Ubrewit Franchise

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducatiboy stu

Reaction score
I have a mate ( an ex-publican ) who is looking at a uBrewit franchise, maybe in Tamworth, but so far has very little knowledge of the actual equipment and costs.

He likes the idea that he can set it up somewhere and basically can run it at arms length. He also has almost no knowledge of AG brewing, so has been picking my brains on the subject.

Might be an opening for some sort of consultancy/management work....

Has anyone had any experience with these types of setups...

Approx $300,000 for a franchise including all equipment I believe.
The brew on premise place at Underwood in Qld is one of the main franchisees if you want to contact them.

cheers ross

I have a mate ( an ex-publican ) who is looking at a uBrewit franchise, maybe in Tamworth, but so far has very little knowledge of the actual equipment and costs.

He likes the idea that he can set it up somewhere and basically can run it at arms length. He also has almost no knowledge of AG brewing, so has been picking my brains on the subject.

Might be an opening for some sort of consultancy/management work....

Has anyone had any experience with these types of setups...
PM sent
GB

The average cost for these types of business is between 300 and 400 thousand. There is a different brand in Sydney that is around 450, and I've heard uBrewit is around 300 also as Ross suggests.

There are around half a dozen different companies now offering franchise opporunities in the brew on premises market these days, so tell your mate to have a shop around first before deciding on the uBrewit solution/brand.

The average cost for these types of business is between 300 and 400 thousand. There is a different brand in Sydney that is around 450, and I've heard uBrewit is around 300 also as Ross suggests.

There are around half a dozen different companies now offering franchise opporunities in the brew on premises market these days, so tell your mate to have a shop around first before deciding on the uBrewit solution/brand.

I am sure he will do his homework, as you just dont casually spend 300+k just to have shiny stuff in a big shed.

He lives on the Central Coast. so he is going to have a look at the setup at Wyong

Also check out the Beer Factory setup in Sydney then as its not far from him either.

Ducatiboy, I live on the Central Coast and only about 10mins from Wyong
so I know the area pretty well. Your mate may have to look for
a different area to set up in as there is a U-brew it already in Gosford,
about 15mins from Wyong.

All the ones I've seen in action are using liquid malt extract, and the odd ingredient here and there thrown in during the boil (for example oats). I'd imagine they'd all operate in the same manner for efficiency of turn-over between clients.

All the ones I've seen in action are using liquid malt extract, and the odd ingredient here and there thrown in during the boil (for example oats). I'd imagine they'd all operate in the same manner for efficiency of turn-over between clients.

Most are extract but not all - The BOP at Capalaba up here is AG.

Cheers Ross

The brew on premise place at Underwood in Qld is one of the main franchisees if you want to contact them.

cheers ross

Thats a lot of capital to sink into something like this. I dont think that a place like Tamworth would be big enough to support it.

Slightly off topic but what the hell, I noticed in an ad in Beer & Brewer that a BoP in Victoria offers to _can_ the beer.

I know the ones at Capalaba and Underwood both made noises at times about setting up bottling lines too so someone interested in jumping in to this might want to consider extra cost of setting up packaging equipment. As a past customer of BoP I can tell you that hand bottling from a tap soon becomes a chore and turns you off the process.

Slightly off topic but what the hell, I noticed in an ad in Beer & Brewer that a BoP in Victoria offers to _can_ the beer.

A mate in Melbourne went to a UBrewIt near him and tried them out. I think it cost him around $140 and he said he got six (6) cases for that. I tried one of the brew, a Corona clone, wasn't too bad. All his beer was in 500ml cans (not sure what the case size was for the 500ml cans though). Only problem was that once he picked up his finished product he was told he had to keep all six cases cold until they were drunk. The other thing was that the cans were not labelled with the type of beer, so he had a couple of different styles and it was pot luck which one he cracked.

Thats a lot of capital to sink into something like this. I dont think that a place like Tamworth would be big enough to support it.

This is true, and I doubt he would set up one in Gosord/Wyong, as he is already aware that there is already one there.And he is a businessman...

But, if he only had a fairly small setup then his capitol costs wont be as big. He would only build it big enough to serve the market.His idea was to have someone go in whenever required to open up the shed and oversee the operation.

He chose Tamworth because

A. He owned a Pub and Bottle shop there and knows the area and what the towm is like
B. His son still lives there
c. He is looking at a market that also includes the surrounds of tamworth as well, ie Gunnedah etc
D. He is sick of pubs, but still enjoys beer...

This is true, and I doubt he would set up one in Gosord/Wyong, as he is already aware that there is already one there.And he is a businessman...

But, if he only had a fairly small setup then his capitol costs wont be as big. He would only build it big enough to serve the market.His idea was to have someone go in whenever required to open up the shed and oversee the operation.

He chose Tamworth because

A. He owned a Pub and Bottle shop there and knows the area and what the towm is like
B. His son still lives there
c. He is looking at a market that also includes the surrounds of tamworth as well, ie Gunnedah etc
D. He is sick of pubs, but still enjoys beer...

Fair enough, I didnt mean to make it sound like he didnt know what he was doing.

What Tamworth does need is a HBS. The Mitre 10 down there used to do homebrew, but they closed down. If you were to run a HBS with a brewing rig out the back (or the other way around) you'd probably do OK.

Ive thought about doing a HBS in Tamworth a couple of times now (found the perfect spot for a the shop too), but I dont think I have either the skills or the desire to live in Tamworth.

Do you know what pub he owned?

cheers ross

Does anyone know if people actually make any money out of these things?

I know the ones at Capalaba and Underwood both made noises at times about setting up bottling lines too so someone interested in jumping in to this might want to consider extra cost of setting up packaging equipment. As a past customer of BoP I can tell you that hand bottling from a tap soon becomes a chore and turns you off the process.

Alot of the B.O.P. in Aust are using the Cask Systems from Canada.

Web Customer list.

With one in Melb using the can system.
Not sure if it under pressure or just fill and seal from the tap.

Hope a % of the franchise fee isn't for that info... :eek:

Be nice if you could fill your own (AG) from your carbed keg for take-aways
I inquired a was told no go (infection risk).

:)

Hi Guys,
I have actually found my way here after brewing ubrewits Irish Dry Recipe. This beer is sensational & was looking for the actual recipe including cooking times so that I could have a go at it at home as a stove top brew. Is anybody aware of the recipe?
Thanks...Bart

Hi Guys,
I have actually found my way here after brewing ubrewits Irish Dry Recipe. This beer is sensational & was looking for the actual recipe including cooking times so that I could have a go at it at home as a stove top brew. Is anybody aware of the recipe?
Thanks...Bart

As this place uses extract I would search for an extract Irish Red in the database.

Yours will be better, I have no doubt, as long as you can control the ferment temp.

Latest posts

Back