Vicbrew 2010

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard to tell from the website, but is the day itself open to the public, or just judges/stewards?

Definitely interested in coming along for one of the days (assuming I can shake off the 3 extras).

Just throw your hand up to help out warmy and i think they will let you in.

Hard to tell from the website, but is the day itself open to the public, or just judges/stewards?

Definitely interested in coming along for one of the days (assuming I can shake off the 3 extras).

Why not just steward? I hope they don't let people who weren't judging, stewarding or organising the comp upstairs.
Last year I judged one of the larger catergories & it was pretty annoying having people standing around 3 metres away talking & drinking beer towards the end of the day.

Why not just steward? I hope they don't let people who weren't judging, stewarding or organising the comp upstairs.
Last year I judged one of the larger catergories & it was pretty annoying having people standing around 3 metres away talking & drinking beer towards the end of the day.
Fair enough, too.

Wasn't sure of the format of the event, but I can understand you dont want to open up the doors to the riff-raff :)

Will look into stewarding if I can get a day pass.

Do you think it would be inappropiate to put a label saying "Attention Steward; this is a specialty beer & there is notes that the judges need to read, please ensure this occurs, thank you" ?
I've been known to enjoy weird-ass beer, so I sent an email to Truck (Mark the organizer) and offered to Steward for the specialty beers category.
So if additional notes have been supplied in a readable/legible format and I have access to them, I'll do my best to provide that info to the judges, what happens after that is out of my hands. :)

If you get a leave-pass, come and help instead, you can pour beer and keep records, so no reason you can't steward.
Didn't get my entries in :(

Oh well, always next time!
I don't think I got any speeding tickets getting there, but did manage to get to G&G about 15mins before they closed (and they had stacks of comp-beer in crates behind the counter), had I known, could have dropped yours off too.

I don't think I got any speeding tickets getting there, but did manage to get to G&G about 15mins before they closed (and they had stacks of comp-beer in crates behind the counter), had I known, could have dropped yours off too.

Not to worry mate, I remembered around 4pm, and hadn't started bottling lol...would've made you miss them too...

Just a quick bump to request that anyone interested in helping out with VicBrew to email Mark ([email protected]) sooner than later. They've had a good response, but some more people assisting is always good, you don't need to know or do anything special, all help is most welcome. It's also a great chance to see how a competition is run and most likely improve your own entries in the future.

If you can pour beer into a jug and keep records, there is no reason you can't volunteer to help as a steward. If you don't want to do that, they probably need people to help organize things on the day (collate entries, data entry etc).

When: 2nd and 3rd October 2010
Where: Belgian Beer Cafe Eureka, 5 Riverside Quay, Southbank
What: Help with VicBrew, Free lunch ... and most likely a chance to sample some great beer and expand your beer knowledge
How: Email Mark [email protected] as per the information below.

Hi all,

This is a call for JUDGES and STEWARDS for VicBrew, the Victorian Amateur Brewing Championship, which will be held on the first weekend in October 2nd and 3rd October 2010 at Belgian Beer Cafe Eureka, 5 Riverside Quay, Southbank Melbourne, Melway 2F E7

The competition is BJCP registered (but all judges are welcome, not just BJCP judges).

Can you please email Mark Hibberd ([email protected]) if you are available to judge and, if so, which category/ies you would prefer to judge and those that you would rather not judge, and/or if you're available to steward. And also whether you are available for the morning or afternoon sessions or both. We will use this information to draw up the judging schedule but cannot guarantee that we will be able to meet everyone's preferences. We hope that most judges will be available for several sessions, but the need for this will depend on the response. We will not assign judges to categories in which they have an entry - we will check against the registration database so you don't need to provide this information now.

The categories are: Low Alcohol (<4% Abv), Pale Lager, Pilsener, Amber & Dark Lager, Strong Lager (>6% Abv), Pale Ale, American Pale Ale , Bitter Ale, Brown Ale, Porter, Stout, Strong Stout (>6% Abv) , India Pale Ale , Strong Ale (>6% Abv), Belgian Strong Ale (>6% Abv), German Wheat & Rye Beer, Farmhouse Ale & Wild Beer, Specialty Beer.
There is a full list of categories and styles on the back of the entry form and at www.vicbrew.org under the VicBrew tab on the left-hand side of the page.

