Vicbrew 2010

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a stout and porter to enter, just for feedback really but it doesn't hurt to try your luck!

no Belgian Dark Strong section?

I think our comp is later than all the others so that's why there hasn't been much talk.

Got a few I plan on entering. Definately an IPA & Saison.

15. Belgian Strong Ale >6%ABV
15.5 Belgian Dark Strong Ale

Not included on the entry form Brenos.

Can we still enter it if its not down within the styles listed?

Kleiny

Not included on the entry form Brenos.

Can we still enter it if its not down within the styles listed?

Kleiny
Special K, I don't think so mate. try an email to the comp organiser or go the Golden, and if they knock you down on colour, claim it was discrimination :ph34r:

Special K, I don't think so mate. try an email to the comp organiser or go the Golden, and if they knock you down on colour, claim it was discrimination :ph34r:

specialty category and refer them to the category in the AABC guidelines. ;)

specialty category and refer them to the category in the AABC guidelines. ;)
even the specialty cat is pretty restricted. WFT am I supposed to enter a Rye IIPA, or a black cascadian ipa with Rye, or a Rye Pils, or a Rye porter? SERIOUSLY, this is grain discrimination, and I want restitution.... or at least the option of entering any of my beer. they use to have cat 18 other....my fav... no so anymore.

"Vicbrew uses the AABC styleguidelines. Minor changes have been made for 2010. The guidlines are also available on the AABC website."

So I stupidly assumed if it's listed in the AABC Style Guidelines then it was eligible for entry at Vicbrew.
I remember last year a rather healthy, slightly heated debate about "Other Specialty" There goes at least one entry:(

OK, **** this, no Belgian specialty either! Ok, Ok I was the only one who entered something as that but what's the go Vicbrew?

For the record a Belgian Strong Dark Ale got 1st and 3rd last year, bet those guys might be a bit upset.

Just looked back, the one that got first was also CHAMPION BEER OF SHOW! and they get rid of it???

Yeah... and no Mead, Braggot or Cider categories.

Maybe I enter my Braggot as "Other Specialty and claim it as a "Strong Honeyed Ale" ?

Seriously !?!

Holy crap. Didn't realise this.

Just brewed my best Golden Strong ever too. And bloody strong - around 9%ABV.
Have been crafting away at this style ever since I found the stats in Brew like a monk to make it like the real deal.
Really like Duvel as a drop.

Bizarre move. I will have to consult the fine print and see if there is a way of weedling it in.

Otherwise it might have to just be a sub-standard Aussie Pale and Euro Lager from me. :(

Hopper.

Holy crap. Didn't realise this.

Just brewed my best Golden Strong ever too. And bloody strong - around 9%ABV.
Have been crafting away at this style ever since I found the stats in Brew like a monk to make it like the real deal.
Really like Duvel as a drop.

Bizarre move. I will have to consult the fine print and see if there is a way of weedling it in.

Otherwise it might have to just be a sub-standard Aussie Pale and Euro Lager from me. :(

Hopper.
I believe Golden Strong is still there.

edit:
looking at the vicbrew site, the link to the styles for vicbrew is the aabc 2010 styles, and includes more than what is indicated on the vicbrew entry form style list. I would say that given this, the organizers need to allow for this, and open it up. On the bright side for me, 18.7 lives on!!!!!

Seems strange that the organisation established to promote amateur brewers, is limiting what they can enter...fair enought limit the number of categories, but fairs fair and they should have an "open" category?

I have just contacted VICBREW via email and i would urge you all to do the same.

Surely somebody on this forum has something to do with the setup and running of this competition.

If so, my question is simply how do i give my Belgian Dark Strong the opportunity to advance within the category to the AABC if it can not be judged within a prerequisite competition? :huh:

Transcript of email:

Hi Vicbrew

Myself and others are wondering if entry's in VICBREW2010 are limited to
those styles specified on the entry form. As you would be aware there are
many more styles within the AABC guidelines.

For example i wish to enter a Belgian Dark Strong 15.5 but it does not
appear on the entry form. What Category should i enter this under? There is
neither a place to fit it in a Belgian specialty category.

Could you please respond to this email as myself and others are in disbelief
that we can not enter our finest beers within the categories they are
intended.

Thank you
Travis Klein

No joke, I just opened up the Vicbrew website to see if there was a contact email. But you've already done it. Probably no need to have multiple people email them, remembering Vicbrew is run by people with regular day jobs and what not.

I've noticed on the entry form that Berliner Weiss, Lambic & Gueuze have also been culled from 17 Farmhouse Ale & Wild Beer.

I would assume that the qualifying state comp for the AABC should have every AABC style judged regardless of how few entries there are for that style.

Guys,

I've been in touch with VicBrew this afternoon. This appears to have been a formatting error on Vicbrew's part. There will be an updated form available later tonight.

Mark has told me that all AABC styles should be included for Vicbrew.

VicBrew has apologized for any inconvenience (or indeed apprehension :) ) caused.

Cheers

Andy

(P.S. By way of disclosure, I should point out that as President of Melbourne Brewers I am in fact a part of VicBrew, but haven't had anything to do with the competition to date as I've been away).

Sorry guys - we stuff-up the formatting on the back of the entry form. All the AABC2010 styles will be accepted by VicBrew. This includes all the missing ones:
15.4 Dubbel
15.5 Belgian Dark Strong Ale
16.3 Weizenbock
16.4 Roggenbier
17.6 Berliner Weisse
17.7 Straight (unblended) Lambic
17.8 Gueze
17.9 Fruit Lambic
18.5 Belgian Specialty Ale
18.6 Wood-aged beer
18.7 Other Specialty

We'll fix up the form tonight and post the new one.

Cheers, Mark Hibberd (an occasional lurker)

Thanks Mark and Andy

That clears it up.

:D

Latest posts

Back