Vicbrew 2010

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might see if I can get my APA in before the deadline.

I can see the closing date for entries is tomorrow... Would they accept entries if I dropped it off at my lhbs first thing tomorrow?

I might see if I can get my APA in before the deadline.

I can see the closing date for entries is tomorrow... Would they accept entries if I dropped it off at my lhbs first thing tomorrow?

Yes mate... it is usually a case of close of play or 12pm at the lhbs - so get your arse down there in the morning - I will be doing the same.

I dropped mine off last year at G&G on the last day (Sat?), wasn't a problem

I'm just not sure what to do ?

My plan was 1xESB, 2xAIPA, 1xAPA all filled from keg with CPBF. My problem is my "carbonation" fridge is under carbed (I was trying a new way to do it). My kegerartor is overcarbed (long story but moving things around a buggered up) so I am not too sure if I can get them in a state that is fine (as in my feeling it's fine not judges :)) by Satdy morning.

I have 1 AIPA and 1 APA that are being conditioned in the bottle (but only been in 3 days) so not too sure if I put them in and hope they keep them in a "warm" area.

I don't mind getting bad scores but I don't want to get them for under or overcarbed, I would prefer them for not to style, malt too low, cloudy, crap :) etc..

The other issue is I have a ticket for the game tonight (corporate box :icon_drunk: ) so I might not be in the appropriate state till use a CPBF on satdy morning :)

Yes mate... it is usually a case of close of play or 12pm at the lhbs - so get your arse down there in the morning - I will be doing the same.

Ahh sweet. Hopefully it tastes alright. I basically had a bit left over after I filled the keg, so I filled two bottles and dropped two carb drops in each. 2 bottles, so I'll bring one to the next club meeting and enter the other in the comp. It tastes great out of the keg, I just hope the bottle conditioning doesn't alter the flavour too much

Are you allowed to put labels on them?

The labels might be the only redeeming feature of my entry.

Are you allowed to put labels on them?

The labels might be the only redeeming feature of my entry.

up to you - will make no difference to the judges as it will be decanted into a jug - they will never see the bottle.

up to you - will make no difference to the judges as it will be decanted into a jug - they will never see the bottle.
It might be amusing for the stewards however, pouring beer all day can get a bit boring. ;)

Do you think it would be inappropiate to put a label saying "Attention Steward; this is a specialty beer & there is notes that the judges need to read, please ensure this occurs, thank you" ?

Or am I being paranoid?

looks like you just wrote yourself onto the stewards list for both days! :p
The score-sheets require more than a simple "Is beer, is good" or "Ewwww infected" tick-a-box-option, so I'm happy to leave the judging to the beer nerds those with bjcb qualifications.

Do you think it would be inappropiate to put a label saying "Attention Steward; this is a specialty beer & there is notes that the judges need to read, please ensure this occurs, thank you" ?

Or am I being paranoid?

Paranoid? I doubt it. Good bet would be to come down and steward or judge yourself. That will at least give you the insight into a competition and how its run.
Not much is ever gained sitting on the fence having a dip. Get involved!

Paranoid? I doubt it. Good bet would be to come down and steward or judge yourself. That will at least give you the insight into a competition and how its run.
Not much is ever gained sitting on the fence having a dip. Get involved!

Judged Category 4. Amber & Dark Lagers last year.

I couldn't get my keg carbing issues sorted in time so I put 3 bottles in, ESB, APA, AIPA, they have been in the bottle a week so hopefully they will be conditioned enough when judging happens. I had them in grolsch bottles not tallies as I was planing on CPBF

Got 3 in but 1 of them I only bottled today, it wont need much carbing but conditioning wise I think it'll fair a bit better next year, well see.

oh the joys of bottling 2 bottles of dunkelweizen the morning of delivery! :p Funny thing was as i keg, i bottled and capped forgetting to pop the priming sugar in! :rolleyes: so off the caps went, priming sugar in then resealed and sent off for delivery.

for those who attended the case swap, the sole bottle i have of the AIPA i put in has been put into VICBREW on a last ditched whim. if it places i'll be in all sorts of trouble to get my currently fermenting AIPA in. hopefully its ready in time. :icon_cheers:

Hard to tell from the website, but is the day itself open to the public, or just judges/stewards?

Definitely interested in coming along for one of the days (assuming I can shake off the 3 extras).

Didn't get my entries in :(

Oh well, always next time!

Back