What are you brewing 2015?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Helles, can you help me out.......8 different malts??

A Voyager/Citra SMASH has just been cubed.

Voyager 'Veloria' Ale malt to 1.051.
Citra to 40IBU with a small addition at 60 and the remainder cube hopped.
Might dry hop with Citra too.

Will use US-05.

Threw 2 brews through the 3V, plenty of cubes lined up for the coming months.

final_cubes_zps6cqgivdd.jpg

The MIDAPA is my house beer
112L batch
90% eff (when I wrote this recipe I was getting 75% eff = 3.8% abv, at 90% eff this MID beer is now 4.6%abv)
12kg BB Ale
6kg Munich II
0.5kg Crystal
10g Cal Chloride
20g Cal Sulfate
5g Epsom
112g POR 60min
112g Cascade 0min
112g Cascade Dry hop

The Bo Pils recipe was made up on the fly
112L batch
90% eff
19kg Wey Bo Pils (because that is what was left in the bag)
30g Cal Chloride
30g Cal Sulfate
5g Epsom
80g Northern Brewer 60min
80g Saaz 60min
56g Saaz 5min

sponge said:
Mashing out a Vienna lager smash.

100% Vienna
2g/L styrians @ fwh

28ibus
I woke up to some weird chest pains this morning but didn't do anything about it til the cube was filled. Not on purpose, just kept getting worse throughout the day and wasn't until I'd finished the boil that I thought I should probably get it looked at.

Turns out I have a really bad case of pneumothorax and could've turned pretty bad if I left it another hour or two..

I shall call this brew smashed lung lager.

God dammit hospitals are boring though. Need some more morphine..

Get well sponge. Good to see you finished the beer first :).

yes be well mate, recuperate

doing an apa? today

94% maris otter
5% weyerman crystal
1% roast barley
67deg single
mosaic to 38 ibu plus ?gms dry hop mosaic
bry-97 at 18deg

shout outs to doc :beer:

have a great Australia day!!!

Sponge - best wishes for a speedy recovery and tasty brew

pneumothorax- had to look that up and doesn't sound nice. Trust its not overly severe and you heal quickly.
Cheers

Thanks for the kind words fellas.

First procedure didn't get rid of all the air, so just about to go under to get it properly drained.

They got rid of 3L from the air pocket yesterday but looks like that was only half of it. Fun few days ahead..

Happy Aus day all!

Now, back to brew talk.

Pratty1 said:
# 99 - American Amber Ale

OG - 1.054
FG - 1.012
ABV - 5.4%
IBU - 38
EBC - 28

71% Ale Malt
15% Munich
6% Carared
6% Med Crystal
2% Pale Choc

Mashed @ 66c

Citra @ 60m = 18ibu

Centennial / Amarillo @ 10m = 10ibu
Centennial / Amarillo @ 2m = 10ibu

Fermented with WLP001

Dry Hopped with Centennial / Amarillo / Citra @ 3g/L for 7days

Misc - Yeast Nutrient, Gypsum, Pure O2

this one looks awesome mate. I've not done an amber yet but am scared of putting too much crystal in and making it overly sweet. I see you've got around 12%. how does that usually work? I suppose in combination with the chocolate and munich it's not cloying

Belgian Sorachi Ace

OG - 1.053
FG - 1.014
ABV - 5.1%
IBU - 34.5
EBC - 8.8

50% Pale
50% Pale Wheat

Sorachi Ace 28 IBU at 30, 5 IBU at 5 and then flameout

Fermented with 1214 Abbey Ale

Dry hop with Sorachi - 1g/L

fletcher said:
this one looks awesome mate. I've not done an amber yet but am scared of putting too much crystal in and making it overly sweet. I see you've got around 12%. how does that usually work? I suppose in combination with the chocolate and munich it's not cloying
Hi Fletcher, 12% is std for this style, I make a couple of these a year and when I started it was at 30% crystal. Then I went to 20% and then 10%, the 10% was with 6% med crystal and 3% caraaroma and the caraaroma got in the way of the hop aroma which I didnt like.

