Victorian 2017 Xmas Case Swap - Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No it didn't!
It said 60!

Bahaha... Actually it's pretty good. On tap now. Could do with a bit more body, but overall I'm pretty happy with it.

e3bb5a52d7109a0aaad8517efe49245f.jpg
I'm sure I put that in a tulip .... oh yeah I did next to the same pot of spuds...sorta.

Sippin on this with the eldest son, he hates coffee, and as this is still a lil young he's sippin slowly.

I think I just pissed myself :fallingoffchair:

'Sure I've made the same mistake a few times, just not on such a monumental scale:cool:

Malt spectrum between yours and Stus is quite broad. Shall we meet somewhat halfway and employ the bittering only hop addition regime so peeps can cube hope to their liking? (Or get hop packs ordered to suit as cube hops like the last two)?
2c

OK, here's my suggestion, this is scaled for 425L:

125 kilos Simpsons Golden Promise (could also be Barrett Burston Pale) 85%
7 kilos Simpsons Amber 5%
7 kilos Wey Caramunich III 5%
7 kilos Gladfield Supernova 5%
(Percentages are rounded, but actually a couple tenths of a percent different, 85.6% and 4.8% respectively.)

Golden Promise brings a sweet background for the hops to play against. Barrett would dry it out more.
Supernova brings caramel flavours without sweetness.
Caramunich III brings darker caramel flavours with a malty punch.
Amber brings some biscuit and nuttiness, as well as emphasizing fruity flavours, again for the hops.

I'm a big fan of ambers with some fruit and caramel, or, like the Modus Operandi Red Tenant, FLAVOUR! Amber beers that are just beer that is amber give me the shits. I figure if you're going to make it amber, use the amber flavour palette. BTW, I haven't brewed this, but am planning to give it a bash soon. I have been brewing Jamil's West Coast Amber as it's in the ballpark of what I like, but it's a damn fiddly recipe.

I'd prefer to use Carabohemian instead of the Caramunich, but it isn't available in the buy this time.

Any opinions?

EDIT: Oops, 1.073 so you can dilute at fermenting or hit it hard with the Hop Stick. Should ferment well on many different yeasts.

The Amber could easily be dropped for Biscuit. You could also drop the Amber entirely and change the base malt to Maris Otter. I suggested GP as it's my fave IPA malt, or BB as it drys out well.

Edit 63: Derpa derpa derp…30 IBU's up front, rest from late hopping.

Last edited:
Of note we now have a 900L kettle to play with should we ramp out to 600L odd. Seems we always have more peeps wanting to cube than we have volume, and going by the two brews we did in July there was easily mash length to do it. (as yet not on the cubers list)

Looks good Mardoo! I was wondering if you were going to enter the discussion :)

Love the rational behind your choices too. I have so much to learn.

Yep, no reason not to go big volume if we have mash space.

If it helps get us to 600L I could bring a MT that can hold 60kg grain also. How much do Idzy's eskys hold?

Erm....do we REALLY need to continue to strive for high OG's on these Case Swap brews?

As pointed out somewhere ('can't remember - 'been drinking...), there's a lot of folks that would like to participate as cubists on these things, so we could lower the gravity & up the volume.

Husky's kettle will definitely handle the volume, so why not go a bit on the conservative side & rope-in a throng of potentially new AG brewers to help out, learn how it all works & get to know each other better?

Plus, the newbies get to do the clean-up as part of their learning curve/apprenticeship.......:cool:

I'm more than happy to do a lower og beer. We have his habit of doing massive beers and I think a nice ipa would he good for something different.

Latest posts

Back