Vic Xmas Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris - while i think of it. regarding the CO2 keg charger - this does take a threaded CO2 bulk. so its all good. no need to check yours. wish i had of checked that before the swap!

Yeah, I've got one as well. The little gas bottle that came with it, did not have a thread, but all the refills that i got, do have a thread, and they work fine.

Hey all,
Sounds like everyone had a good night!
4*, when's good to grab the swap beers off you?
Dingo

I was thinking of dropping them all off at Fents this thursday after cricket or something? any other time convenient?

Great swap guys ... many great beers, lots of laughs ... think Mr Polly is in serious contention for chief trouble maker Fents

CM2 went for a "powernap" that lasted all night

Fourstar was wasted early

manticle looked like he was going to follow then got a second wind

And whoever gave me that Dubbel with the "issue" I have to say that was the highlight for me beerwise on the night ( and yes I know it was not intentional ). Klieny's beers where not far behind.

Sorry CM2 took the whole day recovering yesterday, glad to here you worked out the CO2 dispenser. While I think of it Klieny is going to take your dim sim cooker to the next BJCP session. Also don't take my hops to the Melb Brewers meeting cause I may not be able to make it. I will drop around some time and pick them up.

Big thanks to Mrs Klieny and the little Klieny's for putting up with us.

manticle looked like he was going to follow then got a second wind

I often get second, third and even fourth winds. Usually sprinting and eating are the two things that pick me up. I did both.

Your 'golden/tripel that didn't do so well in the comps' was actually one of my beer highlights. Kleiny's Janet was also a winner.

CM2 went for a "powernap" that lasted all night
Ha, thats an understatement! I was wondering where he ran off too.
Next thing i know im peering in at him thru the foggy windows of the shortbus sleeping like a baby!

Fourstar was wasted early

Problem with that was SWMBO notes i some how only crawled into bed at around 4:30! :blink:

Now i haven concerns that:
A. The cabbie who 'saved my life' did something suss with me.
B. I took an extended nap on the bus stop.
C. I took an extended nap on the sofa when i was getting undressed and SWMBO didnt hear me stumble in. (No, not in the cabbies house either) :p

Problem with that was SWMBO notes i some how only crawled into bed at around 4:30! :blink:

Now i haven concerns that:
A. The cabbie who 'saved my life' did something suss with me.
B. I took an extended nap on the bus stop.
C. I took an extended nap on the sofa when i was getting undressed and SWMBO didnt hear me stumble in. (No, not in the cabbies house either) :p
D. SWMBO may have woke me up from the above said couch when she came back into the room after going to the swap to pick me up, and ended up having a good ol time with the boys still going until the wee hours.

I'd say it may have been D, but deny everything

Fortunatly i aint Gava and SWMBO doesn't have her licence! :p Atleast i didnt miss the Crackling!
She rocked up in a cab, and sent the cabbie off to pick up some poor passed-out dude at a bus stop...

But yeah, that Crackling was good!

Fortunatly i aint Gava and SWMBO doesn't have her licence! :p Atleast i didnt miss the Crackling!

Oh yes Im happy she doesn't drink! :) my guts was full of about a bazillion different beers.. then i got given and Extra Dry at the inlaws... :icon_vomit:

And whoever gave me that Dubbel with the "issue" I have to say that was the highlight for me beerwise on the night ( and yes I know it was not intentional ).
To paraphrase Hanlon's razor: "Never attribute to capability that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"

Glad you liked it, even though yes, it was a mistake of a beer.

Thanks for some great beers on the night, you've got my beer planning brain going into overdrive: "mmm... doppelbock, mmm... russian imperial stout"

Out of interest, did anyone take a FG reading for the wort? I can always take mine again upon pitching the yeast but I think i did one with the refrac and performed some 'balancing' but i was unsure of 1.057 or 14~ plato or sounded correct?

I think i vaguely remember Maple saying something about beign 10 points above expected FG?!