This one has a lower crystal 20L using the carared which is why the med crystal is also at 6%. Its in the fermented cooling now and will be my beer for The Vic comp at Enmore if everything goes well.

Pratty1 said:
Hi Fletcher, 12% is std for this style, I make a couple of these a year and when I started it was at 30% crystal. Then I went to 20% and then 10%, the 10% was with 6% med crystal and 3% caraaroma and the caraaroma got in the way of the hop aroma which I didnt like.

This one has a lower crystal 20L using the carared which is why the med crystal is also at 6%. Its in the fermented cooling now and will be my beer for The Vic comp at Enmore if everything goes well.
nice one! I'll surely give it a supsup. also, I have to get my beers brewing! haha

Pilsner, loosely Czech-based

20l, ~5.2% 25IBU

4kg JW pilsner
150 acidulated (3.8%)

25g Saaz FWH
15g plug of hallertauer hersbrucker at whirlpool
20g Saaz in the cube

Yeast nutrient
Single 63°C sacc rest, up to 72 etc.
O2 prior to yeast
NO acid or salt additions.

2.5l starter of WLP800 yeast recultured from a previous brew, which managed to escape out the top of the 3l flask. There'd be a good 200ml of fresh yeast in it I reckon, no pitching issues this time.

I wanted to brew a hoppy northern brown ale but had some Belgian Ardennes yeast going. Decided to do something in between a belgian dubble and a brown ale.

3.8kg Vienna
1kg Munich
300g CaraRye
250g CaraMunich II
200g Pale Chocolate malt
150g Spec B

20g Pacifica @ 60 mins
30g Challenger @ Cube
20g Pacifica @ Cube
25g Challenger @ 2 mins (separate boil of wort at 3 days into fermentation)

23L
IBU 29
OG 1.057
FG estimated @ 1.014
Belgian Ardennes yeast at 17.5 for the first couple days then ramped up to 24 over a day or so
Step mashed for a fermentable wort

Brewing happened to be interrupted by a brown snake wandering around the area where I brew. I've only seen red bellies around my place but I guess the brown ale brings the brown snakes out.

A mild for an upcoming club event

61.2% Maris otter
26.6% abbey malt
4.6% pale crystal
4.6% medium crystal
3.1% chocolate

Challenger @ 60

17 IBU

Irish ale yeast.

This is the Rye Saison I'm currently boiling.

OG: 1.056 ABV: 6.2%
IBU: 25 Size: 25L
FG: 1.008?

4.6kg Pilsner - 70%
1kg Wheat Malt - 15%
1kg Rye Malt - 15%
15g Magnum @ 90 min
20g EKG in cube
Wyeast 3724 - Belgian Saison, recultured and made into 4L starter.

Mashed at 65 for 75min
Mash out at 78
Sparge at 76

Notes: Stuff up my boil calc so my boil is now 120min instead of 90min. The wort that doesn't fit into the cubes I will add to a stainless pot cooled and will pitch yeast tonight. Would put it into the flask but I've got another starter in that atm.

I've got some of those tall skinny 15 litre fresh wort kit containers so tomorrow I'm going to try a double batch in my 50l keggle to fill 2 at once. Put my boil volume at 42l. With only 5kg of grain I think I'll squeeze it in. Find out tomorrow I guess. Basically same recipe as above mild.

Finished the first batch before lunch so I thought I'd just keep going and do my first double batch BIAB since going to BIAB. I used to brew doubles all the time with my 3v but haven't been game so far, as I wasn't sure if the grain bag plus all the after water would fit.

So far no issues, 42 litres and 5kg of grain fit fine. It was close to the top but no problems. Just by eye the volume should be fine for 2 x 15 litre cubes and I suspect I could fill a 17 litre one and a 15 litre one. I've got a 17l one handy that I'm soaking in iodophor.

Pre boil gravity looks good so at the moment all good to go.

This beer is 1.037, and I reckon I could go up to 1.045 before I started to struggle for room, though if I wasn't lazy I could add less strike water and then sparge it back once I lifted the bag. I am a lazy brewer though.

Haven't brewed for at least 6 weeks, and now with 3 batches on one day won't need to for easily 6 weeks. No chill is da shizzle :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back