urn price

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
does that mean crown is better? more expensive so must be better ? :D

I'm going for a buffalo for $200 shipped... Might need some mods to get it bang on, but I'm a tinkerer ;)

Whiggish comes to 200 shipped for those interested ;)

lukasfab said:
does that mean crown is better? more expensive so must be better ? :D
When we looked into both Birko and Crown, there wasn't a huge difference - but we ended up going with Crown, as we thought it a better urn for homebrewing. If only I could remember why...

Spiesy said:
When we looked into both Birko and Crown, there wasn't a huge difference - but we ended up going with Crown, as we thought it a better urn for homebrewing. If only I could remember why...
less plastic?

I bought my Birko from there. Good price, and pretty central in Sydney if you can't wait for delivery and want to pick it up to start a brew right away!

I had a Birko then moved onto a Crown. Birko seems to be getting really cheap and plasticky and the tap is pretty crappy compared to the old school Birkos you see around meeting halls etc.

edit: good idea to fit a 3 piece ball valve when the urn is brand new.

Crown is excellent for the price but has a sensitive boil-dry probe on the exposed element model that can cut out with a massive hop load (say 120g of Saaz in a Bo Pils).

Apart from that, highly recommend.

Poms go for Buffalos, can't see anything wrong with them either, a UK forum would be the best place to get reviews.

We have worked with Crown on improving the urn for BIAB brewing. The concealed element Crown Urns that we sell are factory set with a higher cut out temperature to allow for some silting over the base & the fact you're boiling wort, not water (wort boils at higher temp). I would doubt Birko's bought for general online sales would. Likewise as others have stated, we feel the Crown is a better build. Our advice is - Buy wisely, buy once.....

cheers

Ross
www.craftbrewer.com.au

That's brilliant news, Ross. I guess Crown aren't telepathic so they wouldn't have had home brew in mind until you started your relationship with them.

In the tragic event of mine karking it I'll go your model next time. If I ever get to outlive the urn that is :lol:

ed: I'd guess that the higher cutout would remove the well-discussed perception amongst some brewers that the concealed element in the previous model didn't give a good rolling boil?

Ross said:
We have worked with Crown on improving the urn for BIAB brewing. The concealed element Crown Urns that we sell are factory set with a higher cut out temperature to allow for some silting over the base & the fact you're boiling wort, not water (wort boils at higher temp). I would doubt Birko's bought for general online sales would. Likewise as others have stated, we feel the Crown is a better build. Our advice is - Buy wisely, buy once.....
I understand Martin - National Home Brew - sells those too. Great work on that, I have one and it is an amazingly simple and reliable bit of kit. 8% IPAs are a breeze.

indica86 said:
I understand Martin - National Home Brew - sells those too. Great work on that, I have one and it is an amazingly simple and reliable bit of kit. 8% IPAs are a breeze.
Yep. Lots of home-brew retailers sell them.

Spare parts are easily obtained as well, just join a social or hobby group that meets at a church or showground hall :ph34r:

I've had an old school, no plastic Birko urn for the past five years. It's still going strong, but if I had my time again I would have went with a 70 or 100L pot and probe elements. I was living in an 1850's single storey terrace at the time and so was very limited with storage space.

Thanks for that info Ross , seems your out of stock mate.

i have a 70l pot which is new and un touched at the moment, just not sure what element to stick in it?

so was thinking to change it for the urn

Thanks for that info Ross , seems your out of stock mate.

i have a 70l pot which is new and un touched at the moment, just not sure what element to stick in it?

so was thinking to change it for the urn

Latest posts

Back