Unexpected Adjunct.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acarey

Reaction score
So I just whirlpooled my latest BIAB effort at the end of the boil (Little creatures clone).

Found a dead bee in it. The little ******* was annoying me around at various stages of the brewing process. I guess he got a bit close at some point during the boil.

So..... assuming he fell in around 30 minutes from the end, will this affect the bitterness or flavour? Maybe add some spice? 'Bee' isn't an available adjunct option in Brewmate or Beersmith.

What crazy ingredients have made their way into your beer and what affect did it have?

Boiled my reading glasses once. Didn't' do them any harm apart from I had to get the plastic nose pads replaced.

Don't tell anyone, you might be onto something!

Had two huge moths in a Pils once. Was a great beer, but the glass kept getting attracted to the lights.

acarey said:
So I just whirlpooled my latest BIAB effort at the end of the boil (Little creatures clone).

Found a dead bee in it. The little ******* was annoying me around at various stages of the brewing process. I guess he got a bit close at some point during the boil.

So..... assuming he fell in around 30 minutes from the end, will this affect the bitterness or flavour? Maybe add some spice? 'Bee' isn't an available adjunct option in Brewmate or Beersmith.
It's named correctly then, Little Creatures Clone.
He may have fallen it @ 60mins & that would bee & great beetering addition............Sorry, carry on.

Hardly an adjunct as it doesnt create fermentables. Extra or spice addition. I wouldnt give it to anyone with a bee alergy. But yeah who cares. Hit of extra protein.

No reason why the pollen shouldn't be fermentable :lol: it might even out the bitterness of the poison!

Im still a k&k brewer, but are looking to do my first mini biab within the next few weeks. Its hard enough trying to get my head around things with out adding adjuncts like that :p.

boiled a small geko at one point hence the name lizard ale, everyone thought it was because they were flat out like a lizard drinking it.

manticle said:
Would you believe a small tiger?

No?

What about a fruit bat?
Depends if they had honest faces...

Seems like the majority of my brews end up with dog hair in them, dosen't affect the taste but can make you feel a bit ruff...

Ok back into my hole now.

Just hive some off and try it.

Mashed a big black house spider once. He wasn't happy to start with, but he lay back and thought of England after about the first minute. Was a good beer from memory.

I reckon my beers have suffered since changing to a mash tun which is closed. I used to use the number of stuck bees in the mash as a measure of conversion.

When I moved into my new house it was in a new estate so cleared with no trees or bushes or anything just sand. Decided I needed to brew, got to the boil and from no where I had around 10 bees hovering. They get disorientated by the steam and drop in. Have to brew in the evening now if im outside otherwise they just come in packs.

Back