What are you brewing 2015?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would brew as is if all grains are crushed (as Vienna in initial intention) then see if you agree re: the cararoma. While I agree it is probably out of place, it's your beer and your tastebuds and the best way to get to know what ingredients bring to the party is to brew, taste and associate flavours with ingredients and process. Then tweak for next time. Leave the citra for a beer intended to take citra.

Just had 11 days off work, back to work tomorrow
prior to this lot i had only ever made 4 all grain brews
managed to get 5 brews down :)
Pilsner with some SAAZ to 32 IBU, first crack at a pils, looking forward to it
Dr Smurto's Mosaic Pale ale
An IPA with ale Malt (87%), victory malt(3.5%), ,Carapils(3.5%) Crystal (4.3%) and wheat 1.7%), Magnum amarillo and Simco Hops to 106.4 IBU's
My second batch of "Bacon Beer", a Rauchbier that my mates went crazy over the first batch :)
and a beer with more hops than i have ever seen before lol- The Yeastie boys digital IPA, Brewed this with my mate who was the whole reason i ended up starting all grain brewing because he wanted to make this beer lol

Now to get through 2 weeks at work so i can come home and start to drink em :)

For a warm up, Coopers PA clone. Followed by a JS hop thief.
Clone.
If we decide to holiday with family again next Christmas, laudanum.

Hey Dave,
Can you tell how the JSHT goes - both recipe and end result?
I'd be v keen to turn out one like the Hop Thief #2 or #3.
Do you take you laudanum with absinthe? :ph34r: :lol:

PS: @Beercus, i'd go with what Manticle said. I'd be more keen to use the Hall Mitt for bittering (v smooth) and use Citra at the end for flavour/aroma. However i only just noticed it looks like you're still going to be using the Lager yeast, so i'd probably drop the Citra all together - that way you'll be able to tell a bit more specifically what the HM & CaraAroma/Vienna are doing in your lager. If you were desperate to use the citra, i'd go 5-10g at the end (or in the cube) - but you'll end up with a hoppy lager where the citra may dominate completely (not a bad thing, but you'll struggle to detect the Hall Mitt and maybe some of the more delicate malt elements).
Again, just my very loose opinion.

technobabble66 said:
Hey Dave,
Can you tell how the JSHT goes - both recipe and end result?
I'd be v keen to turn out one like the Hop Thief #2 or #3.
Do you take you laudanum with absinthe? :ph34r: :lol:

PS: @Beercus, i'd go with what Manticle said. I'd be more keen to use the Hall Mitt for bittering (v smooth) and use Citra at the end for flavour/aroma. However i only just noticed it looks like you're still going to be using the Lager yeast, so i'd probably drop the Citra all together - that way you'll be able to tell a bit more specifically what the HM & CaraAroma/Vienna are doing in your lager. If you were desperate to use the citra, i'd go 5-10g at the end (or in the cube) - but you'll end up with a hoppy lager where the citra may dominate completely (not a bad thing, but you'll struggle to detect the Hall Mitt and maybe some of the more delicate malt elements).
Again, just my very loose opinion.
I'm tipping the JSHT will just be more one of my standard APA grain bills with perhaps a little more caramunich with plenty of late Columbus and Simcoe to around 40 ish IBUs. Definitely some dry hopping also. Its more the hop profile that hooked me.
Can you believe I've never actually used those hops exclusively in a brew before?..

I prefer to take my laudanum slightly chilled mixed with a little cranberry juice whilst sitting in a wardrobe and staring at an artificial candle. (safety first).

Mashed in cold last night on a pale, set the timer for the HEX/Pump to jump on at 5am :beerbang:

4kg Pale
4kg Pilsner
4kg Wheat
2.25kg Munich I
0.2kg acidulated (should have had a bit more)

8.6 EBC so goinfg for something quite light in color compared to what I usually do ;)

50g Centennial @ 40

Cube 1
45g Citra
30g Columbus

Cube 2
50g Simcoe
40g Mosaic

Cube 3
50g Centennial
50g Citra
50g Mosaic

Yob said:
Mashed in cold last night on a pale, set the timer for the HEX/Pump to jump on at 5am :beerbang:

4kg Pale
4kg Pilsner
4kg Wheat
2.25kg Munich I
0.2kg acidulated (should have had a bit more)

8.6 EBC so goinfg for something quite light in color compared to what I usually do ;)

50g Centennial @ 40

Cube 1
45g Citra
30g Columbus

Cube 2
50g Simcoe
40g Mosaic

Cube 3
50g Centennial
50g Citra
50g Mosaic
that is brilliant...1 brew session = 3 beers!!

:beerbang:

What Ibu do you get from that 40m Centennial addition to the boil?

without checking the computer in the shed, I went for about 17

my rule of thumb is 1/4 IBU for Pale ales and 1/3 IBU for IPA

brewing up a special bitter this weekend. admittedly, not very english grain-wise, but it's more of a test for my recent drop in mash efficiency so am using the same grist (crushing it finer to compare) as a previous american pale ale.

94% pale
6% crystal

ekg at 60, 30 and 5 (and dry) to 35 ibu

m07 at 19-20C

innit, chavs.