Anyway, ive decided to ferment mine on 1272. Yes, American Ale II. Im going to be using it on the Black IPA and RyePA so i might as well do a 2nd repitch or top crop it onto the sweet TTL wort. Should be an interesting outcome.

With the leftover 3 kg of Golden Promise i'll probabaly whip out another one of these single grain beauties. This time with 100% Styrian. Do a little hop cleanout ;)

Out of interest, did anyone take a FG reading for the wort? I can always take mine again upon pitching the yeast but I think i did one with the refrac and performed some 'balancing' but i was unsure of 1.057 or 14~ plato or sounded correct?
I recall those numbers being bandied around just prior to the boil. I was going to take a reading just prior to pitching...

Both Warmbeer and I will be pitching 1968.

I didnt take a OG reading and pitched 2 stubbies of Ringwood from a previous batch

Fired like a rocket with a great white krausen and no off smells (looks like a winner)

I was a bit suspect on the yeast when i opened the bottles and it decided to jump ship for about 30seconds, Chris and Leigh where still their.

Beer of the swap was somebody's stout later in the night i think it was a sweet stout but im a bit hazy on the detail.

Kleiny

Beer of the swap was somebody's stout later in the night i think it was a sweet stout but im a bit hazy on the detail.

The sweet stout was mine, thats the one that got 3rd at stout extravaganza. It was the one i planned to give to Rooky. Fortunatly he didnt turn up and everyone got a taster. ;)

It might have been the RIS that Chris had that was the real winner. Atleast thats the way it seems form the comments so far. I don't think i got a taster of that. I recall having an oatmeal, (i think) but after we finished the brew up everything started to go pear shaped for me.

Yes, that sweet stout and Janet. Also Manticles Heffe was a nice drop. They're my top 3.

Would like recipes to add to my database if you guys don't mind.

shattered that there was something wrong with my keg of golden rye.

Fourstar's lactic beer was unbeleiveable crystal clear and pale. that made my top 3 beer list. I remember Janet, AMber ale, Chris's Heff, Dave Sour Wheaty (yum), umm and after that its a bit hazy just which beer's were who's. The other Brett had some good beers. i remember that but nfi what they were now.

Only had 1 beer all night that I couldn't finish cause I didn't like it. A superb range of top beers :beerbang:

Yes, that sweet stout and Janet. Also Manticles Heffe was a nice drop. They're my top 3.

As taken from the WAYB II thread, post#3058

Looking back i'd change the water profile slightly. Push the malt further with the CaCl and balance out the hardness.
MASH:
2g Chalk
2g Baking Soda

BOIL:
4g CaCl
1g CaSO4

1st cab off the rank for a possible 3 batch brew day. SWEET SWEET STOUT! :icon_drool2:

Crme de Stout
Sweet Stout

Type: All Grain
Date: 30/04/2009
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Braden
Boil Size: 30.90 L
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Brew Pot (40L) and Frosty Cooler (38L)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients
4.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Bairds) (3.0 SRM) Grain 72.1 %
0.40 kg Roasted Barley (Joe White) (413.0 SRM) Grain 7.2 %
0.25 kg Crystal, Dark (Joe White) (86.7 SRM) Grain 4.5 %
0.20 kg Carafa Special III (Weyermann) (470.0 SRM) Grain 3.6 %
0.20 kg Caramalt (Joe White) (17.3 SRM) Grain 3.6 %
0.50 kg Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 9.0 %
50.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 31.6 IBU
0.50 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.50 tsp Baking Soda (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
2.00 tsp Chalk (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.8 %
Bitterness: 31.6 IBU
Est Color: 36.9 SRM

Mash Profile
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 15.00 L of water at 71.6 C 66.0 C 60 min
Mash Out Add 9.00 L of water at 97.7 C 77.0 C 10 min

For Janet

The recipe is in the database under Operation Mongoose Brown Ale

Latest posts

Back