What are you brewing 2015?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First wheat beer.. decided on yeast danstar munich

German Wheat

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 21.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.300
Total Hops (g): 27.30
Original Gravity (OG): 1.045 (°P): 11.2
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (°P): 2.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.42 %
Colour (SRM): 4.6 (EBC): 9.1
Bitterness (IBU): 15.2 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
1.900 kg TF Maris Otter (44.19%)
1.900 kg Wheat Malt (44.19%)
0.500 kg Munich I (11.63%)

Hop Bill
----------------
27.3 g Tettnanger Pellet (4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.3 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with

Recipe Generated with http://www.brewmate.net]BrewMate[/URL]
Refractometer Reading .98 about 4.9% very pleased

I reckon go mjs between the two yeasts mate. much nicer in my opinion. mine was fermented at 19, and came out lovely. pretty even in terms of clove and banana but not overbearing. I'm going to push it higher next time or under pitch slightly to experiment

First brew of the new year on the stove boiling away now, wanted something sessionable:

Whipped Resolution Cream Ale
Batch size: 25lt - No Chill
Est OG: 1.045
Est FG: 1.011
Est IBUs: 17.3
Est. ABV: 4.5% (after bottling)

4.0kg of Pilsen Pale Malt
0.6kg of Wheat Malt
0.44kg of Dry Polenta (cooked for 10min in 4lts of boiling water)
0.5kg of Rice (cooked in boiling water for 15min until almost dry but not burning)

11g of Simcoe @ 60min

Mashed in @ 67.4'c
Mashed out @ 64.7

A few degrees lost in the mash by my old esky as usual - new one on the way.

Added 9 litres of Boiling water to bring the mash up to 75'c for 10min before lautering and batch sparging. It is probably one of the 'wettest' mashes I've ever had; maybe a 5:1 ratio by the time I got to lautering but it's boiling away merrily now.

Might infuse the brew with the zests of two or three limes soaked in a shot of vodka for a few days at bottling...

Special Thanks to Seehuusen and Mad_Pierre for giving me my first tastes of Cream Ales and for the idea of using polenta, rice and infusions - you freakin' madmen :D

Forgot to say the yeast for my cream ale;

it'll be sitting on a 2lt starter of Wyeast 1450; Dennys favourite 50.

This one boiling on the stove now, my 2nd brew of the new year...

Rye so Pale Ale - APA
25lt Batch - No chill
Est OG: 1.053
Est FG: 1.013
Est IBUs: 38
Est ABV: 5.3% (after bottling)

4.5kg of Pearle Pale Ale Malt
0.85kg of Rye Malt
0.65kg of Munich I
0.40kg of Victory
0.30kg of Melanoidin

4g of Magnum @ 60min
32g of Amarillo @ 10min
32g of Mosaic @ 0min
30g of Centennial - Dry Hopped

Wyeast 1450: Dennys Favourite 50 - 1.5lt starter.

Smelling so damn malty right now :p

See how it comes out. If you find the malt profile odd, I'd look at reducing victory and melanoiden amounts next time, especially if using together. A little victory goes a long way - same for any of the toasty specs.

manticle said:
See how it comes out. If you find the malt profile odd, I'd look at reducing victory and melanoiden amounts next time, especially if using together. A little victory goes a long way - same for any of the toasty specs.
The original recipe called for Victory and honey malt (which I understand we can't get here in Aus) but subbed the Honey Malt out for the Melanoidin. I hope I haven;t tripped over my own feet - so to speak :unsure:

Put this down on the weekend,
samples are very promising.

Choc Cherry Porter

Original Gravity (OG): 1.045 (°P): 11.2
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (°P): 2.8
Alcohol (ABV): 4.42 %
Colour (SRM): 23.4 (EBC): 46.1
Bitterness (IBU): 30.3 (Average)

78.81% Concerto Ale Simpsons
16.64% Brown Malt
4.14% Chocolate, Pale
0.28% Carafa III malt
0.13% Black Roasted Barley

1.4 g/L East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1.4 g/L East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil)
1.4 g/L Styrian Golding (4.8% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

1.5 Kg Stella cherries boil 60 minutes.
200gm Whitakers Ghana 72% Choc boil 15 minutes.
Step mash 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes
Fermented at 19°C with WLP005 - British Ale
Notes:
Carafa and Roast added to mash @ 67c

Primed to 2.0 volumes.

Brewing my second version of a simple Saison recipe using 100% Bestmalz Pils malts and EKGs at 60 min, 20 min and 2 min, 4.2% abv.

Using Wyeast 3711 which I harvested from the last batch, washed and chucked it into a starter last night, ready to rock straight into a 45 Litre batch tonight.

20min left of the boil..

Aussie lager

80% pils
10% wheat
10% sugaz

18IBU
1g/L EKG @ FWH

DSC_0126.JPG

RIS

Started mashing this:

Saison du Malt
OG=0.045
FG=0.006
alc=5.4%
IBU=19.2
EBC=12.7

3kg Boh Plis (61%)
1kg Vienna (20%)
0.5kg Munich II (10%)
0.1kg Victory (2%)
0.15kg Melanoiden (3%)
0.05kg Amber (1%)
0.1kg Acidulated (2%)

2g CaSO4 + 2g CaCl + 1g MgSO4 into Mash
0.8g CaSO4 + 1.3g CaCl + 0.5g MgSO4 into Sparge
0.5g CaSO4 + 1g CaCl + 0.5g MgSO4 into Boil

24L Mash & 10L Sparge

55/65/72/78 for 5/60/20/2
Boil for 80mins

15g Horizon @ 20min
10g Hall Mitt @ 20min
14g Select @ 20min
5g Horizon @ 5min
5g Horizon @ 0min

Mangrove Jack M27 @ 23°C for 3 days, then ramp to 27°C
-------
Accidentally ramped the 65°C step to 70°C then had to add 2L cold water and stirring to drop it back to 65°C after 5-10mins. :unsure: Bugger!! Hopefully it'll still be fine.

