Vic Xmas In July Case Swap 2007

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree also. 1 bottle only please.

I've done 2 batches of brown at 18L each but one (or both) might turn out crap.

I'm still fiddling with my system. I'm using BIAB at the moment and I'm not sure it's the go. After doughing in, the temp is all over the shop. With my last brew, around the edge of the mash tun was 75*C and in the middle it was as low as 60*C. Stirring reduced the difference but I'm still not sure about how it'll turn out.

Top that off with the fact that I no-chilled and it was still at 38*C the next morning but I'd started rehydrating my pack of s-04 before I found out, so then the rehydrated yeast sat in the water till 6pm when I pitched it. If this brew turns out it will be a miracle.

Stir the crap out of that BIAB apd. It takes a few minutes to settle down, but one of the best features of BIAB should be the nice, stable easy to achieve strike temps.

Besides, the average of your two temps was a lovely 67.5C. It will have evened out through the mash tun over the period of the mash.

Your beer will be fine.

Thirsty

Damn work getting in the way of my AHB activities. Been meaning to post this for a while. DarkFaerytale ask me for the Cream Ale recipe which I happily provided. But when I was posting the recipe I realised (cut a long story short) I was way down on the 5min hop addition. It should have been 55 grams but I only added 30 grams. This will drop it by 5IBU and reduce the flavour. I am going to bottle it in the next day or two so if I think its not worthy of swapping I will brew something else.

Hey all - I'm keen to join in the brew swap too. Just put a brew down yesterday, aiming for a dark ale a bit like the Tasmanian 'Moo Brew'... Ingredients included 1kg DME, .8kg LME, .5kg Crystal malt, and 25g of fuggles hops, and a wyeast 1762 Belgian Abbey 2 yeast.

So wad'ya think.. is there room for one more?

No problem Mmmmm... beer. Your in.

Update time.

Drop off locations
West - apd - Footscray
North - Peels Diamond Creek
East - ??
Central - ??

1. Peels Cream ale
2. DarkFaerytale - Smoked Ale?????
3. Lucas - Batz Altbier
4. Wardhog Brown Porter
5. Fents - IPA
6. Velophile
7. Thirsty Boy - Kolsch (or a Wit if the Kolsch goes pear shaped)
8. Andrei - Irish Dry Stout
9. Quintrex - Tripel
10. RobW - robust porter
11. vlbaby
12. apd - brown ale or an out-of-season wheat
13. Murray (Maybe)
14. berazafi
15. kadmium - Hause ale
16. Mmmmm... beer Dark Ale

My contribution is bottled and waiting for the day to roll around, now I just gotta sit and look at it for the next 7-8 weeks :(

And please, can we cut off new entrants soon? I've got 14 set aside and have just realised I need two more, which means digging into the few remaining bottles I was saving for myself (the batch was smaller than I expected).

my batch has come out small too, and not smelling pretty at racking time either, i'll CC for as long as i can and if it's no good i'll send in something better

whats the pick up date again?

-Phill

to answer my own question

30th june

things might be a bit hecktic for me as i move into my new place on the 5th but if no one puts there hand up for a distribution point in the south/east i'll do it, i'm in/will be in springvale south

-Phill

Im out guys sorry, to much happening at the moment, i cant even manage to fit a brew in for myself

No problem Mmmmm... beer. Your in.

Update time.

Drop off locations
West - apd - Footscray
East - ??
Central - ??

1. Peels Cream ale
2. DarkFaerytale - Smoked Ale?????
3. Lucas - Batz Altbier
4. Wardhog Brown Porter
5. Fents - IPA
6. Velophile
7. Thirsty Boy - Kolsch (or a Wit if the Kolsch goes pear shaped)
8. Andrei - Irish Dry Stout
9. Quintrex - Tripel
10. RobW - robust porter
11. vlbaby
12. apd - brown ale or an out-of-season wheat
13. Murray (Maybe)
14. kadmium - Hause ale
15. Mmmmm... beer Dark Ale

UPDATED!

All,

Although I am not participating in the case swap, I am happy to be a drop-off point if it helps. I am in Wellington Street quite near to where the Eastern Freeway becomes Alexandra Parade, so might be conveniently enough placed to do so.

All,

Although I am not participating in the case swap, I am happy to be a drop-off point if it helps. I am in Wellington Street quite near to where the Eastern Freeway becomes Alexandra Parade, so might be conveniently enough placed to do so.

sounds awesome to me..... :D

Q

All,

works for me too! any reason you're not putting a beer in for the swap? I still reckon the more the merrier ;)

Hi,

I will be on holidays on the 30th June. I will need to drop off my beers before then to someone acting as a collection point and pick my box of goodies up after the 9th July.

Is there any ettiquette regarding labels for your bottles? I used to print out avery labels for my beers but got sick of scraping them off. What's everyone doing?

btw, my Irish Dry Stout is almost finished fermenting but the SG is a little high for my liking (stuck ferment?)... I've raised temperature to get it to drop a few more points if I can. I will probably bottle this weekend.

Andrei

Is there any ettiquette regarding labels for your bottles? I used to print out avery labels for my beers but got sick of scraping them off. What's everyone doing?

just printing them onto paper and glueing them on with one of those glue sticks, stuff comes off pretty easy in some hot water

i'v decided i will be the drop of point for the east, thats if there are actually any guys out this way in the swap? if not i guess it'll just be me :p

-Phill

works for me too! any reason you're not putting a beer in for the swap? I still reckon the more the merrier ;)

Yeah - I'd like to get this brewing caper sorted out before I inflict it on too many people. B)

Yeah - I'd like to get this brewing caper sorted out before I inflict it on too many people. B)

One of the main reasons I'm in this is to get feedback on how I brew, and use that feedback to improve my brewing. The other is to taste a few styles of beer I haven't had before.

Don't hold back. Join in for the advancement of everyone, including yourself. And me.

I think I have all the logistics sorted out now.

Swap date: 30th of June 2007.
If you cant make it to the drop off location on the 30th organise another date prior to the 30th with the respective drop off location person.

Drop off to the West, North and East locations should be no later than 11.00am on the 30th of June. Sorting will start at 2.00pm at Spills place. If people want to drop off individually at Spills place it should be by 2.00pm.

Send a PM to your relevant drop off location person for their address.

Drop off locations
West - apd - Footscray
East - DarkFaerytale Springvale South
Central (drop off and sorting location) - SpillsMostOfIt Collingwood

Picking up your case of beautifully hand crafted beer should be organised with your relevant drop off location person.

Although SpillsMostOfIt isnt swapping any beer he has kindly offered to host the sorting location. It would be nice if we could leave him a little something to repay his generosity.

If I have missed anything or something needs to be changed let me know.

Peels

I'll organise an extra bottle for Spills. Such selfless acts should be recognised and rewarded.

I tip my hat (if I was wearing one) to you, Spills.

Latest posts

Back