Trois Monts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
neonmeate said:
got any more info? i can't find anything on the wyeast site.
sounds promising...
[post="107402"][/post]​
http://hbd.org/discus/messages/1/34830.html

Sounds very promising, especially if the Farmhouse one is from Blaugies...

That's about all I've been able to find. That MJR guy posted that he'd started a brew with the BdG yeast so hopefully he'll post back with his results. Think he posted about it on BA too.

well 2 years later i'm finally going ahead with this bugger - using the new 3711 French Saison yeast that i think will get me pretty close - fairly neutral but high attenuation and nice tartness.
bohemian pilsener malt for maltiness and UK brewers gold from craftbrewer which i hope isnt too far off the belgian brewers gold.

3 monts ish

Recipe Overview
Wort Volume Before Boil: 23.00 l Wort Volume After Boil: 20.00 l
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.061 SG Expected OG: 1.076 SG
Expected FG: 1.012 SG Apparent Attenuation: 82.9 %
Expected ABV: 8.6 % Expected ABW: 6.7 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 28.3 IBU Expected Color: 3.4 SRM
Mash Efficiency: 75.0 % Approx Color:
Boil Duration: 90.0 mins

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % When
Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner Malt 6.00 kg 95.2 % In Mash/Steeped
Sugar - White Sugar/Sucrose 0.30 kg 4.8 % Start Of Boil

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount Form When
UK Brewers Gold 5.0 45 g pellets 90 Min From End
German Tettnang 2.2 57 g (4 plugs) 1 Min From End

Just opening this one up again.

After talking a little about BDG yesterday with TD just curious how you went with this one NM? (beautiful 3 acronyms in one line)

Was it worth the effort or is she still ageing in a secondary full of corks? B)

Warren -

for the record (have already pmd ww with the details) the 3711 got this wort down to 1000 fg!!! crazy. still maturing its way through the 10% abv at the moment. but promising.

Bit of a ressurrection of oldish thread.

Just finishing the last of a trois monts now.

Reminds me of duvel (haven't had one in a while) and my recent attempt at a duvel homage (belgian golden strong) which I've put in the recipe db. Makes me think the category of golden strong really should just merge with biere de garde.

Anyway damn good drop. Strong as an Ostrich's britches, some sweetness, dry fthirst quenching finish and just a small hint of the belgian phenolic/yeasty thing without going overboard. Superbly balanced, enough warm alcohol that it's.........well......warming without being hot or out of balance. Clear as a bell, lovely lacing.

Thumbs up, buying this again.

I'm sipping on my first ever trois monts. Bloody hell what a beautiful beer. Looks like a euro pils, but is so much better!. I guess subtle is the word. I can't believe it's 8.5%. There are good strong beers where the alcohol is super smooth but this just drinks like 5%. I really like how you get subtle Belgiany type flavours. Very subtle, and smooth as. I just got some WY beire de garde yeast and am now hanging to get something cubed!. I'll be grabbing some more of this in the interest of research

hey sorry i didnt reply to those bumps 5 years ago. it was a good beer but it sure wasn't trois monts.

the basic wort i think was good but 3711 just was too attenuative and the 10% alcohol wasn't quite what i wanted - too much alcohol warmth, too many esters, and too much 3711-yeasty flavour if you get me. also fermented too warm i think back in january 2008. i've gone off that yeast lately as i find it a bit too aggressively lemony. and 3M just isn't that fruity.

i'm going to try a 3M clone again, fermented cool, with 1007 this time. 1076 OG, dingemans pils, white sugar, brewers gold for bitterness, little bit of 15-minute tettnang. 1007 will probably be too clean but let's see. i wonder how much of that subtle woody/spicy flavour in the beer comes from the particular hops they use and how much from the yeast.

perhaps should try with the schelde yeast some time, or bastogne, or belgian stout - cleaner belgian yeasts. or WL072. but i've got a nice cake of 1007 so i'll give that a go.

Have you tried the pc biere de garde yeast?
Got one ob tap at the monent.

3725? yes have had some of malnourished's beer brewed with that - very nice. a bit fruitier than a biere de garde though - comes from fantome doesnt it - i had fantome saison once - that was very funky and fruity indeed.

I reckon the 3725 is great for beire de garde. I get a mustyness or perfuminess from the yeast that I think makes it. I see lots of recommendations for a really clean yeast for beire de garde but that just seems odd to me, just my preference. I don't want super clean, I want subtle esters, and character in beire de gardes. Not long ago finished the last of my first batch. It was fantastic, if I do say so myself :).

I abused the 3725, started cool, maybe 20, then freaking cranked it to 30, til it was done, which was about 5 days from memory ( 1.070-1.005 ). Bit harsh early, but after a good 6 months +, it got really smooth and sexy. Must do again

neonmeate said:
3725? yes have had some of malnourished's beer brewed with that - very nice. a bit fruitier than a biere de garde though - comes from fantome doesnt it - i had fantome saison once - that was very funky and fruity indeed.
I believe 3726 is the fantome yeast, but don't know for sure.

3726 is blaugies, 3725 fantome - however fantome also have a range of wild yeasts and bugs they add to their beers i think.
just read on babblebelt that wlp072 is reputedly st sylvestre! well well.

i agree about clean yeasts for bdg - they may be a bit fruity but not often phenolic and doughy like belgian yeasts.what was your recipe mje

I get a touch of bubblegum, a touch of peach and a touch of marshmallow but not super fruity. I don't push the temps though - 17-18 degrees throughout. No sugar - pils, vienna and munich, tett and styrians from memory to hit around 8%abv. I'll see if I can find the most recent recipe - not designed to be a 3M clone but inspired by that beer. Decoctions and step mashing to get some of that soft, fresh bread character and full creamy body with a dry finish.

Sort of. I step mash most brews with an immersion element but when I decoct, obiouvsly that raises the temp when added back in. If I hit temp with some left, I set the remainder aside and add later - otherwise I add in, then raise with element. Means I can be guestimatey with amounts to be pulled.

neonmeate said:
3726 is blaugies, 3725 fantome - however fantome also have a range of wild yeasts and bugs they add to their beers i think.
just read on babblebelt that wlp072 is reputedly st sylvestre! well well.
i agree about clean yeasts for bdg - they may be a bit fruity but not often phenolic and doughy like belgian yeasts.what was your recipe mje
I know what you mean, very subtle Belgian flavours, but they're there.

77.4% best pils
8.1% best Munich
6.5% wheat
8.1% sugar ( added after a few days fermentation )

62-45, 72-15

20 IBU ( Hallertau 60 )

Took 6 days from my notes.

Next time I'll just go all ding pils, and aim for 1.065. It hit 1.005, so was just over 9%, I'd prefer closer to 8%.

thats a pretty attenuative yeast! the beer (and manticle's) sounds yummy. i do remember "pink" fruity flavours from malnourished's 3725 beer - peach and apricot esters.

im thinking decoction and long boil is definitely the way to get the deep golden colour out of all pils malt. i may mash high and keep sugar to 200-300g to get a bit of a higher fg - if 3m really is 8.5%abv and if protz is right with the 1080 OG that means fg of 1016 - and with sugar too.

next got to find some brewers gold... i saw mark's hb had uk brewers gold but ross seems to be out of the german stuff... anyone want to be in a bulk buy of french brewers gold... http://www.hops-comptoir.com/hop-brewers-gold-alsace/128-hop-brewers-gold-pellets-45.html
alternatively i may just sub northern brewer, or bramling cross (?!)

Latest posts

Back