Vic Xmas In July Case Swap 2007

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i dont mind but the less stuffing around the better.

I vote for 1. Good thing Diamond Creek's just up the road from me.

Well, the wort is complete. Just have to ferment it now.

I know I've said I'll do a brown porter, but having never seen a brown porter before, this wort looks like it'll be more like a dark ale more than anything.
Preliminary tasting has resulted in an opinion that it'll taste pretty damn good, barring any mishaps/infections. EKG is sooooooo tasty.

PS. Fents, you bugger, you got me in all sorts of brown stuff with the missus. I had stocked up the fridge ready to host the day, and had a very disappointing turnout, so I had to drink all that beer by myself. The world wasn't making much sense when I went to bed, but there was no mistaking that look....

Well, the wort is complete. Just have to ferment it now.

I know I've said I'll do a brown porter, but having never seen a brown porter before, this wort looks like it'll be more like a dark ale more than anything.
Preliminary tasting has resulted in an opinion that it'll taste pretty damn good, barring any mishaps/infections. EKG is sooooooo tasty.
PS. Fents, you bugger, you got me in all sorts of brown stuff with the missus. I had stocked up the fridge ready to host the day, and had a very disappointing turnout, so I had to drink all that beer by myself. The world wasn't making much sense when I went to bed, but there was no mistaking that look....

:( sorry mate. i didnt get to bed till 7am sunday morning after watching the aussies destroy sri lanka. the intentions to rock over sun arvo and keep drinking were there. tell ya missus i'll make up for it if she lets ya stock the fridge one more time ;)

brewed mine on sunday, a few stuff ups and a few changes, according to my recipt from G+G i got vienna instead of munich II not that i'm to worried about that, also decided to add 10g of saaz at 10M left in the boil, did my first step mash and botched it, hit the first rest at 60 no worries but couldn't get the second one at 70 to sit right, might use less water for the initial step next time. i'm sure it'll still turn out to be a good beer, currently sitting at 14C and plugging along with a nice healthy 1L starter of koelsch yeast i prolly should have attached a blow off as i get the feeling it'll be all over my fridge when i get home.

big fan of the smell of the smoked malt, reminds me of last christmas' ham, if it turns out well i'll make some to enjoy with this x-mas ham maybe do an alt with 2kg of smoked malt and store it for 6 months befor hand.

looking forward to tasting it and hearing all your thoughts on it

-Phill

I brewed the Cream Ale on Saturday and I must say it was the best brewday I have had so far. Nothing went wrong and the only thing I forgot was to prime the pump. I hit all my targets and ended up with 44 litres with an OG of 1048 from 10kg of grain. With everything going so well it looks like Im setting myself up for an infection?

whats was your cream ale recipe peels if you don't mind my asking? i'm making one on the weekend

82% JWM trad ale
4% JWM caramalt
10% malted oats
4% carapils

hallertauer to 36 IBU's and some cascade at 10mins, i think i pinched the recipie from the cream ale thread but not sure as it's in my promash records

-Phill

whats was your cream ale recipe peels if you don't mind my asking? i'm making one on the weekend

82% JWM trad ale
4% JWM caramalt
10% malted oats
4% carapils

hallertauer to 36 IBU's and some cascade at 10mins, i think i pinched the recipie from the cream ale thread but not sure as it's in my promash records

-Phill
The original was Kais recipe from the AHB recipe database. With Kais help I ended up with the following recipe.

55% Pils
25% Vienna
10% Flaked maize
10% Flaked rice
(Mashed @ 67deg for 60mins)

20IBU Northern brewer @ 60mins
10IBU Northern brewer @ 5mins

US56 yeast

nice one, mines with us56 as well but otherwise there two completly different beers :)

nice one, mines with us56 as well but otherwise there two completly different beers :)
Id love to taste the difference in the two recipes. Would you be interested in doing a single bottle swap? Maybe during the case swap? You will already be getting my Cream Ale in the case swap but Im sure I could find something else to swap.

Brewed my Irish Dry Stout on Saturday night. Just finished as it started to rain!

It is the first dark beer I have brewed... and it is very dark. It smelled a bit roasty? coffee? out of the mashtun... aromas I have not experienced before on brew day. Its sitting in a no chill cube now and will be going into the fermenter tomorrow night! I'm really looking forward to see how this turns out, get some feedback from other more experienced brewers, and taste everyone else's beers!

cheers,

Andrei

It'll be interesting to see what % of our AG brethren will be nochilling for the swap. +1 here

I went and got my grain last friday by the HBS was all out of spalt so it didnt get brewed on the weekend. ordered some online and it should be here today. I'm considering setting up my HLT tommorrow morning so I'll be preheated at lunch time, coming home from work at lunch to mash in and then sparging and boiling when I get home. sounds like a lot of stuffing about but it'll mean I get an extra day on the weekend :p

heh... perhaps... I'll see what I can come up with from the ingredients I have already :)

prob doing mine this weekend if i can afford it.

i no chill as well, didn't filter out the break either but i'll add some polyclar at racking hopefully that'll clear it up

-Phill

Back