Got my hands on an old fridge and temp controller.....

Time for my first lager..... I am going to have a go at a Vienna Lager...

I still need to read more about lagers but from what I understand all is the same until a warm rest after 10days of fermenting, then lager cold for a month or so in the keg....

Thoughts...

image.jpg

Just wondering why the 10% caraaroma? Thats alot!!

Ive used 6% and then remade it with 3% on my Amber Ales that have heaps of hops late in the kettle and the aroma from that malt ( hence the name ) is very noticeable, plus the flavor it imparts into the beer is very solid.

Read this and assess weather you will use that malt:

(From BJCP)

Aroma: Moderately rich German malt aroma (of Vienna and/or Munich malt). A light toasted malt aroma may be present. Similar, though less intense than Oktoberfest. Clean lager character, with no fruity esters or diacetyl. Noble hop aroma may be low to none. Caramel aroma is inappropriate.

Pratty1 said:
Just wondering why the 10% caraaroma? Thats alot!!

Ive used 6% and then remade it with 3% on my Amber Ales that have heaps of hops late in the kettle and the aroma from that malt ( hence the name ) is very noticeable, plus the flavor it imparts into the beer is very solid.

Read this and assess weather you will use that malt:

(From BJCP)

Aroma: Moderately rich German malt aroma (of Vienna and/or Munich malt). A light toasted malt aroma may be present. Similar, though less intense than Oktoberfest. Clean lager character, with no fruity esters or diacetyl. Noble hop aroma may be low to none. Caramel aroma is inappropriate.
I increased the caraaroma for colour, I read no more than 15% so I thought I was ok. I have not used it before.

I have the grains already mixed and milled fro LHBS.

should I go ahead or look at other options?

Thanks
Beercus

Partigyle today...
98 parts Golden Promise
2 parts Simpsons Crystal
2:1 Gypsum to Chloride

English IPA
1.052 50IBU
Fuggles in the copper at 60m, Goldings & Challenger late
WLP002 London ESB

XPA
1.052 40 IBU
25g Amarillo and 25g Simcoe @ 20m
20g Amarillo, 20g Simcoe & 20g Chinook @ 0
US-05

Follow the brew in pictures if you'd like...
instagram.com/booker_h

Here's a taste...

image.jpg

beercus said:
I increased the caraaroma for colour, I read no more than 15% so I thought I was ok. I have not used it before.

I have the grains already mixed and milled fro LHBS.

should I go ahead or look at other options?
If you were aiming for a Vienna Lager you wont get that style using the current grist. By all means, make the beer and find out what Caraaroma brings to the beer, with a clean lager yeast and no other hops it will be the main player, plus having all that flavour from the Vienna and Munich it will be sweet.

Id explore the option to make that into an amber ale or english bitter by changing the hops and yeast to suit those styles.

Did you tell the LHBS that you were making a Vienna Lager?

Pratty1 said:
If you were aiming for a Vienna Lager you wont get that style using the current grist. By all means, make the beer and find out what Caraaroma brings to the beer, with a clean lager yeast and no other hops it will be the main player, plus having all that flavour from the Vienna and Munich it will be sweet.

Id explore the option to make that into an amber ale or english bitter by changing the hops and yeast to suit those styles.

Did you tell the LHBS that you were making a Vienna Lager?
yes.

I do not like overly sweet beers...... Could I change this with a lower mash temp?

Thanks for the help

A minor note on CaraAroma - i find it to be a little harsher at early on, then it mellows beautifully, esp if it's in higher quantities. So either way, i'd suggest you might need to leave it for a month or three before drinking. It'll probably still be good beforehand, but it'll be more awesome after 3 months. That's just for my tastebuds, of course.
10% seems a little high, even for an Amber, however it is the only darker grain/crystal. I have no idea about Vienna (i.e.: how sweet it'll be). I'd be tempted to go with Pratty and convert it to an Amber or ESB - given the only spec/crystal is the 10% CaraAroma, it should still work out v well. If fact, you could probably leave as is and just change your yeast. Maybe mash a whisker lower, say ~65°C if you're worried about sweetness, but i'm guessing there. Maybe throw in a little EKG at the end if you have it (for UK style) or Cascade to bring the hops element up a fraction more.
Or you could get your funk on and throw in some Belgian/Saison yeast - don't think you'd need to change anything there other than the yeast, and ferment at 23-27°C.
That's all just my loose opinion, so take it w a grain of salt!

Limitations: LHBS closed Mondays!, ( and I want to brew it today), only other hops I have is citra.

So I will put in the citra (16g) @ 60 mins. (19IBU)
I will put all the hallertauer in the cube (70g) ( assume @20min, 12.5 IBUs)

Mash @65oC, ferment out and then lager for as long as I can handle it.

See what happens

Will this higher bitterness help balance out the malt?
Is the citra a bad idea as a bittering hop?

Thanks for all the assistance, love this site....

Beercus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back