VICBREW 2016

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MartinOC said:
I'm kinda hoping that you've already got that same beer ready to go in a bottle & don't have to go sucking the dregs out of multiple kegs/barrels & mixing them to fill an entry... :ph34r:
You DO know who I am and what I do right? :lol:

moonhead said:
I'd be seeing if some of the other low scoring ones were marked down for being overly hoppy and alcoholic for the style! (Looking at Southern English Brown Ale @ 39, to begin with...) Wonder if there was a label mix up?
The Southern English Brown Ale that scored 39 was heavily infected, looked like it had both lactic bacteria and Brett.

Although Belgium is more or less south of England, we didn't think that had any weight.

Folks,

Scoreheets for VicBrew 2016 are now available through your CompMaster accounts. Sorry for the delay!

Andy

Committee... thanks for all your work. Volunteers... you are legends. On to the Nationals!

Heads up.. my Baltic Porter feedback sheet belongs to someone else on compmaster ??? is it possible to fix this?

Surprised that my JAO got a second over my FAR superior Bouchet (Burnt Mead) that came last in the category (maybe the judges haven't had burnt mead before?) Oh well happy with a second for the JAO.. Might contact Michael Fairbrother (Moonlight Meadery) to check his opinion since there is not much knowledge locally.. Unless someone else here has extensive knowledge???.. we have to change that!

GalBrew said:
I also recall that particular beer. Any chance you got beers mixed up?
moonhead said:
I'd be seeing if some of the other low scoring ones were marked down for being overly hoppy and alcoholic for the style! (Looking at Southern English Brown Ale @ 39, to begin with...) Wonder if there was a label mix up?
Reading the score sheet... It's definitely not my beer...

"No hops, no bitterness, watery, 0 carbonation... Almost porter in darkness." All impossible descriptors for the beer I submitted.

I counter-pressure filled (should hold carb)... plus, it was a 200+ IBU beer. I doubt any beer that bitter is going to change in the bottle to that degree.

Also, out of the 3 IIPA scoresheets, one of them is a sheet I wrote for a Robust Porter.

dannymars said:
Reading the score sheet... It's definitely not my beer...

"No hops, no bitterness, watery, 0 carbonation... Almost porter in darkness." All impossible descriptors for the beer I submitted.

I counter-pressure filled (should hold carb)... plus, it was a 200+ IBU beer. I doubt any beer that bitter is going to change in the bottle to that degree.

Also, out of the 3 IIPA scoresheets, one of them is a sheet I wrote for a Robust Porter.
That description is spot on for the beer we got back from the judges. Brown, tasteless, watery and flat. We were all confused behind the bar too if it makes you feel better.

I just noticed that my Munich Dunkel scores were added up incorrectly. This should put me second in the category and by my calculations Joint second for champion brewer! :D
If points for cider were counted I would be joint champion!

NealK said:
I just noticed that my Munich Dunkel scores were added up incorrectly. This should put me second in the category and by my calculations Joint second for champion brewer! :D
If points for cider were counted I would be joint champion!
Quite a few scoresheets have been uploaded incorrectly.....check the entry numbers to ensure they are actually your scoresheets 1st.. .. not sure if this was translated correctly in the end..?????
quite a few look to be mixed up.

How were the categories where only 2 judges present scored? numbers done add up???

The model of learning: Action - Feedback - Reflection - New Understanding

From the score-sheet comments my marzen and another beer were infected (somehow during keg to bottle transfer)... never been so happy to have an infection! at bottling stage, more careful must be I
But at least I can take comfort in the brewhouse side of things as it is tasty out of the keg. Also there were comments on oxidisation and most of the beers have been pumped from a warm conical to a keg so again, something learned there too. Excellent feedback on the whole so thanks all. Thanks Andy for getting the scoresheets posted so quickly.

The score sheets are definitely for my beer but one sheet that scored 39 was input as 30. Easy mistake to make when you see some peoples writing.

I have a mix up on a score sheet.. Entry 524, with score sheet for 545 judge ID19. Thankfully the ones that placed are all good. Thanks while at it to committee, stewards and judges.

If entrant #144 is after there pale ale comments i have it.

If someone has my barleywine comments i.e #460 i'm your man.

AndyD is on top of it.. email him your with incorrect scoresheets

Guys - I've shut them down for now - I'll spend some time on this tonight to unravel.

Grainer said:
Surprised that my JAO got a second over my FAR superior Bouchet (Burnt Mead) that came last in the category (maybe the judges haven't had burnt mead before?) Oh well happy with a second for the JAO.. Might contact Michael Fairbrother (Moonlight Meadery) to check his opinion since there is not much knowledge locally.. Unless someone else here has extensive knowledge???.. we have to change that!
Rule #5: Judging will be by blind tasting. Judges decision will be final.

Your opinion of your own creations is clearly not the same as that of the Judges. You can ask for the opinion of whoever you want, but it won't change anything.

FYI, the most experienced Judge on that category is a very experienced Mead Maker & BJCP-qualified with over 22 years of Judging experience & has an excellent palate. He told me that he was very impressed with the other judges he worked with & would happily judge with them again.

The category was Stewarded by another experienced Mead Maker (I allocated him to the job deliberately) & whilst you don't get his opinion in writing, I can assure you that he felt the same way as the Judges on your entry. That's 4 against 1. I'll go with the odds & suggest you take on-board the comments you received.

Suck it up, Princess....

MartinOC said:
Rule #5: Judging will be by blind tasting. Judges decision will be final.

Your opinion of your own creations is clearly not the same as that of the Judges. You can ask for the opinion of whoever you want, but it won't change anything.

FYI, the most experienced Judge on that category is a very experienced Mead Maker & BJCP-qualified with over 22 years of Judging experience & has an excellent palate. He told me that he was very impressed with the other judges he worked with & would happily judge with them again.

The category was Stewarded by another experienced Mead Maker (I allocated him to the job deliberately) & whilst you don't get his opinion in writing, I can assure you that he felt the same way as the Judges on your entry. That's 4 against 1. I'll go with the odds & suggest you take on-board the comments you received.

Suck it up, Princess....
Didn't have an issue with the score.. just surprised, didn't expect the result.. probably like most with an unexpected result.

Latest posts

Back