Careless brewer rant: underboiling & miscalculated efficiency

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stouter said:
You're a passionate man mtb, just remember that the next time you don't hit your targets and lose your s#!t, start bronzing up, hurling kegs at stunned bystanders, and babbling in brewers tongues. :)
This is exactly why you don't start drinking until after the first hop addition.

WarmerBeer said:
This is exactly why you don't start drinking until after the first hop addition.
What you're saying is, I need to start mash hopping?

Yes, no pants brewing with a smidge of crack scratching is one thing. Bronzed up brewing is completely next level s#!t, in a very literal form.

Stouter said:
You're a passionate man mtb, just remember that the next time you don't hit your targets and lose your s#!t, start bronzing up, hurling kegs at stunned bystanders, and babbling in brewers tongues. :)
Thanks mate. I'll be sure to take this on board - and to the innocent non-brewing bystander, nonsensical blabbering about gravity and volume is just grade-A looney talk anyway.

mtb said:
I definitely would've seen an increase in volumes - that's why the lesson learned was to measure pre/post boil volumes. Unfortunately I'm a lazy shit and have not yetI bothered to etch some volume markings into my pot, and I'm using SS fermenters so no easy way to measure volume there. Maybe this weekend I'll get the vinegar & cotton tips and get etching..
Ok yeah that makes sense.
For a quick fix - and one I still use cos I couldnt get the cotton tip thing to work, you can just make up a measuring stick.
Some decent class18 40mm PVC pipe will do (lower classes tend to warp when introduced to boiling wort). Get a reliable measuring jug and pour 5L into the kettle. Let it settle and then use a timber stick to get a measurement (easy to see the water line on timber). Repeat a few more times for 10 and 15L and get the tape measure out and work out the average mm per 5L (ideally it should be the same measurement but there is likely to be a bit of error- hence the average).
Using this, go ahead and mark out your PVC pipe in 5L increments.

mtb said:
I definitely would've seen an increase in volumes - that's why the lesson learned was to measure pre/post boil volumes. Unfortunately I'm a lazy shit and have not yetI bothered to etch some volume markings into my pot, and I'm using SS fermenters so no easy way to measure volume there. Maybe this weekend I'll get the vinegar & cotton tips and get etching..
For a quick fix - and one I still use cos I couldnt get the cotton tip thing to work, you can just make up a measuring stick.
Some decent class18 40mm PVC pipe will do (lower classes tend to warp when introduced to boiling wort). Get a reliable measuring jug and pour 5L into the kettle. Let it settle and then use a timber stick to get a measurement (easy to see the water line on timber). Repeat a few more times for 10 and 15L and get the tape measure out and work out the average mm per 5L (ideally it should be the same measurement but there is likely to be a bit of error- hence the average).

WarmerBeer said:
If you fall off your bike before the first corner, do you walk that section the next time you race?

A SS ruler and a volume measurement spreadsheet will help with your measurements. I wouldn't go the etching route because 100L at 100C will be different measurement to 100L at 20C, 60C and 80C.

If you search for one of the brew in a bag spreadsheets you can just change your kettle diameter to suit your own and use that. Working in IT you're probably a whiz and could make your own.

manticle said:
If you fall off your bike before the first corner, do you walk that section the next time you race?
Depends on how many beers I'd had before hitting that first corner.

Hector_The_Safety_Cat.jpg

Safety first, kids

mtb said:
I definitely would've seen an increase in volumes - that's why the lesson learned was to measure pre/post boil volumes. Unfortunately I'm a lazy shit and have not yet bothered to etch some volume markings into my pot, and I'm using SS fermenters so no easy way to measure volume there. Maybe this weekend I'll get the vinegar & cotton tips and get etching..

Droopy Brew said:
Stainless steel ruler is what i use. Added 1 litre at a time and noted how many mm's it went up the ruler each time. Do about 10 litres and you can pretty accurately figure out how many mm's a litre is.

huez said:
Stainless steel ruler is what i use. Added 1 litre at a time and noted how many mm's it went up the ruler each time. Do about 10 litres and you can pretty accurately figure out how many mm's a litre is.
Sounds like this the way to go, yeah. I'd be worried about the markings on the ruler leaching crap into my wort though (they're probably adhesive labels or paint, right?)

Midnight Brew said:
Working in IT you're probably a whiz and could make your own.
Nah Google is the only reason I'm employed these days at all

Latest posts

Back