Vic Xmas In July Case Swap 2007

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad this swap has sparked off again.

Either glass or PET is fine with me. It's great to get crownseal longies in a swap but not everyone has them. I think the Coopers PET could be used as a new swap standard?

Only thing I would add to the 'rules' is labels. Could everyone please label their bottles with at least your name. In the last swap I'm sure I got a few mixed up when reading tasting notes.

Only thing I would add to the 'rules' is labels. Could everyone please label their bottles with at least your name. In the last swap I'm sure I got a few mixed up when reading tasting notes.
Good idea Velophile. I have added it to the rules.

It is good to see the swap taking shape. We have nearly as many as the 2006 swap with 10 weeks to go :super:

I'm keen to brew something a little different. open to suggestions as to what

oh, and the labels thing is a great rule. I had a stack in the last swap that I had NFI what I was opening until it was open

I'm keen to brew something a little different. open to suggestions as to what
I tried a friends Belgian strong ale a while ago. It tasted great but at 8 point something percent alcohol it would be too much for me to make a whole batch. Might be a good one for the swap.

Will I put you in as confirmed now Lacas?

Sure - this weekend suit?. Actually, my next brew is going to be a porter. I might submit that instead of the Chinook/Cascade, it does seem to be chock full of pale ales.

Edit - RobW, it's going to be a Brown Porter, I'll leave the robust one to you.

I'll let ya know by thursday. If not the weekend after maybe.

I tried a friends Belgian strong ale a while ago. It tasted great but at 8 point something percent alcohol it would be too much for me to make a whole batch. Might be a good one for the swap.

Will I put you in as confirmed now Lacas?
I think something so strong would probably need more than 10 weeks aging to make it worth putting in for the swap. I'm thinking I might have a crack at an altbier or a dunkel

OK, in the spirit of trying something new, I might have a crack at a dry stout.

Well, if we end up with too many pale ales, I might be able to swap. I have a dubbel in a corny that I brewed mid febuary. But it'll depend on how many people we get for the swap. I only have 18-19 litres of it.

I also dont know if its any damn good.

Will wait to see numbers and numbers of pale ales before I confirm a swap.

Thirsty

A quick tip for those putting labels on Coopers PET bottles:

Use a small label (masking tape?) on the lid rather than on the bottle itself - the glue is almost impossible to remove, particularly if you're using those Avery print on labels.

i'm looking forward to trying the cream ale and the triple, mmm
Ahhhh the Cream Ale. This is Kais recipe that (with Kais help) was change a little from the original one he posted in the recipe section. Top drop :chug:

two more ideas I'll throw out there for anyone undecided, rauchbier and Scottish ale. would be a great chance to have a go at making a smoked beer without having to drink a whole batch worth yourself :)

oh! smoked beer, the smoking GT recipe looks interesting on the Grumpy's forum, now i'm thinking i might do that instead, dam you lucas. i'v got a week to decide

-Phill

Ok, so, as far as I can tell, people are ok with either PET or glass, now regarding the amount of beer to supply, if we don't have longnecks, one can just supply 2 stubbies per person, right?

This is fine with me, if I brew a tripel this weekend I don't think it will have time be at its best in time for the swap. I have the grain ready to do one, so I will see how it goes.
I just tasted an over-bitter tripel that I had bottled recently and it is shaping up nicely ( although still a little bitter for some tastes, although I shall pretend that it was all planned so that it could age nicely).

So put me down tentatively to supply a tripel.

Here is a list update, I hope all is correct, feel free to correct me or update your entry.

1. Peels Cream ale
2. DarkFaerytale -
3. Lucas -
4. Wardhog Brown Porter
5. Fents - IPA
6. Velophile
7. Thirsty Boy - mongrel Pale Ale
8. Andrei
9. Quintrex - Tripel
10. RobW - robust porter
11. vlbaby
12. apd - brown ale or an out-of-season wheat

Hmm, not sure if I can do it this year. Put me down as tentative though.

Not fussed on bottles, I generally prefer to drink a case of Coopers longnecks to make bottles.

Mark me down for an altbier I've decided

1. Peels Cream ale
2. DarkFaerytale -
3. Lucas - Batz Altbier
4. Wardhog Brown Porter
5. Fents - IPA
6. Velophile
8. Andrei
9. Quintrex - Tripel
10. RobW - robust porter
11. vlbaby

I'm not so keen on stubbies, they just make more work/complication when doing the swap. convince some megaswill drinking mates to buy longnecks next time they get some beer and get them to keep the empties for you. or cough up and get some of the coopers PET ones

OK, since I've recently been accepted as an Irish citizen - Irish dry stout it is!

1. Peels Cream ale
2. DarkFaerytale -
3. Lucas - Batz Altbier
4. Wardhog Brown Porter
5. Fents - IPA
6. Velophile
8. Andrei - Irish Dry Stout
9. Quintrex - Tripel
10. RobW - robust porter
11. vlbaby

I can do long necks, but if you guys want long necks I don't think I can really do a tripel justice with the limited time left.
I currently have a tripel in stubbies, which should be quite getting drinkable by july, the problem with high alcohol beers like a lot of the belgian style beers, is they need a bit of maturing to reach their best. I don't want to make a beer to give away with a "don't drink for 3 months" sticker attached.
So... if you guys want a tripel I'm afraid all I've got is stubbies, otherwise I'm more than happy to brew my apache ale (in longnecks).
So let me know either way
Q

Hmm, not sure if I can do it this year. Put me down as tentative though.

Not fussed on bottles, I generally prefer to drink a case of Coopers longnecks to make bottles.
No problem Murray. Hope you can make it.

1. Peels Cream ale
2. DarkFaerytale -
3. Lucas - Batz Altbier
4. Wardhog Brown Porter
5. Fents - IPA
6. Velophile
8. Andrei - Irish Dry Stout
9. Quintrex - Tripel
10. RobW - robust porter
11. vlbaby
13. Murray (Maybe)

I can do long necks, but if you guys want long necks I don't think I can really do a tripel justice with the limited time left.
I currently have a tripel in stubbies, which should be quite getting drinkable by july, the problem with high alcohol beers like a lot of the belgian style beers, is they need a bit of maturing to reach their best. I don't want to make a beer to give away with a "don't drink for 3 months" sticker attached.
So... if you guys want a tripel I'm afraid all I've got is stubbies, otherwise I'm more than happy to brew my apache ale (in longnecks).
So let me know either way
Q

Latest posts

Back