VICBREW 2020

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

MartinOC

Insert something suitably witty here
Joined
10/1/10
Messages
2,713
Reaction score
1,429
Location
The Planet Gong
Sorry, guys. It ain't gonna happen this year.

As of the committee meeting this evening via a zoom meeting, the reasons we see for cancelling VicBrew2020 are:

Unlikely to be able to run a successful competition of an appropriate standard in the presence of Covid .

High likelihood of ongoing restrictions on the size of allowed gatherings through into September (given the current number of new daily cases in Vic)

Large uncertainty about what would be possible in terms of judging. It's likely that with one bottle per entry, there'd be only one judge per entry (less than desirable).

Even if we asked for 2 or 3 bottles per entry, the logistics of distributed judging would be complex and time-consuming for all involved.

Able to avoid upfront costs of trophies if we cancel now as they haven't yet been ordered .

Uncertainty about sponsorship given the cost pressures on many of our sponsors

Cancelling now avoids the problems of 'unscrambling of the egg' as to date we only have two entrants on CompMaster. In the interim until a final decision is made (this Friday), we have turned off the ability for new entries to be registered on the CompMaster site.

Vic will also withdraw its offer to run AABC2020. A couple of other states have already offered to host if Vic can't.

We regret disappointing Victorian brewers but hope that you understand the problems faced by the organising committee.

We look forward to running the competition in 2021 with a significant contribution of new blood into the committee!
 

Barry

To thine own self brew
Joined
7/12/02
Messages
1,175
Reaction score
74
Sorry, guys. It ain't gonna happen this year.

As of the committee meeting this evening via a zoom meeting, the reasons we see for cancelling VicBrew2020 are:

Unlikely to be able to run a successful competition of an appropriate standard in the presence of Covid .

High likelihood of ongoing restrictions on the size of allowed gatherings through into September (given the current number of new daily cases in Vic)

Large uncertainty about what would be possible in terms of judging. It's likely that with one bottle per entry, there'd be only one judge per entry (less than desirable).

Even if we asked for 2 or 3 bottles per entry, the logistics of distributed judging would be complex and time-consuming for all involved.

Able to avoid upfront costs of trophies if we cancel now as they haven't yet been ordered .

Uncertainty about sponsorship given the cost pressures on many of our sponsors

Cancelling now avoids the problems of 'unscrambling of the egg' as to date we only have two entrants on CompMaster. In the interim until a final decision is made (this Friday), we have turned off the ability for new entries to be registered on the CompMaster site.

Vic will also withdraw its offer to run AABC2020. A couple of other states have already offered to host if Vic can't.

We regret disappointing Victorian brewers but hope that you understand the problems faced by the organising committee.

We look forward to running the competition in 2021 with a significant contribution of new blood into the committee!
Thanks Martin, facing similar problems.
 

pbaggoley

Well-Known Member
Joined
6/1/09
Messages
201
Reaction score
65
Brew safe, Victorian friends.

With any luck we'll be down for ANHC and the AABC next year.
 

Latest posts

Top