The days on which each category is judged will depend on the number of entries and judge availability.
Starting times for the sessions are expected to be:
Morning session (9.30 am start):
Afternoon session (1 pm start):
Lunch will be provided for all judges and stewards.

Please respond with the following information:

AVAILABLE SATURDAY 2nd MORNING SESSION: YES/NO
AVAILABLE SATURDAY 2nd AFTERNOON SESSION: YES/NO
AVAILABLE SUNDAY 3rd MORNING SESSION: YES/NO
AVAILABLE SUNDAY 3rd AFTERNOON SESSION: YES/NO
JUDGING EXPERIENCE, COMPETITIONS JUDGED AT: 0 / 1 / 2-4 / 5-10 / >10.
BJCP ID#:
AVAILABLE TO JUDGE: YES/NO
AVAILABLE TO STEWARD: YES/NO
PREFER TO JUDGE CATEGORIES:
PREFER NOT TO JUDGE CATEGORIES:
CONTACT PHONE NUMBER:

Thanks for your assistance,

Mark Hibberd
on behalf of the VicBrew2010 organising committee
[email protected]

By the way, who gets all the bottles after the comp is over? :p lucky bugger whoever it is (speaking as a non-keg user)

By the way, who gets all the bottles after the comp is over? :p lucky bugger whoever it is (speaking as a non-keg user)

I couldn't edit my post above, but the couple of comps I've been involved the bottles were offered first to the helpers to see if anyone wanted them. More reason for you (or anyone else) to come and help out. ;)

When
: 2nd and 3rd October 2010
What: Help with VicBrew, Free lunch ... most likely a chance to sample some great beer and expand your beer knowledge and the chance to pickup some empty beer bottles.

I took home around 20 bottles last year, all of them have been recycled back into comps. :D

I think i'll do the same again this year although i wont be stumbling into flora for a curry afterwards with two cases of empty longnecks again. i got a few looks of :blink:

Infact i felt right at home on flinders st!

I couldn't edit my post above, but the couple of comps I've been involved the bottles were offered first to the helpers to see if anyone wanted them. More reason for you (or anyone else) to come and help out. ;)

When
: 2nd and 3rd October 2010
What: Help with VicBrew, Free lunch ... most likely a chance to sample some great beer and expand your beer knowledge and the chance to pickup some empty beer bottles.

I emailed last week and haven't heard anything yet. Should i email again?

I emailed last week and haven't heard anything yet. Should i email again?

I'm sure it is under control - they are probably working through the schedule after assessing who has entered what so as to avoid putting people into categories that they are entered into.

I expect that there will be some news shortly...

I haven't heard back from mark yet about whether I'm needed or not. If they want more help then they should probay contact those that have contacted them

I haven't heard back from mark yet about whether I'm needed or not. If they want more help then they should probay contact those that have contacted them

i'll turn up on the day anyway. i'm sure they will be always looking for help, its not like ive given up the first round of cricket or anything for the event. :rolleyes:

Last year they sent out the info the weekend before the comp. So if they do that again it will be this weekend.

I'd be pretty certain that if you said your available for judging and/or stewarding then they wouldn't say your not needed.

Yep, as already mentioned, they need to ensure that they do not allocate judges/stewards to categories which they have entered. Given the cutoff for entries was only last weekend, fair enough that it takes a bit of time to allocate for the best possible fit.

Great to see there is keen interest in helping out on the day!

Phew! Was quite the Saturday morning.

- Filled in my forms
- Did my beer labels
- Purchased my rubber bands
- Put cash in envelope
- Put numbers on bottle caps
- Stopped and realised I have to fill out two forms 'cos one entry was in two stubbies
- Wiped my brow when I completed all the red tape
- Strapped on lucky undies

3 entries are in and it only took 2 hours and a trip to the LHBS.

Oh well till next year! Fingers crossed, and may your brew take out top gong (unless its in my categories ;) )

Cheers,

Hopper.

Oh well till next year! Fingers crossed, and may your brew take out top gong (unless its in my categories)

I performed what we call in the industry a 'ChrisTaylor'. ;)

Im sure you can work it out!

bombers_b52_0008.jpg

Latest posts

Back