Tooheys New All grain recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seato

Reaction score
Before casting judgement on the beer choice, please read on...

My old man has drank Tooheys Draught now New for at least 3 decades. He has quite enjoyed some of the APAs and IPAs that I have had on tap, this was a slow and painful process, but he now comes to our place without his own supply. I would like to pull off an New All Grain batch for Christmas for Dad and a big portion of the relatives.

I know this has been covered before but I'll lay out my plan of attack and any advice would be appreciated.

50 lt batch in keg king two pot system.

9kg Pilsner malt
3kg Munich malt
1kg medium crystal

Mash at 62-64 for 60 minutes.

60g Pride of Ringwood for 60min
20g Pride of Ringwood for 0min

Chill to 18 degrees and ferment at 12 degrees for 14 days with W34/70 in fermenter fridge.

Rack and add gelatine and chill at 2 degrees for 14 days.

Keg and wait for judgement.

Advice?

At the lower mash temp maybe 90 min might be better.
After all your hard work to enlighten him his response to your kind gesture might be "what's this shit?"
Dave

A lot of crystal.

I tried a TN clone for my friend. 50-50 BB ale and BB pale, 1 g per litre por at 60 . It was very easy drinker but not TN.next time i try i am going to do 75-25 ale-pale and up the poo too. I was a little scard to drop it later in the boil, but I will try it.

Eagleburger said:
A lot of crystal.

I tried a TN clone for my friend. 50-50 BB ale and BB pale, 1 g per litre por at 60 . It was very easy drinker but not TN.next time i try i am going to do 75-25 ale-pale and up the poo too. I was a little scard to drop it later in the boil, but I will try it.
I try and drop them during the mash so to avoid boilovers while im away from the brewery

Eagleburger said:
and up the poo too.
Don’t know about the poo, most on here agree the dominant flavour is wee.

(sorry couldn’t resist, really didn't want to start the urine jokes in this thread though)

Seen a few mega swill clone threads on AHB and this thread has some great advice. Different beer yes but wouldnt be far off. Worth PMing Bribie too for some advice as he has done a few himself and plenty of research. Here is a thread: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/82974-very-close-to-vb/

Also I think your grist would be more like just ale malt and a touch of roast barley. Cluster or Pride of Ringwood to bitter and a lager yeast fermented a bit warmer. Aim for 4.5% with a dry finish. Also worth reading through the XXXX clone threads and the Carlton Draught threads.

I'd drop some of the pale and add dextrose. I'm also sceptical if they use any crystal. I'm out at Tooheys tomorrow- would you like me to ask the brewers what they actually use?

For what it's worth I made my first aussie lager recently using only a 60 min addition of POR to 25IBU. I was quite surprised how much the hop flavour came though with this. I'd be inclined to drop the 0 min hops and leave it as a 60 min additional only (or maybe a 60 min and a 30 min). Mine was a general aussie lager, not tooheys specific so I'm not sure on the differences.

My recipe was 85% Pale, 10% Munich, 5% Sugar and the 60 min POR. Mash low for 90 mins. Will be doing this again soon, very simple and easy to drink.

I've got an Aussie Lager in the fermenter now. My recipe was.
80% Pilsner, 6% Carapils, 12% Rice, 2% Sucrose.
75min mash @ 65deg
60 min - POR for 15 IBU
20 min - POR for 5 IBU and Galaxy for 4 IBU
Fermenting with Czech Pilsner Wy#2278 yeast @ 11deg.
OG 1.044, est FG~1.008

Had a taste from the hydro reading the other day and it's tasting pretty mega swill-ish. Should be easy drinking on a hot summer day.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I was rethinking the crystal quantity anyway. Will repost once I've got my modified brew mate recipe. I am waiting till my Tooheys Intel comes in.

Thanks for that Klangers

sluggerdog said:
For what it's worth I made my first aussie lager recently using only a 60 min addition of POR to 25IBU. I was quite surprised how much the hop flavour came though with this. I'd be inclined to drop the 0 min hops and leave it as a 60 min additional only (or maybe a 60 min and a 30 min). Mine was a general aussie lager, not tooheys specific so I'm not sure on the differences.

My recipe was 85% Pale, 10% Munich, 5% Sugar and the 60 min POR. Mash low for 90 mins. Will be doing this again soon, very simple and easy to drink.
IMO sluggerdog is on the money. All those mega beers taste the same after the first half glass anyway :lol:

When I do one I keep the IBU's to around 22 (tinseth) with a 60 min addition or you could go a 45 min addition to the same IBU....I would not put POR in at the end of the boil.
Use a nice clean lager yeast as well. 2042 seems to be the popular one although S189 works well for a dry yeast.

Ive done a couple of aussie lagers, and from my experiences, the grain bill needs adjustment. Last time i used 100% bb pilsener and it came out being more malty than what was intended bittered to 25 ibu. next time ill ride closer to the style and sub 20% of the fermentables for white cane sugar. This would be closer to the mark, and i think bribie may have even suggested this in the past. Certainly would be close to what the big breweries do with their swill lagers

For the yeast, i used s189, was happy with this choice. It fermented nice and clean/neutral which is what you want

I have a batch I'm just finishing, almost spot on, a litle light on up front bitteness and a little dry

75% plis
14%dex
10%carapils
1% pale crystal

mash 61c 90 min
boil 90
.7gm/litre POR 60 min
Danish lager big pitch 7.8c fement for 16 days.

Is a little dry but its a bloody good crack at megaswill and actually has some nice character.
Would swap 2% of the carapils for extra pale for a New clone and up POR to .8/.9 gms a litre and mash a degree higher.

Your biggest problem is time, it took 4 months at .2c in the bottle to hit its prime.

Thirsty Boy may shoot me down in flames but I understand that Aussie breweries traditionally have used roast barley, not crystal, to slightly darken their old school beers like Reschs original draught etc. No more than about 15 grams. As a Pom who came straight to QLD I didn't visit NSW until I'd been here for about 5 years and until then assumed that Aussie beers were very pale as with XXXX and Carlton.

On crossing the border to Tenterfield, Grafton and Yamba on holiday around 1980 I was surprised that so many NSW brews were not pale but amber. Hence the Barry Mckenzie-ism, "the amber fluid".

Roast barley gives a dry crispness without sweetening, I wouldn't mind betting that Tooheys New has a trace. The Joe White RB, not the UK variety.

And yes, sugar, and as little hops as you can get away with, to around 19 IBU.

Remember these are high gravity and high mash temp beers. Stand temp is likely 70c, why put in crystal for flavour and body when you can use the dextrins from high temp.

Correct on the RB, ave alc is 7% before cutting with deaerated water to trade gravity. Ferment with neutral lager yeast at 16 c for 4 days and away you go ...

I wonder what the difference is between diluting pre- or post-ferment. If there is anything to it other than making the yeast stress out a little more.

Latest posts

Back