Vicbrew 2010

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might try something different this time and try a non-infected (maybe under pitched on yeast (not healthy yeast), wrong temp) :( But it's good for some feed back.

I'm a greenhorn who will be entering a comp for the first time with a Rye IPA. I'm guessing this goes into 18.7 "other specialty" given the Rye content (1kg). What do I need to do for bottle cap ID, both on the form and the bottle?

well my entries and all prepped and ready for delivery except for the barleywine, still to decide if a fresh tallie or two 330ml bottles are in order.

7 categories is a good enough spread. i might extend it to 8 if i manage to keg my specialty beer. Although ive been put off since my last specialty was judged incorrectly (name of style was not read out to judges :()

You mean your speciality at last years Vicbrew was judged incorrectly? Because I also entered two speciality beers & got notes back that the information didn't get passed on to judges both from Vicbrew organisers & on the actual score sheets. Hope this is rectfied this year.

I'm a greenhorn who will be entering a comp for the first time with a Rye IPA. I'm guessing this goes into 18.7 "other specialty" given the Rye content (1kg). What do I need to do for bottle cap ID, both on the form and the bottle?

Hi Sam,
The cap id is used by the organisers to allocate your beer, i.e its given a number under what category you have listed. When the judges are presented with your beer they will be told entry # 999 Rye IPA, back in the organisers database entry 999 belongs to Sam.

Cap ID should read "for office use only"

and Good Luck Sam.

As long as they both match it should be fine. RIPA would make sense but incase your paranoid put maybe RA & the last two digits of your birth year. The reason for this is that there may be more than one person entering a Rye IPA:)

You mean your speciality at last years Vicbrew was judged incorrectly? Because I also entered two speciality beers & got notes back that the information didn't get passed on to judges both from Vicbrew organisers & on the actual score sheets. Hope this is rectfied this year.

I wasnt privy to the specialties table last year, a super judge and a couple of good ones, an astute steward as well.
Some information that is supplied i.e A4 sheets with these beers are a running brewlog of that beer, what is the worth of that to the judges? If I wanted to do a triple decoction blackberry trappist ale where i fermented th blackberries in wild yeast and on and on and on etc. TODAY, ladies and gentelman it is a blackberry trappist ale ONLY.

Well I just bottled mine. A doppelbock and dark strong Belgian. Couldn't find my usual hose that I bottle beers from keg with and had to improvise one. Sanitised it and the tap nozzle as well as I could and bottled in the process of spilling about half a keg everywhere. Capped on foam with about 1cm or less of head space. I'm guessing I lost a bit of carbonation and had a bit of bubling filling so my hopes aren't high. Its a real shame that they will turn out worse in glass than they do here after all the work so if they get judged down due to carbonation or any other reason where my dodgey bottling is a factor I wont be too upset.

I didn't have any tallies left but had 500ml bottles that they say are still good enough to submit. Of to Dave's they go tomorrow.

The cap id is used by the organisers to allocate your beer, i.e its given a number under what category you have listed. When the judges are presented with your beer they will be told entry # 999 Rye IPA, back in the organisers database entry 999 belongs to Sam.

Cap ID should read "for office use only"

As long as they both match it should be fine. RIPA would make sense but incase your paranoid put maybe RA & the last two digits of your birth year. The reason for this is that there may be more than one person entering a Rye IPA:)

OK, now I'm confused... :blink:

Must say, so am I...I understand that it has to be a unique number...but who puts it on there???

Kegged/bottled my Australian Lager today, will be putting in at least 4 entries.

Where/when are the other Berwick peeps submitting there brews?

yep, a hazelnut brown ale got judged as a 'chocolate beer'. a waste of an entry IMO.

I dont know the full details and honestly i dont care anymore. it shouldnt happen and there was some obvious serious communication breakdown between the head steward, registrar and the steward for the flight. why it wasnt questioned for so many beers i dont know. lets just hope it doesnt happen again like we have been promised. :icon_cheers:

OK, now I'm confused... :blink:

I sent an email in last month with the same question in regards to the bottle cap ID field, here was the answer;

"This field is optional. Alot of brewers write batch-numbers on bottle caps. Using it adds another check in case entry-form becomes detached from a bottle but feel free to ignore this field (most brewers do). "

Good Luck wakkatoo, if anything as close to "Black Betty" I am sure the judges will enjoy :icon_cheers:

:icon_offtopic:
Thanks Haysie, glad you enjoyed it. Didn't get to enter black betty into Vicbrew - gave it all away to blokes (and girl) I didn't even know :icon_cheers: . Its on the cards to do another one sometime soon.

I wasnt privy to the specialties table last year, a super judge and a couple of good ones, an astute steward as well.
Some information that is supplied i.e A4 sheets with these beers are a running brewlog of that beer, what is the worth of that to the judges? If I wanted to do a triple decoction blackberry trappist ale where i fermented th blackberries in wild yeast and on and on and on etc. TODAY, ladies and gentelman it is a blackberry trappist ale ONLY.

From the Guidelines;

"The judges must understand the brewers intent in order to properly judge an entry in this category. THE
BREWER MUST SPECIFY EITHER THE BEER BEING CLONED, THE NEW STYLE BEING PRODUCED
OR THE SPECIAL INGREDIENTS OR PROCESSES USED. Additional background information on the style
and/or beer may be provided to judges to assist in the judging, including style parameters or detailed descriptions
of the beer. Beers fitting other Belgian categories should not be entered in this category."

So I entered a Belgian IPA with the notes reading "A dry-hopped Belgian IPA influenced by Belgian styled IPAs from American craft brewers."

As a result of the notes not getting to the judges it was marked down and suggested that it should have been enterted as a Saison.

As an aside, if I used Brettanomyces in a blackberry trappist ale I'd definately want the judges to know that the Brettanomyces was intended.

The form is seriously flawed and should be rectified immediately.
there isnt a field to add info for specialty beers.
the bottle cap issue causes confusion.
etc

as this is a paid, formal comp it should be run properly.

PS 6 entries, 2 specialty. couldnt be bothered cpbf 2 more entries.

PS 6 entries, 2 specialty. couldnt be bothered cpbf 2 more entries.
C'mon CM2, get them in. Their specialty, you can always add to the descriptor that these are intentionally undercarbed, and as such, just bottle right from the tap. They would be hard pressed given this is part of the prep routine that is intended, to makrk you down.... Oh wait, that assumes that the judges get that info...

enter em anyway mate, have a go.

C'mon CM2, get them in. Their specialty, you can always add to the descriptor that these are intentionally undercarbed, and as such, just bottle right from the tap. They would be hard pressed given this is part of the prep routine that is intended, to makrk you down.... Oh wait, that assumes that the judges get that info...

enter em anyway mate, have a go.
the specialties are in. its 6 entries incl specialty. i cbf putting in another 2 normal beers. I probably should though.

must get my skates on and lodge my judging form.

Folks
I'm hoping to enter some beers (my first ever comp) but the payment process is unclear to my newbie eyes. The entry form reads something like "$10 for first bottle, $6 per bottle thereafter (cheques payable to VICBREW". Can someone clarify me; does this mean cheques are the only form of payment for entry or can a cash payment be made at the drop off point.
Thanks

Folks
I'm hoping to enter some beers (my first ever comp) but the payment process is unclear to my newbie eyes. The entry form reads something like "$10 for first bottle, $6 per bottle thereafter (cheques payable to VICBREW". Can someone clarify me; does this mean cheques are the only form of payment for entry or can a cash payment be made at the drop off point.
Thanks
the actual entry form says cheques or cash. pay by either and just attached the envelope to one of your entries and clearly label the envelope.

Back