Victorian 2017 Xmas Case Swap - Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But if I read correctly, you are talking 3 beers? Friday night, then a big beer Saturday, leading into a Saison or similiar. That's a **** load of cubes. Do we know anyone that can access heaps of cubes?? ;)
Yes, that's it in a nutshell.
FWIW, the Partigyle run-off last time was only a few hundred litres, so the post-boil volume was something like 150-200L, i think. So what i'd suggest is maybe have everyone just fill 10L cubes off that one. (unless there's only a few takers for it). It also makes for a great "starter" batch for the bigger beer; and 10L is heaps for that.

I wouldn't strike saturdays brew until the morning. I would have grain in tuns, and bring strike water to boil, by the morning at strike it will still be hot only requiring a short heat up, that way we may even be cubing in daylight

The other question is batch size, there is the opportunity to brew 450- 750L, the cube list could then go out to 30 odd, also if doing a Friday brew a separate cubers list, and perhaps base batch size on list numbers.

****!

I obviously created a monster with the suggestion of a Friday night brew-session. Perhaps I took it a bridge too far (even 'though it got done). I humbly apologise to the guys that had to finish it without me.

Yes, it worked this time, but it relied on just a few dedicated hands to get it finished. I piked early at 12.30am after emptying the MLT due to a screamingly painful shoulder blade.

I reckon a nice, cruisy Saturday is the go, with a PLANNED parti-gyle batch.

What say ye Gentlemen?

my2C

the parti-gyle type of thing sounds good
a high OG and a good balanced acidity with the malt, leaving a flexible wort for each and all to manipulate at their will is my like
The winter swap here might have decoctions and or candi and or fruit - but will all be done on the Saturday, imho Friday should be for milling and pontification about the process.

Russ - if you favor the IPA style then I reckon Madhu is on the money, it can be thinned out a bit and if someone wants to cube hop, if they've got their shit together they'll be able to alter that base profile on the night

Agree. Gonna weigh in in case I make it. One of my best brews was an EBW which had a fair whack of honey in the boil. Runnings were about the 1.075 mark with honey to 1.090, with a serendipitous 2.5h boil. The second runnings could be an English bitter or similar. I love the idea of tipping a few kg of honey late in the boil, imagine the smell of that and Target.

My humble experiences at home I agree instead of 2 brews just the one. One big heavy one.
The option to top up cubes with boiling water?
Take 2 cubes. One for the heavy straight version. One for the diluted version. Alternate, maybe simpler Parti-gyle?
2c..

Yep. This swap just done, the Friday was for challenging us on the BFK and for system-proving purposes. So using the Friday as a less stressful, setup and pontification (word of the month) is a solid plan. It also allows for a successful big beer to be started Saturday morning first thing (cos them COCK-atoos will get us up) so a partigyle can be had at the later stages with less stress whilst under the influence and also worrying about pulled pork prep and swapping the beers, ay.

I also think 1 unless it's just a dogs breakfast brew on the Friday night. Why make it more stressful and busier than it needs to be. I know we seem to like challenging ourselves and making it more and more epic every time but there has to be a limit doesn't there?

I'm still favouring the IPA style, but Mardoo's higher gravity sounds good and then we can partigyle. Surely that's challenging enough? :)

Seems like the start of consensus.
1) Just a single brew day on Saturday; unless there's enough peeps with grain they want to get rid of to do a dog's breakfast brew (guessing this'll only happen every couple of years).
2) Aim for 1 big beer, followed by a second runnings beer later in the day.

Sounds good to me!

I'm still favouring the IPA style, but Mardoo's higher gravity sounds good and then we can partigyle. Surely that's challenging enough? :)
The hoppy Amber Mardoo suggested should be highly versatile.
Hoppy ambers are basically a bit like an APA, but if we embiggen it to 7-8%, it'll need a big whack of hops to offset the malts, so it should be easy to convert it to an IPA with extra cube hopping if that's what someone wanted. Similarly (with moderate cube hopping) it could be diluted down to 4-5% if you wanted a regular Amber.
Fwiw, Amber IPAs & Red IPAs (& ales even) are basically the same thing, just slight differences. So it's maybe a choice of what version of malty, toasty or caramelly Strong Ale would you prefer; and then for cube hopping the choice of moderate or super hoppy? [emoji4]

The problem with Friday nights is setting up the gear. It was fine this time because Malt Junkie and I were there the majority of the day getting everything ready. The gear was already on location and made for an easier set up. When we are doing nomadic gypsie brewing, it makes it a lot more difficult and I can't necessarily commit to having all of my gear available for a 5pm mash-in on the Friday night.

As many have suggested, gear set up on the Friday. Early mash-in on the Saturday, with a potential parti-gyle in the afternoon and then if people are keen a Saturday night brew rather than Friday night. This will allow for more people to help out with both brews and for cubing/clean up to be spread between everyone too.

I am thinking that some sort of tradition or benchmark will be created and then we will realise the next case swap is at Eagle Point...lol

I'm in & up for anything that goes down (I can't decide if I'm up or down:confused:), as long as I don't get to wear the high-Viz vest for at least another couple of these. Happy to chip-in & help-out otherwise.

Russ??

I really like the idea of the Amber IPA, so I think we will lock that in :) Now onwards towards a recipe :) Then will have to organise consumables I suppose. Who do we know that deals in large quantities for goods :)

Should we organise a recipe and jump on this grain bulk buy or is too early to order grain.

Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back