Vic 2007 X-mas Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Real estate guy was a legend as was the other couple that live there, they were gutted to find out you were a homebrewer and they were selling up spills!!

Lucky people are posting photos. It may be some peoples only memory of the day.

Who's who in that rogues' gallery, Spills?

I kept up my end of the bargain -

Scotch Ales at Red Hill Brewery

And going the extra mile.... Pig's Arse IPA at The Pig and Whistle.

If any of you ever find yourself anywhere near Arthur's Seat, leave the chairlift alone and get yourself to the Pig and Whistle. The IPA is a bloody lovely way to wash down a quality vindaloo.

scotchale.jpg

pigsarse.jpg

1. Fenton - 2565 Kolsch - Drink it now!![/b]
2. Peels - Scottish Export Ale 80/ (Scottish ale 1728)
3. Wardhog - ESB - ready to drink now[/b]
4. Spillsmostofit - Belgian Dumb Blonde - Numeral FOUR on the bottle cap. Drink whenever - I recommend after a bottle of cheap red wine.[/b]
5. hairofthedog - super dry nelson pils - hair x-case on cap ready to drink
6. Maple - Rye IPA
7. Thirsty Boy - Hefeweizen
8. therook - Alt
9. mark_m - APA/IPA house ale
10. apd - Brown ale
11. DarkFaerytale - F.E. Stout - 'FES' on the lid, it's at least 2 months in the bottle but like all stouts, gets better with age, i'd leave it till one of the last.[/b]
12. Quintrex - belgian IPA?
13. Allycat - light summer quencher
14. Andreic - Hefeweizen - labeled - wait until mid-December you like it fresh, or else closer to New Year[/b]
15. voota - extra stout
16. Citymorgue2 - Hop Ale: Ready to Drink[/b]
17. Hutch - "Hair of The Dog- Flying Dog APA" - Been in the bottle over a month, so drink it as soon as you like [/b]
18. lucas - NS Summer "Real Ale" - bottled 1 week ago, give it another week or two, and then maybe a week in the fridge.[/b]
19. Chris Taylor - American Amber Ale
20. driveitlikeyoustoleit - ACA
21. 65 Bellett - Ordinary Bitter
22. wambesi - Honey Wheat Beer
23. Cummins - IPA - Should be good to go
24. Lavender - APA

yep i copped a dead set baking sunday morning from the missus but if that brewery tour gets up im willing to bat up again maybe the goat on a friday evening

yup awsome day. great to meet you boys. I wont tell everyone that I must have had a few under my belt becuase I still didnt take home the right number of cases (1 short). oops just did. Dont worry Maple, Andreic, Chris T, Lucas, I have 4 cases so you have them and I'll pick mine up from Spills at some stage soon.

You might as well get stuck into one of the cases citymorgue2. I'm stuck in Hong Kong at the moment, so won't be around there to pick it up this week.

1. Fenton - 2565 Kolsch - Drink it now!!
3. Wardhog - ESB
4. Spillsmostofit - Belgian Dumb Blonde
5. hairofthedog - super dry nelson pils
6. Maple - Rye IPA
8. therook - Alt
10. apd - Brown ale
11. DarkFaerytale - F.E. Stout - 'FES' on the lid, it's at least 2 months in the bottle but like all stouts, gets better with age, i'd leave it till one of the last.
14. Andreic - Hefeweizen - labeled - wait until mid-December you like it fresh, or else closer to New Year
15. voota - extra stout
16. Citymorgue2 - Hop Ale: Ready to Drink
17. Hutch - "Hair of The Dog- Flying Dog APA" - Been in the bottle over a month, so drink it as soon as you like
18. lucas - NS Summer "Real Ale"
19. Chris Taylor - American Amber Ale: Ready to Drink
23. Cummins - IPA
24. Lavender - ???

... guess it would help if I copy the right list over.

3. Wardhog - ESB - ready to drink now
4. Spillsmostofit - Belgian Dumb Blonde - Numeral FOUR on the bottle cap. Drink whenever - I recommend after a bottle of cheap red wine.
6. Maple - Rye IPA
8. therook - Alt
10. apd - Brown ale
11. DarkFaerytale - F.E. Stout - 'FES' on the lid, it's at least 2 months in the bottle but like all stouts, gets better with age, i'd leave it till one of the last.
14. Andreic - Hefeweizen - labeled - wait until mid-December you like it fresh, or else closer to New Year
15. voota - extra stout
17. Hutch - "Hair of The Dog- Flying Dog APA" - Been in the bottle over a month, so drink it as soon as you like
18. lucas - NS Summer "Real Ale" - bottled 1 week ago, give it another week or two, and then maybe a week in the fridge.
19. Chris Taylor - American Amber Ale: ready to drink.
24. Lavender - APA

4. Spillsmostofit - Belgian Dumb Blonde - Numeral FOUR on the bottle cap. Drink whenever - I recommend after a bottle of cheap red wine.
6. Maple - Rye IPA
8. therook - Alt
9. mark_m - APA/IPA house ale - should be good to go - bottled 31/10 after 5 weeks c/c
10. apd - Brown ale
15. voota - extra stout
18. lucas - NS Summer "Real Ale" - bottled 1 week ago, give it another week or two, and then maybe a week in the fridge.
24. Lavender - APA

Very disappointed to miss the day - sounds like it was a cracker.

