Vic 2015 Xmas Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
idzy said:
I think it would be good as an additional thing rather than 'the' thing. I am with the others in regard to variety. Also, if you get a dud cube as you do get dud beers you would have 20 litres of it and it could be just bad luck. At least if you have 20 litres of your own bad brew it's all on you.
My thoughts exactly. I like this as a complementary part of an existing 2 case swap.

For me the case swap is all about the variety, but unfortunately recently we get a lot of last minute drop outs: something we need to find a fix for (may be a cut-off date 4 weeks prior to list your beer or get taken off the list, so someone else can take the spot). Unfortunately I think that adding a cube swap to the event may end up undermining the case swap further.

Black n Tan said:
For me the case swap is all about the variety, but unfortunately recently we get a lot of last minute drop outs: something we need to find a fix for (may be a cut-off date 4 weeks prior to list your beer or get taken off the list, so someone else can take the spot). Unfortunately I think that adding a cube swap to the event may end up undermining the case swap further.
the xmas swap is always a little more difficult to fill, I don't think we've had a full one for about 3 years, traditionally we have a reserve list to cater for the inevitable drop offs.

In any swap there is usually last minute drop offs, that's just life getting in the way of our boozy events in general...

stoopid life... should **** off and get a life of it own...

Should have added that I was thinking of the "cube swap" idea as an add on activity to the bottle swap not instead of.

Agree to mixed case of lots of different beers is the best bit of swapping.

Was just thinking I had an idea that may keep some of those (like me) from pulling out completely due to lack of time.

But I pull out of swaps early more often than a teenage boy without a condom - so as I said, I'm not the best one to have a say on how to run them.

Carry on.

Yob said:
the xmas swap is always a little more difficult to fill, I don't think we've had a full one for about 3 years, traditionally we have a reserve list to cater for the inevitable drop offs.

In any swap there is usually last minute drop offs, that's just life getting in the way of our boozy events in general...

stoopid life... should **** off and get a life of it own...
We only had 18 beers swapped at the July case swap, so it is not just the Xmas swap. May be you're right, it is what it is and just live with it.

We could drop the XMAS part and have it in November or January. That might help boost attendance. Then if we do get big pickup in attendance we could have one each season.

Im loving the variety of venues and breaking away from the burbs.

Great idea! Gets it away from the troublesome hectic busy time of year!

yep agree ... its great to spread our wings far and away !

avoiding crucial dates etc etc ...

but I do enjoy the way it breaks with traditions and certainty

creating mass confusion where ever we go !!! ha ha

micbrew said:
but I do enjoy the way it breaks with traditions and certainty
We will be departing with tradition in some regard at least. I suspect there will be limited use of the thumb1 with Grant and Tracey at the reins.

1For the uninitiated, 'thumb' is a unit of measurement. Can be calculated on the fly on brew day by straightening your arm, extending out your thumb and with one eye closed blocking vision with your thumb; this would be regarded as a single unit of measure. Can be used for calculating any part of the brewing process, including recipe formulation, mash times, temperatures, final gravity and volume...

1. Idzy
2. VPBrewing - Kölsch. Bottled 25-10-15.
3. MartinOC - Changed my mind - possibly a weizen, or a Saison. I dunno just yet...
4. JB - American Orange Wheat - Bottled this today & the WLP320 (3rd gen) has absolutely slaughtered the orange / marmalade aroma & flavour, very little orange, banana and clove remain. Disappointed. Don't think aging will help at all :(
5. Micbrew
6. Mayor of Mildura - Stouty Stout - Bottled 20-9-15
7. Black n Tan-Dusseldorf Altbier
8. Midnight Brew
10. AJ80 (Portlander Weiße - west coast IPA vs Berliner Weisse)
12. Grainer -Popcorn and Polenta Cream Ale - Friken weird.... Ready to drink
14. Mudd
15. Awesome Fury
17. Whiteferret
22. Mardoo
23. DJ_L3ThAL - Chestnut Pilsner v4 - keg carbed, lagered and carb cap bottled filled is the plan.
24. Host Spot

As long as the base malts etc are good.. I am sure its drinkable on a hot day

1. Idzy
3. MartinOC - Changed my mind - possibly a weizen, or a Saison. I dunno just yet...
4. JB - American Orange Wheat - Bottled this today & the WLP320 (3rd gen) has absolutely slaughtered the orange / marmalade aroma & flavour, very little orange, banana and clove remain. Disappointed. Don't think aging will help at all :(
5. Micbrew
8. Midnight Brew
14. Mudd
15. Awesome Fury
17. Whiteferret
22. Mardoo - 1954 Pale Ale - Centennial/Southern Cross - Drink New Yearsish
23. DJ_L3ThAL - Chestnut Pilsner v4 - keg carbed, lagered and carb cap bottled filled is the plan.
24. Host Spot

Grainer said:
As long as the base malts etc are good.. I am sure its drinkable on a hot day
Cheers, yeah it's easily drinkable - I was just after something a bit extra special & it's had nice flavour on previous brews ... ah well, it's over the the brew gods now ...

1. Idzy
4. JB - American Orange Wheat - Bottled this today & the WLP320 (3rd gen) has absolutely slaughtered the orange / marmalade aroma & flavour, very little orange, banana and clove remain. Disappointed. Don't think aging will help at all
5. Micbrew
11. Midnight Brew (+ Bruce the old man) Amber Ale bottled 27.11.2015.
14. Mudd
15. Awesome Fury
17. Whiteferret
24. Host Spot

1. Idzy
4. JB - American Orange Wheat - Bottled this today & the WLP320 (3rd gen) has absolutely slaughtered the orange / marmalade aroma & flavour, very little orange, banana and clove remain. Disappointed. Don't think aging will help at all
5. Micbrew
11. Midnight Brew (+ Bruce the old man) Amber Ale bottled 27.11.2015.
14. Mudd - Rauchbier- 100% Gladfield Manuka Smoked Malt
15. Awesome Fury
17. Whiteferret
24. Host Spot

100% smoked malt?! Don't think VP Brewing is gonna be happy..... Lol :)

Latest posts

Back