Philistine Melomel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ooooooooop

Reaction score
For those not so constrained by traditional methods, hints of prosciutto / berries etc: An uncomplicated way to make Melomel.
I have tried store bought Pomegranate, Cherry, Grape+'berries' and Prune all really good. Mandarin (store bought and home grown (much better) and home grown Brazilian Cherry (both 50:50 water and juice) had like it or hate it flavours.
Store bought juices in Coles and Woolies come in 1L glass or plastic bottles. I save the glass bottles for brewing in.

Method.
I start the Mangrove Jacks M05 yeast in a separate jar with juice and honey.
Roughly halve the juice in each bottle and on the scales weigh in 300gm of honey for each 1L bottle and give them a shake to mix in the honey.
Put the yeast in each bottle (I mix 1/2 pack of yeast for 5 litres).
Fill with juice but leave enough room for the froth.
Screw the cap on firmish but loose enough to let the Co2 out.
Wait...

Sanitation:
I figure the juice is sterile, the honey from local supplies has natural antibiotics etc and any wild yeast has not been a problem so the only thing sanitised are the bottles and caps.
I also figure the small space at the cap is under constant positive pressure so nothing can get in (I will be corrected I'm sure), but to date I have not had a failure.
Because the juices are so finely filtered, after fermentation there is only a thin layer of dead yeast that largely sticks to the bottom of the bottle. Easy to decant or increase your Vit B levels.

Subjectively at least, it has quite a kick but it could just be that it is so 'just another little one' drinkable. M05 is supposed to tolerate 17% ABV.
I have tried less and more honey. The 300gm per litre seems to have a good balance between dry and sweet. More honey gives it more body and sweetness. Otherwise they all have had a port like feel.
Cherry was the absolute favorite for everyone who tasted it, followed by Pomegranate. A couple of people commented on the potential evacuating effect of Prune but drink enough and you wont give a ...
Coles sell organic, wild picked, cold pressed pomegranate juice otherwise they are reconstituted.

I'm just reading a book on mead making.

I'd love to give this recipe a go.

Cheers

This one is simple and quick to set up. You could just use one bottle to try it out. Just take out enough juice to add 300gm of honey and room for the froth (probably only 50ml), add a sprinkle of yeast and away you go. My suggestion is to take out half the juice, add the honey and shake, add the yeast and top up with the juice you removed. I just did 9 bottles of grape/cherry and used half a pack of M05. They are all healthy and bubbling away. It takes 3 to 4 weeks for fermentation then leave it as long as you can stand it. I think my best is 2 months but only because I was overseas. If it wasn't for the abundant happy particles it produces, leaving it for 3 moths or more would likely produce more complex flavours...let me know!.
PS Apologies to Mr Philistine. I saw your post later. Consider it an homage.

Latest posts

Back