What Are We All Doing For Australia Day?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey mckenry,
Some times just sometimes, traditions need to be broken, if you just went ape shit on your home brew and played up big time, misses would have to drive, you will be in the dog house for a day or 2, roses given to swmbo next day, problem solved as you won't be invited back. Or even better give the 90 y.olds some homebrew they are probably hanging for a good timeCheers

Ha, Thanks for the advice. Problem is, I like the parents-in-law themselves, so cant play up. My turn to drive - alternate years with wifey.

I was telling wifey about this and she reminded me that whilst I wont see test cricket, I will get to play...
Goes like this;
Electronic gizmo loving nephews are told by their mother "See if Uncle will bowl to you"
"Sure" I say. It gets me away from knucklehead know-it-all anyway.
So I set up the bin for wickets, teach the nephew how to hold the bat (again as he hasnt held one since last Oz day)
Bowl nice and easy dolly drops underarm. He will edge 3 and miss 23.
He'll say "my arms hurt" and go pick up his iPod
Process starts again with other nephew.
I go back to yelling at 90 year olds and having bro-in-law telling me how to move the worlds biggest bridge across the ocean or something equally as useful. He gets all his amazing intellect from watching GO & 7Mate. I'll say something like "Cool, well, when I next need a bridge moved..." Wifey will have a wry smile, walk away and leave me with him :lol:

Ha, Thanks for the advice. Problem is, I like the parents-in-law themselves, so cant play up. My turn to drive - alternate years with wifey.

I was telling wifey about this and she reminded me that whilst I wont see test cricket, I will get to play...
Goes like this;
Electronic gizmo loving nephews are told by their mother "See if Uncle will bowl to you"
So I set up the bin for wickets, teach the nephew how to hold the bat (again as he hasnt held one since last Oz day)
I go back to yelling at 90 year olds and having bro-in-law telling me how to move the worlds biggest bridge across the ocean or something equally as useful. He gets all his amazing intellect from watching GO & 7Mate. I'll say something like "Cool, well, when I next need a bridge moved..." Wifey will have a wry smile, walk away and leave me with him :lol:

headbutt him

Goes like this;
Love it mate, at least your doing your bit for Australia day

mckenry said:
Drive for 2 hours to the inlaws for a BBQ.
Talk to the inlaws 90 y.o friends.
Repeat myself coz they cant hear me.
Repeat myself coz they still cant hear me.
Give up on talking.
Drink a couple of light beer coz I'm driving.
Miss the cricket. They hate sport.
Act interested as my nephews show me their latest electronic toys.
Listen to my dumb-ass bro-in-law rabbit on. He's the world expert on everyting - including my job.
Drive 2 hours home.

Its a tradition.

mckenry said:

Goes like this;
Well, no-one has died or moved, so this is on again for me....

Moving house with one trailer :unsure:

Should be plenty of work, definitely looking forward to a cold brew afterwards.

Happy Straya Day all!

Going up the coast to camp. Sit down with a couple of beers and maybe see what the cricket is doing.

Not gonna worry about anything.

Lemon

working sat, sun and monday then all week and then all next weekend. Prob be more work after that to :angry:

I will brew, whine about non Australians getting the day off too.
Make a curry with real chillis, get hammered, fall asleep on the couch, wake up and wonder what I did.
Like most days. :super:
Nev

hmm thats sad looked back and I was working last year to :( Why does every one want work done on australia day long weekend. I got 3 people wanting work done, I didnt work the last 3 weekends now they all want it done the same weekend :huh:

Be having a barbie,sinking a few, hottest 100 in the background(if can get reception!), while camping at Barrington with a dozen mates.

Only downside is LHBS has a cask of TTL that they imported and are cracking on Australia day... :icon_drool2: and I will be many kilometres away.

kelbygreen said:
hmm thats sad looked back and I was working last year to :( Why does every one want work done on australia day long weekend. I got 3 people wanting work done, I didnt work the last 3 weekends now they all want it done the same weekend :huh:

I will be sending Kelby some tissues! :p

Party at my brother's house, where he's doing some 10 hr slow roasts in his brick pizza oven: Lamb, Beef and Pork,

and I'm putting on a keg of my experimental aussie pale ale....

it's gonna be ok.

bbq sat. working 9pm till 7am sun night/mon morn then if not too tired, will knock out a couple of batches of god knows what (reality: get home and drink beer till i pass out :D )

Happy Straya Day! cnuts!

nar I will be fine cocko they will be stuck together by some substance, we all know what but I sure as hell wont go near them

Same as I have for the past couple of years.

Spend the day in the shed brewing while listening to the triple J hottest 100 and having a few (lots) beers

Going inside every 15 minutes to complain to the missus how shit the hottest 100 is this year, too much hip hop/rap and
explain how much better the hottest 100 was back in my day, at least if you wanted to call yourself a musician you had to be able to play a musical instrument,
none of this copying someone else's music and talking over the top of it. That's not music, that's just crap.

The missus will agree with me the first half dozen times I come in, then she will get the shits and lock the back door so I can't get inside. I'll try ringing her on the phone
to have a whinge, but that usually only works once, then she stops answering.

Go back to the shed and try to concentrate on my drinking and brewing. Lose track of my late hop additions, end up putting in more hops than planned.

Somehow end up with a full fermenter in the fridge, pitch my yeast, consider cleaning up but decide, **** it, I'm too pissed to do it properly anyway.

Convince the missus to let me back inside so I can lie on the lounge to watch the cricket. Promptly fall asleep and begin to snore loudly.
Get woken up by the missus and the kids who have the shits because they can't hear the TV on account of my snoring.

Stumble up stairs and collapse into bed, pass out.

All in all a top day.

Kid's off with the auntie and uncle, so just me and the missus. Yes!
But I'll probably be working on the brewery, might throw a shrimp on the barbie. Won't be brewing though, sadly!

BBQ brew day at mine again, some of the regulars coming. Drinking lots and brewing lots too hopefully!

Cheers

Latest posts

Back