VICBREW 2016

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andyd said:
Guys - I've shut them down for now - I'll spend some time on this tonight to unravel.
Thanks dude.. we all realise the HUGE effort you go to to do this.. Thanks

NealK said:
I just noticed that my Munich Dunkel scores were added up incorrectly. This should put me second in the category and by my calculations Joint second for champion brewer! :D
If points for cider were counted I would be joint champion!
Congratulations if this is the case.. Great work!

Folks - found the problem - a couple of calibration beer had snuck through the scanner on the day.

I'll adjust and re-publish once I get home tonight.

Andy

NealK said:
I just noticed that my Munich Dunkel scores were added up incorrectly. This should put me second in the category and by my calculations Joint second for champion brewer! :D
If points for cider were counted I would be joint champion!
oops, bad sums on my part, third place I think. Bloody happy with that though!

OK all,

Scoresheets are back, and all linked correctly (Phew - that drained a bit of bandwidth :) )

Let me know if you have any hassles, but I think it's right now.

Andy

Whereabouts on compmaster are the score sheets located? I can't seem to find them.

edit: just worked it out.

My Account -> My Results...

The sorting's a bit messed up, but this comp should be at the top of the list.

Andy

Grainer said:
Didn't have an issue with the score.. just surprised, didn't expect the result.. probably like most with an unexpected result.
How in hell could you POSSIBLY be surprised?!?!

You entered a Bouchet (which fits into "other mead") as a "sweet mead". It's obviously outside the guidelines for that style, so it got appropriately hammered.

I'm guessing you couldn't enter two "others" (thus breaking the rules) & decided to take a punt. Nice try - fail...the judges on the day got the better of you.

Its not an other mead! get your shit straight .. it is just honey and water dude ..serious..it was a sweet mead. all it has is a cook involved..no other ingredients that would qualify it as an other.. OMG you so gotta pull your head in and stop throwing out outrageous accusations.

Settle down gentlemen.

Bouchet is specifically referred to in 2015 bjcp guidelines as belonging to 'historical mead' a subsection of specialty mead.

Not sure about aabc because I've only ever judged mead once as part of beerfest but most aabc cues are driven by bjcp.

Just checked aabc and while it doesn't mention bouchet in the section, historical meads fit into 'other mead'

If that is the case happy to get stripped of the 2nd place ! I really don't care.. I entered into the category I thought it belonged! Bouchet or the style is not mentioned anywhere and from all I searched on the web no one knew which category it belonged. Leave it to Vicbrew and I will probably not send to nationals cause of this so called accusation. happy to hand over to someone else.

M4B. Historical Mead

[SIZE=9pt]A [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]Historical Mead [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]is a historical or indigenous mead that doesn’t fit into another subcategory (e.g., Ethiopian tej, Polish meads). The BJCP welcomes submissions of writeups of historical or indigenous styles that fit into this category. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Overall Impression: [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]This mead should exhibit the character of all of the ingredients in varying degrees, and should show a good blending or balance between the various flavor elements. Whatever ingredients are included, the result should be identifiable as a honey-based fermented beverage. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]​[/SIZE]Bouchet[SIZE=9pt] does [/SIZE]not Qualify for Historical mead given this statement. Bouchet does not have an identifiable honey base or other ingredients that would require it to be balanced. It really doesnt naturally fit anywhere under the mead judging guidelines but clearly fits under sweet mead in the Beer BJCP.

​The accusation was that I tried to cheat by entering 2 x other meads.. one in an other category being a JAO and a bochet which is just honey and water and would qualify as a sweet mead given the BJCP guidelines.

No. Martin suggested you couldn't enter a second 'other' mead (presumably you already had one in because Jao is other?) so entered (perfectly legitimately) your bouchet in another style. Two per category, 1 per style is the rule - you obeyed that, no cheating, no accusation. I've entered stuff that may or may not fit perfectly before - perfectly acceptable. No suggestion you've done otherwise - just a suggestion you may have been aware it didn't fit (which breaches no rules) but entered anyway

Chill.

As for guidelines - check 2015 bjcp and search 'bouchet'

QUOTE : "I'm guessing you couldn't enter two "others" (thus breaking the rules) & decided to take a punt. Nice try - fail...the judges on the day got the better of you."

So the clear accusation that was made is that I was trying to cheat the system.. hence why I am pissed off at Martin for being an absolute tool in the accusation. It is totally uncalled for.

manticle tried to search 2015.. but didn't get anywhere any assistance would be good for what you are trying to point me to.

I think you've misinterpreted what martin meant.
Reread.

Martin's suggestion, to my interpretation is -

IF you had entered two in other, you would have been breaking rules, likely disqualified and so INSTEAD you entered one in a category that the entry didn't properly fit.

Having trouble copy/paste from pdf on my phone but if you google bjcp 2015 mead, you should get a link to a pdf of guidelines. Section m4b specifically mentions bouchet. If you can't find it, let me know tomorrow and I'll copy/paste from work pc.

Latest posts

Back