Vic Xmas In July 2008 Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK. I hear what you are saying and I must concur. As much as I don't like to change rules half way through I believe in the interest of health and safety I must.

2. The bottles must be PET. No other types of bottles are acceptable.

On the recommendation of Barramundi I have updated the bottle marking rule.

4. Each bottle shall be clearly marked with your AHB name and swap number on the bottle cap.

Also a case swap topic has been created in the articles section so please update your contributions etc in there.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...;showarticle=50

As much as I don't like to change rules half way through ...

We're less than ten percent of the way through. You've got plenty of head-room. Nothing to worry about... :D

I was going to use PET anyway, as I usually bottle into stubbies...

It would be "nice" to get 24 PET's back to re-use in future swaps :D

4. Each bottle shall be clearly marked with your AHB name and swap number on the bottle cap.

Happy with PET bottles.

Perhaps being a bit pedantic, but... what is the best way to mark the bottle cap?
I found last year that the small round stick-on labels you get from the newsagent don't hold on very well to the plastic caps.
I recall a couple of brewers used white-out on the caps.
Is this preferable, or does this just make it harder to remove for future swaps?

Happy with PET bottles.

Perhaps being a bit pedantic, but... what is the best way to mark the bottle cap?
I found last year that the small round stick-on labels you get from the newsagent don't hold on very well to the plastic caps.
I recall a couple of brewers used white-out on the caps.
Is this preferable, or does this just make it harder to remove for future swaps?

white Texta hutch

Rook

Might see my highly anal brother. The perfect person for a Dynamo labeller. Think he even labels his dogs. :lol:

Warren -

How about we only put the number on the caps.

If I have to write my AHB name as well, I can guarantee that no one will be able to read it.

Also I found that putting a bit of masking tape on the cap works well if you want to write on them with a darker colour pen.

So you all live in glass-free homes because its dangerous?

I can live with PET bottles. It does make it convenient for future swaps.

How about we only put the number on the caps.

If I have to write my AHB name as well, I can guarantee that no one will be able to read it.

Also I found that putting a bit of masking tape on the cap works well if you want to write on them with a darker colour pen.

I think they meant AHB name on bottle and number on the lid...

If everyone plays by the rules and puts their number on the cap, everyone else (except for the numerically challenged) can then refer to this thread for correlation.

I used a whiteout pen last time (as always with black caps) and it is fine. You can then either remove it with isopropyl alcohol or black over it with a black pen.

If everyone plays by the rules and puts their number on the cap, everyone else (except for the numerically challenged) can then refer to this thread for correlation.

I used a whiteout pen last time (as always with black caps) and it is fine. You can then either remove it with isopropyl alcohol or black over it with a black pen.

.. but what about the mystery of having 4 entries with absolutely no markings on them whatsoever, and having to work out which one is which.

... and what if you do a really crap brew and don't want to own up to it ... :lol:

the dubble went down last night

krausen is 5 foot high and rising this morning. (abbey II would have to be the most active yeast i'v used to date)

plenty of time for maturing me thinks

-Phill

.. but what about the mystery of having 4 entries with absolutely no markings on them whatsoever, and having to work out which one is which.

... and what if you do a really crap brew and don't want to own up to it ... :lol:

Can everyone please submit one bottle with no markings whatsoever. We'll make Chris' return case out of them.

Done. :p

I was planning on purchasing 2 boxes of these PET bottles for the swap. It will be good to get 24 in return for the 24 I send out. I'm happy with the PET rule.

OK, I can handle the PET rule. But...

last swap I brewed a candidate beer, tasted it, then swapped my case contribution for a different brew because I wasn't happy with it. I bottle in glass usually. I will have to buy some new PET bottles - no big deal, but I won't be buying enough to have a backup beer bottled in PET ready to go if my first beer is sh!t. I still make the odd brew I am less than happy with. This time around I will have no chance to swap it out if it is no good... so be it!

I'm thinking of having another crack at an Irish Dry Stout for this case... could be an interesting comparison for those of you in the July case swap last year to see if the advice I received then made a difference.

cheers, Andrei

i have the same trouble as andrei, i normally bottle in glass. so far the brew i'm making is doing really well but if something does go wrong i'll have to use another brew that will be all glass, either that or give ya's the bad beer

-Phill

im in the same boat as andrei & DFT if my swap beer goes to sh!t its glass or nothing

Simple solution fella's ....... Don't make shit beer. :p

Rook

Latest posts

Back