Careless brewer rant: underboiling & miscalculated efficiency

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtb

Beer Bod
Reaction score
Catherine Aird once stated, “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning". I seem to be attuned to the latter. This post is little more than a rant but if it toggles a light bulb moment for someone in the same boat, that's great too.

TL;DR: I recently overcame what should have been a simple issue to resolve, but it took months because I neglected to measure pre/post boil volumes and I didn't know what a proper boil should look like.

On many brews over the past nine months, my pre-boil gravity reading was many points higher than the target - just a point or so shy of my target OG - which caused me to assume that I'd somehow hit a higher mash efficiency than expected. I adjusted my recipes on the fly to accommodate this prior to the boil by adjusting the pale ale hop schedule to that of an IPA, increasing the IBU / flavour / aroma additions to complement the post-boil OG projected by the unexpectedly high pre-boil gravity.

After the boil, to my frustration, I'd find that I had hit the originally projected OG. I had the OG & projected ABV of a pale ale, but the hop schedule of an IPA, meaning it was far too bitter. This occurred with other styles as well; although I didn't make adjustments to the recipe on the fly, I ended up hitting my target OG, but the resulting beers were a bit crap. I couldn't pick why and I found maybe one in five was decent enough for my liking, but even then I preferred commercial beers and this shat me like nothing else. I blamed my hydrometer, the hydrometer temperature adjustment calculator I used, Beersmith, having too many beers during the brew day; I got pretty frustrated with it all.

Well, it was my burner. More specifically, I wasn't running it hot enough. The boil wasn't vigorous enough to achieve proper evaporation rates. The penny dropped only when I immersed my temperature probe during the last 10min of the boil, to sanitise it, and I noticed that the reading was 98C. I switched out the burner with a rambo burner I had nearby, and suddenly the shed was full of vapour.. yep, definitely an increased boiloff rate, I thought.
It explained the presence of DMS (creamed / cooked corn flavour) in some of my beers. It explained the unexpected gravity readings. It explained bloody everything. The inconsistency of results (I brewed an award winning IPA in February, for example) is likely explained by weather conditions, where a lack of wind would improve the effectiveness of the burner.

Am I angry with myself? Yeah, a little. I tend to take a less-than-scientific approach with troubleshooting which is odd since I'm in IT and that's what we get paid to bloody do. Overall though, I'm just glad that I found the cause of the issue, and the pain from tipping out three kegs will be offset by the new variety of beers which are currently fermenting and building me a very high expectation. If you see something on the news about a crazy Canberran hurling kegs, beer paraphernalia & his own feces at innocent bystanders while blabbering obscenities, it's probably me, and it's probably because these beers turned out shit too.

</rant>

Rant or otherwise, acknowledging your mistakes and learning from them, good on you.

Faeces hurling might have something to do with it too, keep that out of the brewery.

You reckon the feces would introduce some unwanted esters?

Yeah they'd probably add sulphur notes too.

I definitely agree with your sentiment - I also had very inconsistent gravities but for a different reason. Essentially my volume measurements were woefully unprecise which meant I would chronically under-sparge. Once I started being more methodical and careful with my measurements, I started hitting my targets.

Am currently experiencing similar issues , this post has confirmed that , that I should push on persevere. ... but quitting would be easy ... and I really would like to make some decent brews [emoji37][emoji37]

Good to hear an honest post !

micbrew said:
Am currently experiencing similar issues , this post has confirmed that , that I should push on persevere. ... but quitting would be easy ... and I really would like to make some decent brews [emoji37][emoji37]

Good to hear an honest post !
You'll get there in the end.. the old adages are definitely true though, take plenty of notes and share them with others, the root cause is there somewhere.

Im surprised your final volumes weren't tipping you off. Did you find you were getting more in the fermenter? If it were down to low heat and hence less evaporation you should have seen an increase in the volume. If your volumes were spot on then it will be worth looking at your losses becasue if you are now getting higher evap and OG then somethings gotta give- volume.

