Using Natural Mains Gas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkBastard

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I have a courtyard that has one of those mains gas powered hot water systems in it.

Is it possible to get a trady to splice off the mains gas line and put some kind of connector on the new hose that can be used for a BBQ and / or a rambo burner?

If so is this a big deal or is it fairly common and cheap to do?

ive seen it done plenty on here before, though people usually use burners designed for the low pressure natural gas that would be in that lines. I think there is a natural gas version of the mongolian which would be my first choice.

Hey guys.

I have a courtyard that has one of those mains gas powered hot water systems in it.

Is it possible to get a trady to splice off the mains gas line and put some kind of connector on the new hose that can be used for a BBQ and / or a rambo burner?

If so is this a big deal or is it fairly common and cheap to do?

It certainly can be done.

If the gas pipe you want to tap into is close to where you want an outlet (called a bayonet fitting) then it shouldn't be overly expensive.

There are gas pressure issues that need to be taken into account and sometimes you need to run a new line starting close to the gas meter.

As Sammus said you need to use a burner designed for natural gas use. Your BBQ will also need to be modified to handle natural gas.

Scott

Sammus is right. Works fine.

I use a 23 jet Mongolian on NG with a clip in bayonet. Mongolian was good to go at purchase (no need to drill out jets, etc. like other burners) but you'll need to fit a regulator (which your tradie can recommend). It's nice and quiet and exceeds my requirement in terms of boil time, vigour of boil, etc. First time I used it, I pushed around a 40% evap rate which I've obviously backed way off.

Incredibly pleased with the setup, both in ease of use and ongoing cost of NG vs. LP. One of those must have brewing accessories that will pay for itself, in regular use.

reVox

Cheers Jerry.

The gas meter is actually on the other side of the wall to the hot water system, so the split would be without 50cm I reckon. I'd probably want the hose to be about 1.5m long.

No worries Mark.

Your laughing if the gas meter is that close.

I had a NG point installed on my deck, for the BBQ and eventually for brewing, early this year. Unfortunately the pipe had to start at the gas meter and run to the back corner of the house.

Got a bit expensive but well worth it in both convenience and also saving a few bucks in the long run.

Scott

Unfortunately the pipe had to start at the gas meter and run to the back corner of the house.

This probably has more to do with the location of the gas line in your house rather than anything pressure related.

So you reckon this would be like a $120 job or more?

And do you use the same regulator for the bbq as well? Trying to work out approximate costs because I have a kettle bbq at the minute and I'm only really thinking about getting a gas one because the gas is so damn close and it sounds like a cool idea.

Tossing up between this and just getting an electric urn instead basically, and using my kettle bbq exclusively

This probably has more to do with the location of the gas line in your house rather than anything pressure related.

No it was pressure related.

There is a 12mm diameter gas pipe 4 metres away but the pressure would have been too low.

We needed to run larger diameter pipe from the meter.

Cost depends on your plumber. $120 sounds pretty cheap to me though.

I'm sure someone will say they use a LPG regulator without any problems but you really should use one made for natural gas.

So you reckon this would be like a $120 job or more?

And do you use the same regulator for the bbq as well? Trying to work out approximate costs because I have a kettle bbq at the minute and I'm only really thinking about getting a gas one because the gas is so damn close and it sounds like a cool idea.

Tossing up between this and just getting an electric urn instead basically, and using my kettle bbq exclusively

Don't know what it will cost you but you will need a plumber and they're not cheap.

It shouldn't be a big job.

If you know a plumber you might be able to come to some sort of arrangement????

Don't know what it will cost you but you will need a plumber and they're not cheap.

It shouldn't be a big job.

If you know a plumber you might be able to come to some sort of arrangement????

Hmm I do know a plumber but I don't think he works with gas. I should ask him though.

hmm i have a mates brother coming over tonight to look at our plumbing. He's a plumber/gas fitter. might get him to scope out the NG situation as ive got a 23jet mongolian.......excellent!

hmm i have a mates brother coming over tonight to look at our plumbing. He's a plumber/gas fitter. might get him to scope out the NG situation as ive got a 23jet mongolian.......excellent!

Suss out some info for me if you don't mind mate! I'm not sure if this is the type of thing where you can almost use a Y adapter or something to split the gas, and then just screw something into it. Either that or it's actually a complicated job.

Suss out some info for me if you don't mind mate! I'm not sure if this is the type of thing where you can almost use a Y adapter or something to split the gas, and then just screw something into it. Either that or it's actually a complicated job.

Mark,

Mine involved welding a 'T' piece into the existing line and then running a new pipe off that to where you want the gas taken to.

A bayonet fitting is then attached to the end of the new pipe.

Can't remember the price of the bayonet fitting but might have been around $20 - $30.00.

Certainly worth investigating.

Scott

MB it can be done and it's not too expensive about $180 + New Reg on my last place for the BBQ. BUT beware that Brisbane has 2 types of mains gas one is Low Pressure High Volume (LPHV) and the other is High Pressure Low Volume (HPLV) both require a different set up with regs and stuff. IIRC the way to tell the diffence is if your lead in pipe from the front garden isolation valve is about 32mm dia then it is LPHV if it is smaller than that 12mm IIRC then it's HPLV. Anyway don't muck around with it a Gas Plumber will have you completely sorted in no time.

Chap Chap

My plumber mate had a bo beep at my incoming gas , distance will affect pressure and no point having an outlet that can run a 1-2 burner bbq and not much more, existing infrastructure, some being half inch some being 3 qrt some being gal some flexi, It was a real dogs breakfast and to do it properly meant starting at the lead in and replacing a lot of old hat stuff. $700 was mates rates.

Buyer beware!!

I've been thinking of picking up a natural gas China Jet Burner (mongolian is just a made up name) and doing the same except I don't own my current place so I have to wait before going ahead.

Already got the burner lined up, not going to pay for the mongolian made up name so will probably get 2 or 3 of them to make a complete brew station :p

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

go for it Pete, but you might want to look closely at the size of your burner. I bought a 23 jet like that 2 years ago and it can dead set power the Space Shuttle! IMHO you can happily do even double batches on a 10 Jet version of these. I think Tony posted about them in one of the burner threads a while ago.

I ended up removing a heap of jets and blanking them off with the right size NPT screws. The other drawback is the noise. If you go from a low pressure ring burner to this like I did, Brew Day gets a lot less tranquil! I just turn up the music but don't expect these burners to be quiet!

I've been thinking of picking up a natural gas China Jet Burner (mongolian is just a made up name)

I'm not sure what you mean bu this statement. That burner you linked to is in the USA and to ship it here plus conversion would cost a sh!tload more than getting one here, even if you don't like the 'mongolian' model name.

http://www.auscrown.com/commjetbrn.php

I want someone to try the duckbill :p

Latest posts

Back