Spending the afternoon at the beach with the kids & pulling 9 snapper out of westernport on the evening tide went some way toward dulling the pain.

Hopefully my contribution has carbed up ok - bottling has been extremely limited since the keg system got set up.

3 litres force carbed at bottling time disappeared quickly & enjoyably - plenty of hops with a good malt backbone.

I await the feedback on the bottled version.

Looking forward to catching up with Spills during the week & picking up my cases.

Cheers & Beers

Mark

You might as well get stuck into one of the cases citymorgue2. I'm stuck in Hong Kong at the moment, so won't be around there to pick it up this week.
Ive got all the cases now Chris. But talk about your dedicated AHM members checking posts from HK. I could think of worse places to be stuck.

Who marked their cap SS or 55????

That was me... is it lactic?

The saison with orval dregs was also mine, a few people expressed a bit of interest in it... here is the recipe. Its pretty basic, but I like the result.

Vootas Saison

A ProMash Recipe Report

19-D Belgian & French Ale, Saison

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 20.00 Wort Size (L): 20.00
Total Grain (kg): 6.15
Anticipated OG: 1.066 Plato: 16.09
Anticipated EBC: 20.4
Anticipated IBU: 32.7
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.4 0.15 kg. JWM Crystal 140 Australia 72.48 194
8.1 0.50 kg. Candi Sugar (clear) Generic 99.55 0
73.2 4.50 kg. JWM Traditional Ale Malt Australia 78.94 8
16.3 1.00 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 82.41 4

Potential represented as Yield, Coarse Grind As Is.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
40.00 g. Hallertauer Mittelfruh Pellet 3.70 22.5 60 min.
40.00 g. Hallertauer Mittelfruh Pellet 3.70 3.8 5 min.
10.00 g. Fuggle Pellet 4.20 6.4 60 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.00 gm Black Pepper Spice 0 Days(boil)

Yeast
-----
Wyeast saison

Mash at 66.5, 2 weeks in primary at 20deg, 4 weeks in secondary at 20 deg with some semi-recultured orval dregs.

I recall it tasting best 1 week after bottling, as you would expect it changes in flavour every month.

Oh, and the candy sugar is home made... you could pretty much call it white table sugar. haha

,chris

6. Maple - Rye IPA
7. Thirsty Boy - Hefeweizen - Not labeled or marked at all (sorry) drinkable now, but better to wait a couple of weeks
8. therook - Alt
9. mark_m - APA/IPA house ale - should be good to go - bottled 31/10 after 5 weeks c/c
10. apd - Brown ale
15. voota - extra stout
24. Lavender - APA

Thanks for that recipe Voota. I think I will be giving something very similar a go in the not too distant future :beer:

6. Maple - Rye IPA - should be good to go anytime
7. Thirsty Boy - Hefeweizen - Not labeled or marked at all (sorry) drinkable now, but better to wait a couple of weeks

8. therook - Alt
10. apd - Brown ale

15. voota - extra stout

24. Lavender - APA

8. therook - Alt
10. apd - Brown ale - drink as per label. This is a repeat of my beer from last swap, hopefully with (noticeable) improvements.

15. voota - extra stout

24. Lavender - APA

8. therook - Alt
10. apd - Brown ale - drink as per label. This is a repeat of my beer from last swap, hopefully with (noticeable) improvements.
12. Quintrex - belgian IPA - Should be drinkable now,it's taken ages to carb up- bottled 25/10
13. Allycat - light summer quencher - Drink now

15. voota - extra stout

24. Lavender - APA

8. therook - Alt
10. apd - Brown ale

15. voota - extra stout - Drink it now if you like any smoke character, otherwise it'll age decently for a good while.

24. Lavender - APA

I should add that anybody who ends up with the bottle "S.S" will have a different version of my extra stout, it's not smoked and has a more piney hop character... sorry but I ran out of bottles. The people who ended up with "SS" have the actual smoked stout.

8. therook - Alt
10. apd - Brown ale

15. voota - extra stout - Drink it now if you like any smoke character, otherwise it'll age decently for a good while.

24. Lavender - APA

I just cracked a test bottle of my NS summer ale. there's only very light carbonation and it's quite hazy. the haze mightn't go away (I've had a problem in the beer before this that even filtering + polyclar didnt help.. though perhaps I didnt leave it long enough?), but a few weeks will do the bubbles a lot of good. would be perfect for a hot xmas day :p dont worry too much about the hop aroma fading, there seems to be plenty there :)

woohoo!

just picked up my case from Citymorgue2 - thanks mate!

Will chuck a few bottles in the fridge for tasting over the next few days. Tasting thread is looking good already.

cheers,

Andrei

was deciding which beers to put in the fridge and noticed I have 2 of Lucas NS Summer Ale, at the expense of Cummins IPA I think... oh well - no biggy...

cheers,

Andrei

Back