Vic Xmas In July Case Swap 2007

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 for no chill.

bugga polycar DFT...HTFU and drink the break ;)

yeah, all brewers welcome. I only specifed AGers because wouldnt expect non-AGers to be chilling or nochilling :p

i make my extract brews in a 13L boil topping up later on and then chilling down in some ice in the laundry sink, thats how i did the 2 i did a few months ago anyway

-Phill

Crap.... just struck my first stuck ferment (on my x-mas case tripel).
Moral of the story, add the candy syrup/sugar portion after wort is mostly fermented otherwise the yeast goes lazy and won't finish it's vegies (maltose sugars).
Going to add some nutrient and fresh yeast, hoping this will kick-start it again.
Q

the altbier got brewed this morning, it's in a cube chilling now :)

What yeast are you using, just out of interest?
nottingham @ 15C

This weather is great for nochill; cubed on saturday at 1pm, pitched on sunday lunchtime @ 20C, all through ambient cooling.

Thats great re: the nochill,
I cubed as well, but cheated this time and used a laundry trough-full of water + 2 frozen softdrink bottles to help speed up the process so I could aerate and pitch asap... High gravity brews scare me more than others, in that I sub-consciously feel that they are more likely to get infected, although in reality, the risk increase is probably minimal (if at all).

Hopefully the gravity will keep on dropping, since it was stuck and I repitched some fresh yeast + nutrient, it has dropped from 1.030 to around 1.020 over the last 2-3 days, hopefully this will continue, otherwise, I'll have to move to heating the sucker.

Q

I just poked my head into the nsw swap thread, they have 28 people involved plus two standbys. come on all you Victorians, show a little more interest!

OK, I might swap out my mongrel pale ale and try for a Kolsch instead. Never brewed one, but I'll give it a shot.

So now its

1. Peels Cream ale
2. DarkFaerytale - Smoked Ale?????
3. Lucas - Batz Altbier
4. Wardhog Brown Porter
5. Fents - IPA
6. Velophile
7. Thirsty Boy - Kolsch (or a Wit if the Kolsch goes pear shaped)
8. Andrei - Irish Dry Stout
9. Quintrex - Tripel
10. RobW - robust porter
11. vlbaby
12. apd - brown ale or an out-of-season wheat
13. Murray (Maybe)
14. berazafi
15. kadmium - Hause ale

Now, have I got this right... if we have 15 in the swap, we need to provide 1 bottle each so 15 bottles... or are we going for 2 bottles each?? I vote for only 1, but will go with the flow.

i'd have trouble getting 30 bottles ready unless i used 2 different brews, i think 1 each is enough

adding mine to secondary this weekend to cold condition for a couple weeks, about 7 weeks left, might CC for a month if i have the room in my fridge. not to much smoke flavour from the sample in my hydro. hopefully it shows its self a little more by bottleing time

-Phill

i'd have trouble getting 30 bottles ready unless i used 2 different brews, i think 1 each is enough

I agree. I don't know which of my fermenter's volume markings are out of whack, but my porter is sitting in secondary at the moment and showing only around 18 litres. I thought I had around 21-22 in primary, and left very little (<500ml) when racking to secondary. Looks like I'll have enough for the case swap and only a few left over for my own enjoyment.

I agree also. 1 bottle only please.

I've done 2 batches of brown at 18L each but one (or both) might turn out crap.

I'm still fiddling with my system. I'm using BIAB at the moment and I'm not sure it's the go. After doughing in, the temp is all over the shop. With my last brew, around the edge of the mash tun was 75*C and in the middle it was as low as 60*C. Stirring reduced the difference but I'm still not sure about how it'll turn out.

Top that off with the fact that I no-chilled and it was still at 38*C the next morning but I'd started rehydrating my pack of s-04 before I found out, so then the rehydrated yeast sat in the water till 6pm when I pitched it. If this brew turns out it will be a miracle.

as long as the yeast was covered and everything was sanitary you should be fine, next time perhaps give it a squirt from the fermenter every once in a while for an appetiser :)

-Phill

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I would have given it a squirt but I had to go to work.

Anyway, it's fermenting now so all is hopefully well.

i tell ya, i'm bloody sick of work getting in the way of brewing! but at least it gives me a chance to browse the forums for an hour or 8

-Phill

1 longneck per head is my pref too. my batch is 22L but I want some for myself

Latest posts

Back