Victorian 2017 Xmas Case Swap - Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good idea Russ, BB is a great opportunity and allows us to lock recipe early and focus on all the other things we need to sort [emoji106]

Cmon, chocolate port goes down smoother than RIS in summer, ask VP Brewing...

Ok cool, well let's nut out a recipe and then we can jump in on this bulk buy :).

I haven't done any recipes like this before so does anyone have any suggestions? I did some googling (because the search on this place is fucked) and came up with a couple of recipes, but they seemed rather basic. Knowing you guys it's not meant to be that basic ;). Or is it :).

Happy for some input at this stage and I can bigger it up :)

Just chucked this together. Obviously i haven't brewed this. So you might want to try to find one that's already been brewed.
But anyway, i'll throw this out there:

Amberlicious Amazeballs
22L
OG=1.065
FG=1.014 (for 65°C mash, 75% attenuation yeast)
EBC=24.4
IBU=66
alc=6.8%

77.5% TFMO
10% Munich 2
5% Heritage Crystal
5% Victory
2.5% Melanoiden

10g Simcoe @ FWH (12.8 IBU)
15g Chinook + 10g Simcoe @ 40mins (@ Whirlpool) (27.3 IBUs)
10g Chinook + 15g Simcoe + 10g Citra @20mins (cubed) (26 IBUs)

US-05, BRY-97, 1272, M44, M42, etc, etc.
--------------------------------------------------------

How's that sound as a starting place for the discussion?

Is the idea still to then do a second one after that? What would that look like with that recipe?

You mean a partigyle from the second running of the mash, yeah?
I'm not sure what the verdict on that was. But I'd suspect it'll just be a wait & see option. If the last run off from the mash is still kinda high, then it might be worthwhile flooding another 100+ L of sparge into it to get enough volume for a 2nd beer.
And if not, then it'll be a simpler brew day!
However, it'll probably only be 100-200L total volume into cubes at the end, and it'll probably be 3.5-4.5% alc.
We should be able to work it out on the fly if it turns out we can do it.
Because we're awesome brewers. [emoji6]
So long as we/someone brings enough provisions for it (eg: some extra hops, salts, etc).

Here is a recipe I found:

88.7% Pale Ale - US
5.9% CaraMunich II - DE
4.9% Crystal 120L - CA
0.5% Chocolate Malt - US

18.99 Magnum Pellet Boil 90 Minutes
13.89 Amarillo Pellet Boil 20 Minutes
13.89 Centennial Pellet Boil 20 Minutes
28.07 Amarillo Pellet Boil 10 Minutes
28.07 Centennial Pellet Boil 10 Minutes

3 Days Dry Hopping
- Amarillo: 50 gr
- centennial: 50 gr

KISS!

Keep the bittering to a single charge of something simple (like Magnum) & add the later hops just before cubing once it gets to about 80C (ie. no isomerisation).

If doing a parti-gyle brew with late hops, factor-in a 10% utilisation from the "spent" hops still in the kettle & adjust any further additions as required.

Have LDME on-hand to make any BU:GU adjustments.

Last swap -
[The boil has completed and burners shut off, the brewers look around for a paddle for the whirlpool]
Mofox: "Hang on, what's this bag of EKG? 300g, it has 90 mins written on it. ****."
Others: *laugher*
Mofox: "What should I do? I can't believe I missed it"
Husky: "Just chuck it in"
Me: "Throw it in man"
Techno: "I'm of a similar inclination of the others, it will have some impact on the bitterness being slightly later in the..."
Mofox: *tips hops in at whirlpool*

Edited for truth

Last edited:
No it didn't!
It said 60!

Bahaha... Actually it's pretty good. On tap now. Could do with a bit more body, but overall I'm pretty happy with it.

e3bb5a52d7109a0aaad8517efe49245f.jpg

Latest posts

Back