Weighing Hops And Other Small Quantities

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
I bought a small kitchen scales from Woolies for about 8 bucks which is absolutely perfect for measuring steeping grains, sugars for bulk priming etc.
However it's not 'fine' enough for hops. What do members use, how much, and where do you get them?

I bought my scales from BigW or Harris Scarfe or one of those type shops. Have a look through the junk mail pile, (or on the web). Mine measures up to 5Kg in 1g increments which will do for me. Others have gone the postage scales - check ebay thread over the past month or 2.

Look for jewelers scales on ebay, measure in 0.1 gram or better accuracy. I got mine for nicks off my brother, but he tells me they are pretty cheap.

missus needed new scales last year so I offered to go buy one. Got it from one of the Robin's Kitchen franchises. Weighs up to 5kg in 1g increments. Paid $65 and haven't looked back. Suits what I need it for perfectly B)

Jaycar has a range of small scales. I use the 1kg 0.1g resolution model for measuring hops and LDME - I use an old takeaway container so they don't roll off the scales.

K-mart or BigW can't remember which on, I got 0.1g increments up to 2kg for fairly cheap. Nice looking glass surface etc.

QldKev

I got this digi scale for hops & other small measures.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1165

Great product for the $$.

I bought ones like these..

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mini-Electronic-Bal...1QQcmdZViewItem

They work a treat, measure 0.1 of a gram and up to 1kg.. Its amazing how many hops fit in a gram..

Cheers

Identical scales? One is US$10.90 delivered and the other is A$13.65. Awesome. I think I just found my next scales.

I bought these scales from Multipoint Technologies.
Final cost $33.10 to my door. ($US now higher than when I purchased).
Only weighs to 200g, but only ever intended them for Hops and Yeast.
Brewing_018.JPG

Latest posts

Back