I definitely would've seen an increase in volumes - that's why the lesson learned was to measure pre/post boil volumes. Unfortunately I'm a lazy shit and have not yet bothered to etch some volume markings into my pot, and I'm using SS fermenters so no easy way to measure volume there. Maybe this weekend I'll get the vinegar & cotton tips and get etching..

Hmmmmm , in the pursuit of beer excellence.

if us normal folk , get all excited about brewing and get swamped with all of the brew day hi jinx
checking , evaluating , re calling info , different methods , spilling hot wort over onself , leaving taps on fark when does it ever stop :blink: :blink:

it easy to overlook , forget , make stupid mistakes etc etc ....
soooo , on track to make a decent beer around mid 2018 :p :p

Just note temperature for a boil isn't always 100c this is dependent on altitude, and one of the new all in one systems actually uses a lower temperature (low 90's from memory), the designers/engineers go into great detail explaining the boil isn't just about evaporation (yes you have to remove DMS) but also agitation (which BTW increases evaporation anyway). I believe MHB has stated before that DMS is gone within the first 20min of a good boil. A good boil is not necessarily jumping out of the pot but a nice gentle roll. For me with the braumonster I sometimes with double batches( the extra volume of tripples seems to calm it) find I'm either going nuts or barely simmering. You'll get there!

malt junkie said:
Just note temperature for a boil isn't always 100c this is dependent on altitude, and one of the new all in one systems actually uses a lower temperature (low 90's from memory), the designers/engineers go into great detail explaining the boil isn't just about evaporation (yes you have to remove DMS) but also agitation (which BTW increases evaporation anyway). I believe MHB has stated before that DMS is gone within the first 20min of a good boil. A good boil is not necessarily jumping out of the pot but a nice gentle roll. For me with the braumonster I sometimes with double batches( the extra volume of tripples seems to calm it) find I'm either going nuts or barely simmering. You'll get there!
Yeah, there were other indicators that I wasn't getting full evaporation - namely the relative lack of steam and the excess of volume into fermenter (I knew it was more than expected, just not exactly how much more)

98 is boiling for Canberra. Intensity is what you lacked. A minimum %5 boil off is recommended.

MitchD said:
98 is boiling for Canberra. Intensity is what you lacked. A minimum %5 boil off is recommended.
Gotcha. Yeah if I plug some numbers into Beersmith's Boil Off tool, it tells me I basically did a 10min boil's worth of evaporation in my latest batch, judging by the pre/post boil gravity readings entered into the tool. Last night's brew was a very different story thankfully, I boiled the living bejesus out of the wort to be absolutely sure I was ruling out the underboil as a factor, and with good results.

I relate to the pre boil gravity readings being very confusing. As being far higher than estimations and confusing you to think you've got far higher efficiency but the reading is simply a miss reading.
I gave up on pre boil gravity readings as being useless. Very fiddly time consuming pointless procedure.
My final results are very close to estimations (Beersmith). No need to fuss and stuff around with pre boil gravity readings. IMO that can through you off track.

manticle said:
I'd be surprised if he did.
Stand corrected it was something Ferg alluded to in this thread, and to clarify for others; DMS has a half life of 40mins in a rolling boil, though read the thread through the lads did some extensive testing. It was two years and sooo many beers ago...... :blink:

cheers mant's for the heads up :)

I found maybe one in five was decent enough for my liking, but even then I preferred commercial beers and this shat me like nothing else

well said

I'll favour the contraray

droid said:

I found maybe one in five was decent enough for my liking, but even then I preferred commercial beers and this shat me like nothing else

well said
I'll favour the contrary. I've spent money on commercial styles comparing it with my home brew and prefer my home brew.

mtb said:
You reckon the feces would introduce some unwanted esters?
Yeah, just don't start bronzing up on brew days and you'll be right bloke.

A sobering topic post to read as I've recently found myself looking closer at my own water figures over the last few brews chasing down more accountability in my measurements and processes.

You're a passionate man mtb, just remember that the next time you don't hit your targets and lose your s#!t, start bronzing up, hurling kegs at stunned bystanders, and babbling in brewers tongues. :)

Latest posts

Back