Vic Xmas In July Case Swap 2007

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can do long necks, but if you guys want long necks I don't think I can really do a tripel justice with the limited time left.
I currently have a tripel in stubbies, which should be quite getting drinkable by july, the problem with high alcohol beers like a lot of the belgian style beers, is they need a bit of maturing to reach their best. I don't want to make a beer to give away with a "don't drink for 3 months" sticker attached.
So... if you guys want a tripel I'm afraid all I've got is stubbies, otherwise I'm more than happy to brew my apache ale (in longnecks).
So let me know either way
Q
Hi Q

We are still about 10 weeks away from closing the swap off and setting a date in July that suits everyone. If you get cracking (pun intended) we wouldnt have to wait too long even if the swap was early/mid July.

I recon go the tripel in longnecks :super:

if lucas is makeing an alt put me down as Smoked beer, might need some ageing befor it's drinkable tho, perhaps i'll bottle it in midnecks so everyone gets 2, i'll see. brewing next weekend

-Phill

apache ale sounds the goods. i cant drink heaps of dark/high alc beers but thats just me.

Anyone gonna do a pilsner?

I have a Stout ready to bottle that should be nice by July or I could do something else..... my APA was good...?

1. Peels Cream ale
2. DarkFaerytale - Smoked Ale?????
3. Lucas - Batz Altbier
4. Wardhog Brown Porter
5. Fents - IPA
6. Velophile
7. Thirsty Boy - mongrel Pale Ale
8. Andrei - Irish Dry Stout
9. Quintrex - Tripel
10. RobW - robust porter
11. vlbaby
12. apd - brown ale or an out-of-season wheat
13. Murray (Maybe)

hahahaha now theres only one pale ale on the list. i need to taste more than that!

Smokin' GT

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 23.00 Wort Size (L): 23.00
Total Grain (kg): 6.00
Anticipated OG: 1.057 Plato: 14.00
Anticipated SRM: 7.1
Anticipated IBU: 29.1
Brewhouse Efficiency: 69 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 29.68 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.044 SG 10.97 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
50.0 3.00 kg. Weyermann Vienna Germany 1.038 4
16.7 1.00 kg. Weyermann Munich II Germany 1.038 12
16.7 1.00 kg. Weyermann Pilsner Germany 1.038 2
16.7 1.00 kg. Weyermann Smoked Germany 1.037 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
62.00 g. Czech Saaz Whole 3.50 29.1 75 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 2565 Kolsch

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Multi Step

Grain kg: 6.00
Water Qts: 15.85 - Before Additional Infusions
Water L: 15.00 - Before Additional Infusions

L Water Per kg Grain: 2.50 - Before Additional Infusions

Acid Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Protein Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Intermediate Rest Temp : 60 Time: 45
Saccharification Rest Temp : 70 Time: 45
Mash-out Rest Temp : 77 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 77 Time: 20

it's not a rauchbier, not dark enough, what sort of beer would you get from 3k vienna, 1k pils and 1k munich II with around 30IBU's and fermented with a koelsch yeast? just call it a smoked whatever that beer is :)

i think it's in a legue of it's own

-Phill

sure does, thanks to GT for the Recipe and to Tony for bringing the topic up over on the Grumpy's forum

hahahaha now theres only one pale ale on the list. i need to taste more than that!

Looks like I wont have to swap and I'll get to drink most of my keg of dubbel myself then. damn

TB

up to you really innit.

dubel, pale, pils, bock.

still gonna get tasted and enjoyed by everyone.

Ok, so, as far as I can tell, people are ok with either PET or glass, now regarding the amount of beer to supply, if we don't have longnecks, one can just supply 2 stubbies per person, right?

This is fine with me, if I brew a tripel this weekend I don't think it will have time be at its best in time for the swap. I have the grain ready to do one, so I will see how it goes.
I just tasted an over-bitter tripel that I had bottled recently and it is shaping up nicely ( although still a little bitter for some tastes, although I shall pretend that it was all planned so that it could age nicely).

