US experience shows demand for craft beer reviving rural farm sectors

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the link. The article riightly focuses on hops. Hops require way more labour than growing barley and malting. Craft brews generally use more malt, but far more hops. In the US the giants such as Annheuser Inbev have someone walk around the brew kettle holding a hop cone, while the craft brewers are selling lines that include beers in 3-digit IBUs and dryhopped with mass quantities, that have names like Custer's Last Stand DIPA. The contrast isn't quite as sharp in Australia, but it's there.

one of my workmates is from an old hop growing family in Tas who have only been growing poppys for the government for the last few decades. Putting in their first crop of new variety hops in next season and pretty excited by it by the sound of it. I asked him to get me some zomes :D

Was reading last week about Graincorp's expansion in the US all due to the craft beer market, here is a paragraph from the article.

The craft sector in the United States has been growing consistently at 10-15% per annum over recent years and is expected to make up 20% of that country’s beer market in the next five years. The fact that craft beer consumes larger quantities of malt per litre also means that existing malting capacity is under some pressure.

Liam_snorkel said:
one of my workmates is from an old hop growing family in Tas who have only been growing poppys for the government for the last few decades. Putting in their first crop of new variety hops in next season and pretty excited by it by the sound of it. I asked him to get me some zomes :D
Hows your mate at genetic engineering?
He should copyright the name Hop Junkie just in case..

I'm doing hop growing research here in Poperinge ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1432796592.935012.jpg.ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1432796458.133188.jpg

Well I'm tasting the hops in their beers anyway.

wide eyed and legless said:
Was reading last week about Graincorp's expansion in the US all due to the craft beer market, here is a paragraph from the article.

The craft sector in the United States has been growing consistently at 10-15% per annum over recent years and is expected to make up 20% of that country’s beer market in the next five years. The fact that craft beer consumes larger quantities of malt per litre also means that existing malting capacity is under some pressure.
Yeah what about the Louisiana rice farmers who are contracted to Budweiser. Who's going to help them? Feed them to the Gators? Oh the humanity, the humanity.

Reading this article by Steve Hindy, I would really like to know what he thinks of the craft brewing scene here in Australia, how would he truthfully rate the craft beers produced over here, on his figures of 92,000 people for every brewery in Australia, and as he would have sampled quite a few, what sort of market share would he expect our micro breweries to achieve.
Tasting Brooklyn Breweries beers seems to leave our micro's well behind the 8ball, our brewers have to get their act together and stop trying to copy other styles and come up with their own style of beer like McCashin's have done with their Kiwi Pale Ale, and as Brooklyn Brewery did with their first beer Brooklyn Lager, we have got to be more competitive on the craft beer scene just as we are in sport then we may get somewhere.
https://www.brewsnews.com.au/2015/05/brewing-giants-in-a-fix-steve-hindy/

Latest posts

Back