My cascade and chinook Pale and the Pacific Ale clone are both currently dry hopping and CC'ing. Tasting great from the samples I took. Can't wait.

The Rye Saision was a disaster, burnt onto the element. Bugger.

I'm planning to do an IPA next: 80% pale, 15% wheat, 5% medium crystal to around 1.070 OG. Plan on using Columbus, Simcoe and Amarillo, haven't finalised the hop schedule yet but aiming for 65 ish IBU.

Planning a 3rd overnight mash on the BM which reduces my actual brewday to less than 4hrs :super: ( usually takes ~ 7-8hrs )

Also need to figure out how to clean the thread on my old coopers fermenter, seems to be a slight discolouring on the FV thread that I will take to with the high pressure tonight.

Snow Eater Ale

OG - 1.042
FG - 1.008
ABV - 4.3%
IBU - 22
Vol - 20Lt
BHE - 70%

82% Ale
15% Vienna
3% Medium Crystal (60L)

Chinook @ 20m = 6ibu
Chinook @ 10m = 16ibu
Chinook 1.8g/L dry hopped for 5-7days

Fermented with US05 @ 19c

Pratty1 said:
Planning a 3rd overnight mash on the BM which reduces my actual brewday to less than 4hrs :super: ( usually takes ~ 7-8hrs )
Hi Pratty, forgot to ask last time if you measured the mash pH to see if the long rest at 25C caused lacto to lower the mash pH (ie. sour mash)? I know you gained a few points in efficiency, but did you notice any differences in attenuation? Might have to give this a go.

Black n Tan said:
Hi Pratty, forgot to ask last time if you measured the mash pH to see if the long rest at 25C caused lacto to lower the mash pH (ie. sour mash)?
I havent checked the pH on these overnight beers so I couldnt say if any lacto was created. From what I have read the pH for that needs to be below 4.2. If the attenuation of my beers is any indicator, then now worries on that front.

I tend to mash in Beta and Alpha for example - 63c/40m & 73c for 30m, this has seen normally low attenuating english strains exceeding 80% becuase of the low 60's mash profile. For the past 2 ONM beers they too have attenuated very well and both had english strains so I think its ok.

There is an entire thread on the BM forum about this style of mashing, most of them use an extended 78c mashout rest, but I go with a extended mash IN after being advised from my old LHBS about that and its effectiveness to increase eff and reduce brewday time.

https://forum.braumeisters.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=51

Been fluffing around all morning trying to decide what to brew.

Come up with this one, will most likely do it in the morning as its quite hot now :)

Basically interested in trying the Saaz hops, with a little Amarillo to kick the IBU

Bit of guesswork in recipe design, any comments welcome.

9 Simple Saaz

Original Gravity (OG): 1.055 (°P): 13.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (°P): 3.6
Alcohol (ABV): 5.40 %
Colour (SRM): 5.3 (EBC): 10.4
Bitterness (IBU): 24.9 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

87.73% Pale Ale Malt
8.76% Wheat Malt
3.51% Munich I

0.4 g/L Amarillo (8.6% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
2 g/L Saaz (3.03% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil)
0.8 g/L Saaz (3.03% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

1/2 Whirlfloc Tablet @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 18°C with Safale US-05

Pratty1 said:
I havent checked the pH on these overnight beers so I couldnt say if any lacto was created. From what I have read the pH for that needs to be below 4.2. If the attenuation of my beers is any indicator, then now worries on that front.

I tend to mash in Beta and Alpha for example - 63c/40m & 73c for 30m, this has seen normally low attenuating english strains exceeding 80% becuase of the low 60's mash profile. For the past 2 ONM beers they too have attenuated very well and both had english strains so I think its ok.

There is an entire thread on the BM forum about this style of mashing, most of them use an extended 78c mashout rest, but I go with a extended mash IN after being advised from my old LHBS about that and its effectiveness to increase eff and reduce brewday time.

https://forum.braumeisters.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=51
If you get a chance to measure the pH at mash-out I would very interested in the result. The increased attenuation doesn't surprise me as alpha and beta amylase will have longer time to work, albeit not at their optimal temperature range. I'll have a read of the thread you linked.

Mr B said:
Been fluffing around all morning trying to decide what to brew.

Come up with this one, will most likely do it in the morning as its quite hot now :)

Basically interested in trying the Saaz hops, with a little Amarillo to kick the IBU

Bit of guesswork in recipe design, any comments welcome.

9 Simple Saaz

Colour (SRM): 5.3 (EBC): 10.4

87.73% Pale Ale Malt
8.76% Wheat Malt
3.51% Munich I

Either have >15% munich in the grist, or drop it completely IMO.

sponge said:
Either have >15% munich in the grist, or drop it completely IMO.
Interesting. Why so?

Should add a bit of mouthfeel and body, and a little more complexity?

Comes from the Simple Saaz Blonde recipe, but I don't have any Pilsner so going ale malt based

Thanks for the comment sponge.

Slightly changed:

9 Simple Saaz

Colour (SRM): 5.5 (EBC): 10.8

83.87% Pale Ale Malt
8.06% Munich I
8.06% Wheat Malt

We shall see how i goes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back