So put me down tentatively to supply a tripel.

Here is a list update, I hope all is correct, feel free to correct me or update your entry.

1. Peels Cream ale
2. DarkFaerytale -
3. Lucas -
4. Wardhog Brown Porter
5. Fents - IPA
6. Velophile
8. Andrei
9. Quintrex - Tripel
10. RobW - robust porter
11. vlbaby

Add me to the list, not sure what i will brew, and i will also put my hand up to be a distribution/sorting point if need be (i think i will be in doncaster not mooroolbark this time)

Dave

1. Peels Cream ale
3. Lucas - Batz Altbier
4. Wardhog Brown Porter
5. Fents - IPA
6. Velophile
9. Quintrex - Tripel
10. RobW - robust porter
11. vlbaby
13. Murray (Maybe)
14. berazafi

Dammit. Ordered some Danstar Nottingham for my contribution, and have managed to put a tiny pinprick hole in the packet. Can dry yeast still in the packet get infected/rendered useless?

I have a fallback pack of S-04, will I have to fall back to this?

Dammit. Ordered some Danstar Nottingham for my contribution, and have managed to put a tiny pinprick hole in the packet. Can dry yeast still in the packet get infected/rendered useless?

I have a fallback pack of S-04, will I have to fall back to this?

Soak a paper napkin in some sanitiser, give the packet a wipe and then wrap it up in the still wet with sanitiser napkin and stick it in a plastic bag in the fridge.

When you go to use it, re-sanitise the outside of the pack before you open it.

It'll be fine.

TB

Ok, I know I have not posted but I have been very busy lately etc etc. I think a great way to meet you all would be to join in on this swap! I'm looking into making my AG Hause ale, so you if you are still looking for more, then just let me know! :)

Ok, I know I have not posted but I have been very busy lately etc etc. I think a great way to meet you all would be to join in on this swap! I'm looking into making my AG Hause ale, so you if you are still looking for more, then just let me know! :)
The more the merrier. Glad to have you aboard kadmium.

P.S. It will help people if you fill out your location in your profile.

1. Peels Cream ale
3. Lucas - Batz Altbier
4. Wardhog Brown Porter
5. Fents - IPA
6. Velophile
9. Quintrex - Tripel
10. RobW - robust porter
11. vlbaby
13. Murray (Maybe)
14. berazafi
15. kadmium - Hause ale

And so the list grows.

Just out of interest what is the plan for actually doing the swap, will we grab lunch or a bevvy or two somewhere? Or will it just be a simple drop-off/pick-up thingy?

BTW

brewed the tripel today, Undecided which yeast to use

leuven ale yeast

1762 trappist

Both fine yeasts imo, I have a big starter of the leuven waiting to go, but maybe even a mix??

Q

Just out of interest what is the plan for actually doing the swap, will we grab lunch or a bevvy or two somewhere? Or will it just be a simple drop-off/pick-up thingy?

I havent participated in a swap before but the way I understand it works is;

1)
You have several drop off locations. In Melbourne it could be West, North and East. Everyone drops off at one of those three locations. The three drop off locations then take all the beer to a central location where the beer is sorted and then taken back to the original drop off locations. People can then collect their swapped cases from the point they originally dropped their beer off at.

OR

2)
Everyone goes to one central location. The beer is sorted and then the swapped cases are taken away with you.

Does anyone have a preference? Would anyone like to put their hand up for a drop off point? I dont mind being the North drop off point but Im in Diamond Creek so if people think its too far out let me know.

West - ??
North - ?? (Peels??)
East - ??
Central - ??

P.S. Im brewing the Cream Ale this weekend.

I can be the Western drop-off. I'm moving to Footscray by end of May.

And I vote for method 1 for the drop-off. I would imagine organising 15 or 20 people to get together at the same time and place could be a bit tricky.

Latest posts

Back