipping the urn and no pickup tube) with clear wort coming through.

Cheers - AG convert

found some 5 grain porridge in the health food aisle at woolies a few weeks back so i decided on a 6 grain oatmeal stout! :)

Rolled Oats, Tritacle, Rye, Barley & Rice make up the "oatmeal/porridge". To make it 6 grain, i added some wheat to the mash. :D

6 Grain (Oatmeal) stout.
Oatmeal Stout

Type: All Grain
Date: 8/05/2011
Batch Size: 35.00 L
Brewer: Braden
Boil Size: 45.78 L
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Brew Pot (40L) and Frosty Cooler (38L)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00

Ingredients
7.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (3.0 SRM) Grain 66.04 %
1.00 kg Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 9.43 %
0.80 kg 5 grain porridge (1.7 SRM) Grain 7.55 %
0.50 kg Carafa Special II (Weyermann) (415.0 SRM) Grain 4.72 %
0.50 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.72 %
0.40 kg Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.77 %
0.40 kg Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 3.77 %
15.00 gm Challenger [6.60 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 7.1 IBU
31.00 gm Magnum [12.10 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 26.8 IBU
22.00 gm Challenger [6.60 %] (10 min) Hops 3.4 IBU
1 Pkgs London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.063 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.019 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.81 %
Bitterness: 37.3 IBU
Est Color: 33.9 SRM

Mash Profile
60 min Mash In Add 32.15 L of water at 71.5 C 66.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 16.08 L of water at 88.8 C 73.0 C

Notes
boil to 35L batch size and top up with 10L of boiled water to cube 2x 20L
will reduce to 1.050 @ 32IBU~
15g cacl2- 5g boil 10g mash

First mash ever yesterday. Partial stout brewed in a bag in an esky.
I didn't expect it to exactly to plan, and it didn't.
No major headaches, just more runnings than my 20L pot could fit so did two side-by-side boils.

No chilled in kettles, topped up to 23L and got 1.066 OG
Not sure exactly how to work out efficiency, but thats the exact number BrewSmith gives me for 75%

Recipe Specifications
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 16.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 104.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 33.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
2.00 kg Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 36.70 %
2.50 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.Grain 45.87 %
0.40 kg Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (750.6 EBC) Grain 7.34 %
0.30 kg Roasted Barley (Joe White) (1398.7 EBC) Grain 5.50 %
0.20 kg Carafa Special II (Weyermann) (817.6 EBC) Grain 3.67 %
0.05 kg Black Malt (Bairds) (1300.0 EBC) Grain 0.92 %
80.00 gm Fuggles [4.50 %] (50 min) Hops 33.6 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Just testing out my new POR flowers from ellerslie.

Doing a coopers pale ale with rice

46L
7.2kg ale malt
1kg rice
.440kg wheat
60g darkcrystal

I found out recently that if i pitch coopers yeast on one of the cubes and s-189 i get two beers, a coopers pale ale and an aussie lager. I'm not much of a fan of australian lagers, but my dad is so i make sure there's a keg in there for him.

Anyway these flowers are smelling tops!

Just testing out my new POR flowers from ellerslie.

Doing a coopers pale ale with rice

46L
7.2kg ale malt
1kg rice
.440kg wheat
60g darkcrystal

I found out recently that if i pitch coopers yeast on one of the cubes and s-189 i get two beers, a coopers pale ale and an aussie lager. I'm not much of a fan of australian lagers, but my dad is so i make sure there's a keg in there for him.

Anyway these flowers are smelling tops!

Nice Ekul... I bought the POR from Ellerslie too (1kg, so heres hoping I dont get sick of Coopers :D )

I make a similar recipe, but sans the rice... Care to share why you use rice in your recipe too?? Trial and error or... Looks ok is all!

I love my CPA clone I make, and swore I WILL NEVER change the recipe... Sell the idea to me. The idea of the aussie lager is a good one too! :beerbang:

Thanks

Nev

Going to try a split double batch tomorrow morning - American Brown Ale / Northern English Brown Ale. Same kettle hops. Different cube hops and yeast.

Thinking i might up the Munich another 5% for a bit more maltiness?

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Little Fella's Brown Ale
Brewer: Argon
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Brown Ale / Northern English Brown Ale
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
Batch Size: 43.00 L
Boil Size: 52.70 L
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 18.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 39.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
7.00 kg Ale Malt, Golden Promise (Thomas Fawcett) Grain 68.29 %
2.00 kg Munich I Malt (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 19.51 %
0.75 kg Victory Malt (biscuit) (Briess) (28.0 SRM)Grain 7.32 %
0.20 kg Chocolate Malt - Pale (Thomas Fawcett) (33Grain 1.95 %
0.20 kg Crystal Malt Dark (Thomas Fawcett) (121.8 Grain 1.95 %
0.10 kg Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (508.0 SRMGrain 0.98 %

Kettle Hops
100.00 gm East Kent Goldings [4.70 %] (60 min) Hops 26.2 IBU

Cube Hops 1
40.00 gm Cascade [5.40 %] (10 min) Hops 4.4 IBU
40.00 gm Chinook [11.40 %] (10 min) Hops 9.2 IBU

Cube Hops 2
40.00 gm East Kent Goldings [4.70 %] (10 min) Hops 3.8 IBU

8.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 10.25 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 27.00 L of water at 72.5 C 65.0 C

Notes:
------
Cube 1 = 40 Chinook + 40 Cascade (39.8IBU) US05 - American Brown
Cube 2 = 40 EKG (30IBU) WY1469 - Northern English Brown
estimated mash pH 5.32

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back